oksage

SOLVED. Booting to console with red background. Display drops out.

Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:34 pm

I've got a pi 3 and recently when booting to console, the background color is red. This has happened a couple time in the past few years and I've replaced the power supply to fix the issue. Is this just due to power supplies failing over time?

I use this pi headless as a samba/sabnzbd server, so I usually don't need the hdmi but I keep it connected for the odd time when I want to log in at the console instead of ssh'ing in from another computer. With the display showing the red background console, the connection will sometimes drop out, the display turns black and then comes back on. It's not rebooting, just the display connection drops out. Most of the time though it's just showing the red-background console. I'm not seeing the lightning bolt icon in the top right corner.

I've tried searching for information about this but am not having any luck.

Can anyone tell me why these power supplies need replacing? Just poor quality? They work okay for months and then this issue pops up.

Thanks,
Paul
Last edited by oksage on Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ernst

Re: Booting to console with red background. Display drops out.

Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:55 pm

I would replace the HDMI cable.
The road to insanity is paved with static ip addresses

oksage

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:01 pm

Ernst wrote:
Do you think the hdmi is causing problems with the power supply? If not, why would replacing the power supply fix the problem?

oksage

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:15 pm

Ernst wrote:
Thanks Ernst. I replaced the hdmi. That worked. No more red background or dropouts. (For now?).

Return to “Troubleshooting”