Total beginner

Smart Pi Touch 2

Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:18 pm

Hi

Just got my first raspberry pi 4 working with the keyboard, mouse, and 7in touch screen display.

The guy in the shop also sold me the smart pi touch 2 case, which looks great. Just trying to install the screen though, and the spacers on the pCB of the adapter board seem to be too big and the screen won’t go on properly.

Looking at the instructions, it doesn’t look as if the spacers used to be fitted, but now they seem unremovable.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Sorry, probably really simple and probably the wrong place, but only just got it working!

Thanks
Richard, a total newbie!

PhatFil

Re: Smart Pi Touch 2

Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:35 pm

Hi Richard, does the packaging/instructions state explicitly that its suitable for a Pi4?

This is I suspect a problem of buying the latest model before the peripherals market has caught up.

I could be wrong but i suspect its built pre pi4 and isnt suitable without taking a drastic possibly destructive approach. The Pi4 has a slightly different geometary to earlier models and a different top profile.

this ad google fed me seems to support my guess.
https://coolcomponents.co.uk/products/s ... 2aEALw_wcB
The display is secured into the case with four screws. A Raspberry 3, 3B+, 2, or A+ is then enclosed in the compartment on the back of the case.
You should be able to get a refund from the shop? and it shouldnt be too long before the market catches up with the new Pi

Or you could spend a bit of time measuring to confirm its not too destructive and attack the box with a hot knife or mini tool ...

edit - I dont mean to sound flippant, and if your having difficulty backstepping the physical install? post pics of the issue to enlist advice, lots of very handy folk in here..

Total beginner

Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:46 pm

Hi

Thanks for your response.

Sorry, I didn’t make myself clear. It’s the adapter board for the touchscreen that is fitted to the touchscreen that has the spacers on. Have to confess, haven’t got to attempting to fit the RPI!

It was recommended by the guy in the raspberry store where I brought the touchscreen, so would have expected it to fit. But think I’m going to have to do some work like you say.

I’ve hopefully attached a image which shows the adapter board as expected, without the spacers. But the board comes fitted with unremoveable ones. <edit-> just added a picture of the actual one with the spacers.

Think the best thing is to cut the box to accommodate the spacers and board but wanted to check I wasn’t missing anything silly!

Thanks
Richard
Attachments
E81ABFE2-5193-4FC8-A1A6-FE8839AB5B36.jpeg
E81ABFE2-5193-4FC8-A1A6-FE8839AB5B36.jpeg (31.64 KiB) Viewed 527 times
75DF664F-038A-4650-9C30-D86700CA1EEE.jpeg
75DF664F-038A-4650-9C30-D86700CA1EEE.jpeg (172.25 KiB) Viewed 532 times

alphanumeric

Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:05 pm

You only need the standoffs if your doing the original stock install where the Pi is mounted to the back of the display right on top of the display driver card. Just attach the driver board with the screws that would normally be used to attach the Pi to the stand offs. And put the stand offs away for future use.

PhatFil

Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:42 pm

I appreciate your caution but those brass stand offs are generally screwed in to fix, the 2nd pic posted without stand offs shows what looks like a bent steel mount point with a screw in place of the brass stand off in the bottom left position. similar to those surrounding the central pcb. Are they threaded??

take a side on peek and look for a retaining nut or the stub of the screw thread poking through the threaded steel mount point.

with brass threads sized m2-3 and a slightly over zealous crank of the last turn or badly tuned automatic fitting could deform and seize the thread requiering more torque than you would normally fell comfortable applying to remove?

PhatFil

Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:45 pm

or perhaps they have had some thread lock applied??

alphanumeric

Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:28 pm

There are 8 U shaped mounting points on the back of the display. They are all threaded. The 4 inner ones are for mounting the display driver board. With the normal stock install the driver board is held in place with the 4 standoffs with the threaded studs on one end. The studs go into the display mounting points. You then mount the Pi on the top of the studs with screws. The other 4 mounting points are to be used to mount / attach the display to what ever base / holder your using. I own one of the original screens.
With the Smart Pi Touch 2 the Pi doesn't mount in the normal position. It mounts over to one side of the display. So, in this case you skip using the stand offs and just use the screws that would have held the Pi to the stand offs, to hold the display board in its normal position. Then use the longer ribbon cables included in the kit to connect the display board to the Pi's DSI connector. If you do that the display will fit in the case and mount using those other 4 mounting tabs. I don't own a Smart Pi touch 2, but have plans to but one this Christmas.

Total beginner

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:24 pm

Thanks all. Particularly this describes the issue. As I've got the Touch 2, I need to see if I can force those stand offs from the board, as otherwise the screen doesn't fit flush in the case.

I'll need to go in search for the tool kit which I'll do tomorrow. Have to say, they look fairly fixe, possibly just thread lock or something similar, put will try to be less gentle and see how I get on. Otherwise, cutting/melting a piece of the Smart Pi Touch 2 should work well, but it just seems such a bad design!
alphanumeric wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:28 pm
There are 8 U shaped mounting points on the back of the display. They are all threaded. The 4 inner ones are for mounting the display driver board. With the normal stock install the driver board is held in place with the 4 standoffs with the threaded studs on one end. The studs go into the display mounting points. You then mount the Pi on the top of the studs with screws. The other 4 mounting points are to be used to mount / attach the display to what ever base / holder your using. I own one of the original screens.
With the Smart Pi Touch 2 the Pi doesn't mount in the normal position. It mounts over to one side of the display. So, in this case you skip using the stand offs and just use the screws that would have held the Pi to the stand offs, to hold the display board in its normal position. Then use the longer ribbon cables included in the kit to connect the display board to the Pi's DSI connector. If you do that the display will fit in the case and mount using those other 4 mounting tabs. I don't own a Smart Pi touch 2, but have plans to but one this Christmas.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:31 pm

The stand-offs should unscrew quite easily. The Smart Pi Touch 2 comes with replacement screws to hold the board in place.

I had this problem as well, but when I realised you're meant to replace them, it all went quite smoothly.

Total beginner

Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:22 am

Hey all, just wanted to say a huge thank you. With a little bit of force, the stand offs came off easily and it all fits together nicely.

I was just being too gentle as I slowly make my way around things!

Big thanks and have a wonderful Sunday 👍

Richard

alphanumeric

Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:29 am

Good to hear. Nobody wants to break thier new toy so I can understand your apprehension. Its been a while, but I'm pretty sure my display came completely disassembled. I had to attach the cables and mount the driver board to the back of the display. I bought mine early on shortly after they were released. I'll be buying another one with my Smart Pi Touch 2 case. Won't happen until Christmas though.

Total beginner

Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:33 am

Yes, it looks from the instructions that it previously came disassembled. I think that’s what confused me!

Oh well, all working and have managed a hello word program and flashing LED.

Just to get ready for pi wars next year! Hope Santa brings you the display case!

Thanks again
Richard

Return to “Troubleshooting”