ChadP

Re: RetroPie Setup - Auto-installer/updater for RetroArch ga

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:16 pm

Thanks for the emulation station its great. Im running my pi at over_voltage=6. arm_freq=1000. core_freq=500. sdram_freq=500. and the games are fast no lag. My problem is sound i cant get sound from any game. Im playing nes, super nes, and sega genesis roms they all play great.Im using the newest debian wheezy image. Any help on the sound problem would be much appreciated! In config text i uncommented the hdmi 2 still nothing. im using hdmi on my tv.

petrockblog

Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:04 pm

petrockblog wrote:
telarium wrote:Interesting that it didn't provide any errors that RetroArch didn't exist.
Hmm, it seems as if it is definitely time that I or someone else take time to implement error checking and other integrity checks for the setup script.
As a step towards an increased usability I have just committed an update for >>the script<< that implements the generation of a debug log. That log includes all relevant information about files and settings that are important for the RetroPie installation.

I hope that this will be useful in the future ...
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

ChadP

Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:29 pm

Fixed it amixer was muted turned it to about 50 percent sounds great. Im gonna build an arcade cabinet with the pi some speakers with an amp small 7 inch lcd some neon tubes i found on ebay and two nes advantage controllers. ill post some pics when im done.

rhart

Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:09 pm

In what config file can we change the keyboard mapping and the screen resolution? I have been looking around for the past few days and have not been able to find a place where this worked.

rhart

Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:23 pm

Is there a way to change the keyboard controls and the screen resolution?

Aloshi

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:17 pm

For EmulationStation or RetroArch?

Ed Raket

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:03 pm

Aloshi wrote:For EmulationStation or RetroArch?
When i start "emulationstation" it shows mame roms, but how can i change to snes or megadrive roms? (the roms are in the right folders...)

Pushed every key.... F4 quits :twisted:

Aloshi

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:20 pm

Left and right change the system, but if that's not working ES probably didn't detect any ROMs for the other systems (you can check this by typing "clear" in the console, then running ES, and reading the output - if a system can't find any games it'll error). This could happen for any number of reasons. Check that your ROMs match the file extension and path set with "nano ~/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg".

petrockblog

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:53 pm

Aloshi wrote:Left and right change the system, but if that's not working ES probably didn't detect any ROMs for the other systems (you can check this by typing "clear" in the console, then running ES, and reading the output - if a system can't find any games it'll error). This could happen for any number of reasons. Check that your ROMs match the file extension and path set with "nano ~/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg".
You could also use the "new" debug log function of the script in the menu "Setup"). Quite at the end of debug.log a check for unrecognized ROMs is done.

RaspDD

Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:44 am

Is there anybody who runs retroarch SNES on rpi SMOOTH and WITH UNDISTORTED Sound and WITH Joypad-input?

If YES please post your retroarch config.

Also, i tried to edit the config for the resultion of my display, but it doesnt have any effect. My target: FULLSCREEN (1280 x 800)
Last edited by RaspDD on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

SuperObComMan

Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:45 am

RaspDD wrote:
SuperObComMan wrote:DD,

.p.s DD you might want to start from scratch on a newly imaged sd card if you have one. The path you're currently following may just end up in frustration ;-)
I followed your hint and left the path of frustration and entered the path of enlightenment ;-) - i started from image again, and now the station starts without problems. But, without any sound, but iam sure i will solve this - TOMMOROW.
Glad to help... I've been down Frustration Road so many times in my life that I have enough Frequent Traveller's Points to go business class every time :)

@ petrockblog and aloshi, thanks for the wiki's guys. Very much appreciated :)

petrockblog

Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:03 am

SuperObComMan wrote:
@ petrockblog and aloshi, thanks for the wiki's guys. Very much appreciated :)
Thank you!

I have just started to have another closer look on getting some audio. To get an overview, it might be a good idea to get some feedback from users of RetroArch,EmulationStation, and the RetroPie setup about their current status regarding sound. I have added a section for that at https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... und-Issues

petrockblog

Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:38 am

rhart wrote:In what config file can we change the keyboard mapping and the screen resolution? I have been looking around for the past few days and have not been able to find a place where this worked.
For RetroArch the keyboard mapping can be changed in /etc/retroarch.cfg with

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/retroarch.cfg

rhart

Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:06 pm

petrockblog wrote:
rhart wrote:In what config file can we change the keyboard mapping and the screen resolution? I have been looking around for the past few days and have not been able to find a place where this worked.
For RetroArch the keyboard mapping can be changed in /etc/retroarch.cfg with

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/retroarch.cfg

Thanks. I could have sworn I checked that one before but I guess I didn't uncomment the lines. Thanks for pointing me towards it again. Also, where is the resolution changed at? I've tried editing /etc/retroarch.cfg but it has had no effect.

El_Presidente

Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:22 pm

Got through the RetroPie install and have emulationstation up nicely - so big thanks to all involved.

