Bope

Getting strange update

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:23 pm

I have a raspberry Pi ZeroW running Stretch. I am currently doing an update preparing to install smpt library to send emails. When I ran the apt-get upgrade it is installing a bunch of stuff labeled diversion of /boot/over;ays/.... by rpikernelhack. Then is was installing boot kernel stuff then said it was removing the rpikernelhack stuff. It is doing a number of things I have never seen before during an upgrade. This RPi is only about a month old so it is not like there should be so much to update. My son's 3B+ usually says there is nothing to upgrade. Did I pick up something nasty?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Getting strange update

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:36 pm

Bope wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:23 pm
I have a raspberry Pi ZeroW running Stretch. I am currently doing an update preparing to install smpt library to send emails. When I ran the apt-get upgrade it is installing a bunch of stuff labeled diversion of /boot/over;ays/.... by rpikernelhack. Then is was installing boot kernel stuff then said it was removing the rpikernelhack stuff. It is doing a number of things I have never seen before during an upgrade. This RPi is only about a month old so it is not like there should be so much to update. My son's 3B+ usually says there is nothing to upgrade. Did I pick up something nasty?

That is normal for a Kernel Update.

The usual procedure to bring Raspbian Stretch or Buster up to date:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo reboot

Though be aware that Stretch is now end of life, so when up to date unlikely to receive any future updates unless a Security Issue:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/buster ... -raspbian/
Retired disgracefully.....

Bope

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:49 pm

I used

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
With stretch being end of life I wasn't expecting any updates and then when I saw a bunch of stuff I was a little concerned.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:01 pm

Bope wrote:
I used

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
With stretch being end of life I wasn't expecting any updates and then when I saw a bunch of stuff I was a little concerned.

https://linux.die.net/man/8/apt-get

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xen ... apt.8.html
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired disgracefully.....

DirkS

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:12 pm

Bope wrote:
I used

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
It will still get security updates for quite a while.

Return to “Beginners”