User avatar
mihailolja
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:29 pm
Location: Carpathians

No signal to Pi 3+ with TV aerial splitter but ok with aerial cable direct?

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:58 pm

Hello,

I'm having all sorts of problems with my Pi 3+ and tv headend device.

My main issue is when I connect the tv aerial directly to the Pi all seems okish (the same cable goes to my Samsung freeview tv and its perfectly fine there).

However when I put the cable into a splitter so that the signal goes to my tv and to my Pi I either get no services on the Pi or no muxes. Is the splitter at fault or do I need something else so that I can continue to use my Samsung tv and play with my Pi?

Any help appreciated.

Mihailo
Attachments
20190914_112546a.jpg
20190914_112546a.jpg (106.6 KiB) Viewed 1000 times

drgeoff
Posts: 9898
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: No signal to Pi 3+ with TV aerial splitter but ok with aerial cable direct?

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:07 pm

Can we have a close-up picture of the splitter that shows what is written on the label?

pcmanbob
Posts: 7099
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: No signal to Pi 3+ with TV aerial splitter but ok with aerial cable direct?

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:15 pm

Are you sure you have a splitter connected correctly, they are often market showing which port is input ( aerial ) , incorrectly connecting them may lead to the signal not being passed through.

Looking at your image I can't see the markings but comparing it with this image

Image

I would say you have it connected wrong, assuming the black wire is the aerial cable
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 10491
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK

Re: No signal to Pi 3+ with TV aerial splitter but ok with aerial cable direct?

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:19 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:15 pm
Are you sure you have a splitter connected correctly, they are often market showing which port is input ( aerial ) , incorrectly connecting them may lead to the signal not being passed through.

Looking at your image I can't see the markings but comparing it with this image

Image

I would say you have it connected wrong, assuming the black wire is the aerial cable
^THIS
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

User avatar
mihailolja
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:29 pm
Location: Carpathians

Re: No signal to Pi 3+ with TV aerial splitter but ok with aerial cable direct?

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:34 pm

Not much on it really but here it is...
splitter.jpg
splitter.jpg (92.85 KiB) Viewed 965 times

pcmanbob
Posts: 7099
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: No signal to Pi 3+ with TV aerial splitter but ok with aerial cable direct?

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:38 pm

As I said aerial needs connecting to the one marked IN.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

User avatar
mihailolja
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:29 pm
Location: Carpathians

Re: No signal to Pi 3+ with TV aerial splitter but ok with aerial cable direct?

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:48 pm

Surely the IN connector goes to the TV? Leaving one of the other connectors for the incoming aerial cable and the other for the Pi?

Or have I lost the plot here!?

Thanks for your patience.

Mihailo

trejan
Posts: 739
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:28 pm

Re: No signal to Pi 3+ with TV aerial splitter but ok with aerial cable direct?

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:49 pm

mihailolja wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:48 pm
Surely the IN connector goes to the TV? Leaving one of the other connectors for the incoming aerial cable and the other for the Pi?
Signal from the antenna goes to IN and then splits into the two OUTs for the TV and Pi...

pcmanbob
Posts: 7099
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: No signal to Pi 3+ with TV aerial splitter but ok with aerial cable direct?

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:52 pm

trejan wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:49 pm
mihailolja wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:48 pm
Surely the IN connector goes to the TV? Leaving one of the other connectors for the incoming aerial cable and the other for the Pi?
Signal from the antenna goes to IN and then splits into the two OUTs for the TV and Pi...
^ What he said........

IN to splitter out to TV, hence aerial to IN TV's to OUT....................................
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

User avatar
mihailolja
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:29 pm
Location: Carpathians

Re: No signal to Pi 3+ with TV aerial splitter but ok with aerial cable direct?

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:54 pm

Great, thanks so much.

That's brilliant.

Mihailo

drgeoff
Posts: 9898
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: No signal to Pi 3+ with TV aerial splitter but ok with aerial cable direct?

Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:44 pm

With the 3 resistor type splitters all 3 ports are exactly the same. The lower loss type using RF transformer do have a specific input port.

User avatar
mihailolja
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:29 pm
Location: Carpathians

Re: No signal to Pi 3+ with TV aerial splitter but ok with aerial cable direct?

Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:23 am

Just for the record I have had to buy a cheap female to female coupler to get my aerial cable to connect to the splitter.

Thanks for the help again!

Return to “Media centres”