Raspberry Server: Web Edition
Built by Coburn's Domain.
Raspberry Server: Web Edition is a linux distro that has been optimized for use as a web server - if you ever wanted to run your own wiki, blog or anything on the R-Pi, this is for you. Many tweaks have been applied and things have been stripped from the official Raspbian Wheezy base for a lean, mean, fighting web serving machine.
It features the following:
- Really fast boot time - less than 45 seconds, unlike 1min+ for the official build
- Official Linux Kernel (if memory serves me correctly, 3.2.x from the Raspbian build) with mini-turbo (800Mhz OverClock using CPUFreq ondemand governor - originally I wanted to use 1GhzNitroBoost(TM) but I thought that not all R-Pis are made equal and I didn't want to have burnt Pis' in my mailbox)
- Lighttpd Web Server - Apache was too performance crippling.
- PHP 5.4.x in Fast-CGI configuration for high performance
- MySQL Server 5.5.x with InnoDB disabled (since it's a memory consuming thing)
- Ruby, SQLite 3, Perl, Python 2.7 (minimal), Python 3 & 3.2 (minimal)
- PHP Extension Suite, with all the goodies (gd, imagemagick, mysql, mcrypt, etc)
- PureFTPd as FTP Server
- OpenSSH Server
- High performance Network I/O Tweaks
- Custom daemons for memory cleaning and network time sync since the R-Pi doesn't have a realtime clock.
- -- Fake-HWClock serves as a "fake" clock so the R-Pi doesn't go back to 1-1-1970 12:00AM
Initial testing has shown that the R-Pi is quite snappy and doesn't seem get flogged to much when running a few tests using this Lighttpd and PHP in FastCGI setup. Unlike traditional FastCGIs done with lighttpd, Raspberry Server uses a better approach that is more robust and speedy.
Of course, speed will vary on the SD card Read & Write speeds and class. All SD Cards that come pre-loaded with this distro will be class 6 or higher and will be available in the Coburn's Domain Store.
How do I get it?
Raspberry Server: Web Edition will be made available in 2 flavours, do it yourself - via a Disk Image that you write to your SD Card yourself (DIY) or pre-made ready-to-run SD Card - available for purchase from the Coburn's Domain Store. (Yes, I do ship internationally).
Questions, comments and observations are more than welcome!
The R-Pi platform is great, and I hope to make future versions of this distro plus more for various other uses.