I have a lot of MAME ROMs and it takes ages to scroll down the list alphabetically, plus I only ever get the internal ROM name, many of which are hard to work out. Are there options to page down or jump to a start letter, or even to display more than around 8-10 roms per screen page?

Issue 1 - Ideally there would a link to a database to show the ROM friendly name.

Issue 2 - slow scroll speed. All I can do is roll slowly from the start or slowly back from the end. Trust me, a ROM starting with any letter H-S just takes 10 minutes to get to!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never trust a man, who when left alone with a tea cosey, doesn't try it on.

petrockblog

Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:59 pm

El_Presidente wrote:Got through the RetroPie install and have emulationstation up nicely - so big thanks to all involved.

I have a lot of MAME ROMs and it takes ages to scroll down the list alphabetically, plus I only ever get the internal ROM name, many of which are hard to work out. Are there options to page down or jump to a start letter, or even to display more than around 8-10 roms per screen page?

Issue 1 - Ideally there would a link to a database to show the ROM friendly name.

Issue 2 - slow scroll speed. All I can do is roll slowly from the start or slowly back from the end. Trust me, a ROM starting with any letter H-S just takes 10 minutes to get to!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You can use the "sort alphabetically" function in the setup menu of the script. This will move the roms into subdirectories "a" to "z". Then you can run the ES-scraper (also from within the setup menu) to download meta data for the roms.

Aloshi

Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Also, a "fast-select" menu is on the ES GitHub issues page, I'll try to get to it some time. At the moment I'm rewriting the renderer to not use SDL and hopefully be way faster - it renders at about 5FPS right now. With such a low framerate, faster scrolling makes it feel really uncontrollable as it'll overshoot and skip all over the place.

petrockblog

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:46 am

rhart wrote:Also, where is the resolution changed at? I've tried editing /etc/retroarch.cfg but it has had no effect.
Maybe >>this thread<< is of help for you. I do not have any experience with modifying the resolution on the RPi, though.

RaspDD

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:46 pm

Ok, iam back :).
Because of USB SOund issues i switched to RaspBMC RC 4.
I installed the station with the script, but it wont start:

1. the cfg-file is missing, i had to create it myself (recreate within setup didnt do anything)
2. now the station is loading, but
libopenVG.so is missing when i try to start a game.

I searched the net, but i think i found only packages for i586 etc.
How can i get this package on my rpi ?

petrockblog

Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:14 pm

RaspDD wrote:Ok, iam back :).
Because of USB SOund issues i switched to RaspBMC RC 4.
I installed the station with the script, but it wont start:
I have no experience with RaspBMC, sorry! Maybe someone else could help here!?
Maybe there is a specific thread about the RaspBMC?

MCBTay

Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:09 am

I'm exactly where you are RaspDD, if you happen to find anything, let me know. i'll be scrounging around myself

MCBTay

Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:09 am

RaspDD I was exactly where you were with the openVG.so file. Simply running rpi-update fixed it for me. Not sure if it will help you, but maybe :)

SuperObComMan

Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:41 pm

MCBTay wrote:RaspDD I was exactly where you were with the openVG.so file. Simply running rpi-update fixed it for me. Not sure if it will help you, but maybe :)
This sounds promising... the whole reason I was learning about the emulators was to eventually try it with RaspBMC!

After reading through the elinux troubleshooting page a few more times, I convinced myself to uncomment the HDMI lines for forcing sound on a HDMI monitor and HDMI boost, so I have no "sparklies' on the screen and Defender makes a nice boot up noise but still no "INSERT COIN" love... I tried the right SHIFT key but still get no response to the keys on the wireless keyboard (Logitech K260) other than the Escape key. I have no problems with the keys to get to that point in MAME, just at that point. I suppose I should try a different ROM.... :)

SMK I seem to have gotten a handle on the keys at last but no HDMI sound is a bugger, however I have yet to check amixer in the command-line as referred to by a member in an earlier post.

I would have expected that there was a line in the config.txt file written by someone with more knowledge than myself to ensure that amixer was set to some arbritrary volume level (and from there, of course more easliy tweakable than messing about in the CLI :) )

ajberry

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:10 pm

So I ran sudo apt-get update and my sound seems to work fine for snes games :D

I am still having issues with mame running slow in games and terrible sound. Has anyone got advance mame working with sound yet? Once I have that a working I can then work on my cabinet...

petrockblog

Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:22 pm

ajberry wrote:So I ran sudo apt-get update and my sound seems to work fine for snes games :D

I am still having issues with mame running slow in games and terrible sound. Has anyone got advance mame working with sound yet? Once I have that a working I can then work on my cabinet...
Did you follow a certain guide for installing AdvanceMAME? Do you think that it should be included into the RetroPie script? I did not have a closer look at it yet ...

Return to “Gaming”