MichaelYoussif
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:35 pm

Electronic Sleep inducer

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:04 pm

Hi all,

My name is Michael Youssif and I am performing my final year graduation project in the Biomedical Engineering Technology program. My project is a sleep inducer circuit that will be connected to an EEG that will be done by one of my friends. My sleep inducer circuit is at the following link: http://electronics-free-projects.blogsp ... ducer.html but the problem is that I need to use the raspberry pi instead of the NAND gates and the timer and ripple counter IC by taking the push button P1 as an input to the r-pi and the output will be the radiator coil L that should produce magnetic field to help the patient to sleep. So, does anyone know how to connect the r-pi to the circuit and what type of software to be used? Also, how to write this software on the r-pi?
Also, please inform me if the r-pi can be used as the connection between the sleep inducer circuit and the EEG.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Regards,
Michael

User avatar
gordon@drogon.net
Posts: 2020
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:14 pm
Location: Devon, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Electronic Sleep inducer

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:33 pm

MichaelYoussif wrote:Hi all,

My name is Michael Youssif and I am performing my final year graduation project in the Biomedical Engineering Technology program. My project is a sleep inducer circuit that will be connected to an EEG that will be done by one of my friends. My sleep inducer circuit is at the following link: http://electronics-free-projects.blogsp ... ducer.html but the problem is that I need to use the raspberry pi instead of the NAND gates and the timer and ripple counter IC by taking the push button P1 as an input to the r-pi and the output will be the radiator coil L that should produce magnetic field to help the patient to sleep. So, does anyone know how to connect the r-pi to the circuit and what type of software to be used? Also, how to write this software on the r-pi?
Also, please inform me if the r-pi can be used as the connection between the sleep inducer circuit and the EEG.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Regards,
Michael
Actually fairly simple to connect the transistor Q1, diode and coil to the Pi. Connecting a button is just as easy too. The program should only be a few lines, so nothing special. Getting that 60uS pulse accurate is more of a challenge - there will be some jitter but I'm not sure it's that critical, is it? It's just a very short pulse through the coil...

No idea about the EEG - probably - but it all depends what you need to send to the EEG.

But won't it be easier & nicer to put this in a little box to go under the pillow rather than a relatively big Pi that would need connecting to mains power to keep it going all night?

-Gordon
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23636
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Electronic Sleep inducer

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:36 pm

I was going to suggest the X-Factor...maybe not what the OP was referring to though.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

User avatar
gordon@drogon.net
Posts: 2020
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:14 pm
Location: Devon, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Electronic Sleep inducer

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:23 pm

jamesh wrote:I was going to suggest the X-Factor...maybe not what the OP was referring to though.
Midsomernight murders?

-Gordon
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

User avatar
redhawk
Posts: 3465
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:13 pm
Location: ::1

Re: Electronic Sleep inducer

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:51 pm

Beer and boring TV usually works for me like a Woody Allan film, Celebrity Big Brother or Newlyweds. :)

On a serious note does such a device really work??
Many people experience sleeping well in natural surroundings, into a tent or a wooden hut.
To be honest I think people sleep better outdoors because of the fresh air and cool temperatures not because of the lack of magnetic stimulation.
I never sleep well in warm stuffy conditions which is why I find leaving my bedroom window open in the summer a real help.
There are other factors too that can disturb sleep i.e. sleeping next to mobile phones (electromagnetic interference from base station polling). After sleeping for years with my phone nearby I can't say I've really noticed any problem I guess some people sleep better than others.

Richard S.

User avatar
Burngate
Posts: 6003
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm
Location: Berkshire UK Tralfamadore
Contact: Website

Re: Electronic Sleep inducer

Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:49 pm

Aside from timing issues - there seems to be four: 60ns for the pulse, 1.2Hz (0.83s), 5Hz (0.2s) and 15/30/60mins, and Linux could find the first difficult - the interface to the coil should be straightforward, and switch inputs likewise.
However there doesn't appear to be any details about the coil!

My other thought is
our unconscious ability to perceive natural Earth’s magnetic fields. Our mini project generates this type of Geo-magnetic-fields
How is 60ns pulses at 1.2Hz / 5Hz natural?

Alaa Hilmi
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:16 pm

Re: Electronic Sleep inducer

Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:22 pm

am making a sleep inducer as well for my final year project so I was wonder if you can help me out with some stuff on my circuit.

aishugundmi
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:40 am

Re: Electronic Sleep inducer

Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:43 am

hi
Iam doing sleep inducer project
Can u please help me

LTolledo
Posts: 1942
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:29 am
Location: Anime Heartland

Re: Electronic Sleep inducer

Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:10 pm

electronically actuated hammer....

and stop waking up dead topics..... or they'll haunt you forever!
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 8504
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Electronic Sleep inducer

Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:28 pm

aishugundmi wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:43 am
hi
Iam doing sleep inducer project
Can u please help me


Neither of the 2 previous posters asking for help have revisited the forums. Perhaps they fell asleep waiting for a reply? Works well doesn't it?

Heater
Posts: 13283
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Electronic Sleep inducer

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:30 pm

As if such a ridiculous gadget would work anyway.

If you want to get to sleep with electronics I recommend Horowitz and Hill: The Art of Electronics
https://artofelectronics.net/

hippy
Posts: 5942
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: Electronic Sleep inducer

Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:00 pm

Heater wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:30 pm
As if such a ridiculous gadget would work anyway.
If inducing 60us pulses every 200ms helps those kept awake worrying that "Wi-Fi gives us cancer"; it can only be a good thing :P :P :P

Return to “Other projects”