pi_whodie

Bluetooth not working with 256GB SD card - works fine with 64GB SD card

Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:46 pm

Hoping someone can sort this out for me. Decided to repurpose one my PI 4's; in doing so I installed Raspbian on a new 256GB SD card (Samsung EVO Plus) using Etcher. Previously this PI had a 32GB SD card (Samsung EVO Plus) and ran flawlessly but for the new application will need more storage. Two issues have occurred; upon initial startup of the clean install the Bluetooth icon is missing on the task bar and there is no check box to add the applet in preferences. Second the system is EXTREMELY slow, going through the prompts of the initial Raspberry PI configuration takes minutes. Even typing in the new default password or wifi password shows a long delay between key press and character appearing on the screen.

As a double check I installed a fresh install of Raspbian on a 64GB SD (Samsung EVO Select) card to verify if these issues were present; neither was. Bluetooth icon appears as normal and performance is restored.

What am I missing? I've tried formatting the 256GB SD card multiple times and reflashing the image with no improvement. Any ideas on what may be causing these issues with the larger SD card?

B.Goode

Re: Bluetooth not working with 256GB SD card - works fine with 64GB SD card

Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:16 pm

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums

pi_whodie wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:46 pm
Hoping someone can sort this out for me. Decided to repurpose one my PI 4's; in doing so I installed Raspbian on a new 256GB SD card (Samsung EVO Plus) using Etcher. Previously this PI had a 32GB SD card (Samsung EVO Plus) and ran flawlessly but for the new application will need more storage. Two issues have occurred; upon initial startup of the clean install the Bluetooth icon is missing on the task bar and there is no check box to add the applet in preferences. Second the system is EXTREMELY slow, going through the prompts of the initial Raspberry PI configuration takes minutes. Even typing in the new default password or wifi password shows a long delay between key press and character appearing on the screen.

As a double check I installed a fresh install of Raspbian on a 64GB SD (Samsung EVO Select) card to verify if these issues were present; neither was. Bluetooth icon appears as normal and performance is restored.

What am I missing? I've tried formatting the 256GB SD card multiple times and reflashing the image with no improvement. Any ideas on what may be causing these issues with the larger SD card?

"Any ideas on what may be causing these issues with the larger SD card?"

Maybe that card is counterfeit, fake, or otherwise faulty?

Sadly you would not be the first person in these forums to find that to be the case.

The brand name of itself does not seem to provide immunity from this possible criminal deception, and even reputable vendors can find that their distribution channels have supplied these goods.

pi_whodie

Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:28 pm

If it was just slow performance, I could consider that being the cause but it doesn't explain the missing bluetooth

Andyroo

Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:22 pm

Unless the Bluetooth driver sits on an iffy spot?

Did you check the write? I use Etcher and it’s verify option.

B.Goode

Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:48 pm

pi_whodie wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:28 pm
If it was just slow performance, I could consider that being the cause but it doesn't explain the missing bluetooth

When you determine the true cause I hope you will document it here so that volunteer helpers like myself can include it in the advice we offer.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:42 pm

Partly OOC, can you post the output of:

Code: Select all

cat /sys/block/mmcblk0/device/cid
for both cards. I can then decode the cid's** and that checked (by you) for consistency with what might be expected (eg. the manufacturing date)
Trev.
** FWIW a bit more info. here: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_p ... ed_Raw_CID
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

renice123

Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:18 am

You talk about the classic problem of a fake card. Communication failure, like other problems, may be due to the fact that the file system is working with errors (in Linux, any device and even a process can be represented as files). Given the low speed (slow write to the card), then most likely you are using a fake card. Check the map programmatically, see if the permissions on the directories and files are set correctly, whether symbolic links exist. But most likely you will have to buy a new card.
https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to ... emory-Car/

Return to “Troubleshooting”