lorddc89

Pi4 solid red and green led

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:14 pm

I have recently gotten a Pi4 4gb. I managed to have it boot once with buster lite. Today I have turned it on and all I am getting is a solid red and green light. I have tried the suggestions in the sticky. With no devices plugged in and no sd card I get the same. I have tried the recovery. Bin process and nothing also happens.

timg236
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Pi4 solid red and green led

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:40 pm

Do you get any output on the display ?

If you have a UART then that might help
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... on/uart.md

lorddc89

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:44 pm

I don't have a uart. I don't get anything on the display. I had it booted twice, spotted I said once. First time I had libreelec running, before buster lite.
Not sure if it makes a difference but the USB c cable and adapter I'm using is my phone charger. (p20 Pro). I've not tried another USB c cable but have tried another adapter with the same results

lorddc89

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:00 pm

I've tried another USB c cable and adapter to the same issue. I should point out the green led is dimmer than the red led.

FloFra

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:30 am

Hi there,

I'm facing exactly the same problem with the 4GB model
I think it booted once or twice (running headless) but then just stopped doing anything upon power on

I have not connected anything via the GPIOs, nor mounted the headsinks yet
The only thing ever connected was the power plug (official raspberry power source)

Upon powering up, the red and green leds came on immediately and stay on (the green LED seems dimmed, so I'm not sure if it
's not just blinking VERY fast)

I tried several SD Cards with Noobs/Buster (via Etcher) and the recovery bins - nothing changed the behaviour
Also without any SD Card the green led just goes into a "dimmed" on state after power on

As the docs suggest that it should blink 4 times, I suspect the EPROM to be corrupt or the startup process doesn't even come to a point where the "bios" is ran....

As it booted before and suddenly stopped I have no idea what could be the problem here (the PI has been in the case before the first start) and stayed there until the kproblem started [i removed it to see if there is something visible on the PCB)

The only thing changed from when it was booting and when it stopped is that I've taken the SD card out, changed the wpa_supplicant (had a wrong SSID) and put it back in...

Does anyone else face this problem or maybe has fixed it?

Thanks
Kind Regards
Florian

lorddc89

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:47 pm

I have had to send mine back. The suppliers response to the RMA made it sound like there are many rpi4 4gb with this issue.

FloFra

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:44 pm

Thanks for the reply
I'm going to test the remaining 3 this evening - let's hope for the best ;)

Kind Regards
Florian

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:03 pm

be sure to have read the boot problem sticky in trouble-shooting? https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 28&t=58151.
and note that non working boot code in the RPI4's EEPROM can be re-flashed if it doesn't work as expected, although I have not heard the failure rate of it is especially high, and RPI's are still factory tested!

FloFra

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:06 pm

Hi,

done that and tried everything mentioned in there
The main issue is the constant "on" green led which shouldn't happen if the bootloader works correctly
However I can't even use the recovery files as nothing happens at all

My guess is that somehow the startup process doesn't even come to the point where the bootloader is invoked

Kind Regards
Florian

lorddc89

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:27 pm

Nothing in the pi not booting thread helped. My supplier is shipping me a replacement when they get stock later this minth

FloFra

Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:29 am

Hi,

just wanted to let you guys know that I've tried 2 other Pi4s
They work without an issue (also with the SD Cards used in the "defective" PI)

Let's hope my distributor will exchange the bad one :)

Kind Regards
Florian

FloFra

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:48 pm

Hi,

a quick update:
I've activated 2 other Pi's
One works now since 2 Weeks without problems, BUT the other one died with the same symtoms 2 days ago...
I've replaced it with the last Pi I ordered and up to now it works

That a failure rate of 50%... not that impressive ;)

Are there any statistics on RMAs available?
Maybe I just got mine from a bad batch or sth like this.....

Kind Regards
Florian

hippy

Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:10 pm

FloFra wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:48 pm
Are there any statistics on RMAs available?
I doubt there are any publicly available. The best one can really do is monitor the forum for reports of issues.

And in that respect I have noted 8 reports of "Green light of death" failures.

I believe it has been reported a million Pi 4B have been sold. So that makes the number of boards reported as exhibiting such a state quite small, less than one in every 125,000.

bucker

Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:55 pm

Mine has the exact same issue, always on red and green led, no matter if it's with or without SD card. Tried all EPROM reflashing solutions but it's not working, looks like i'll have to return as well.
Winning is for losers.

Pi Zero W (inside a Pikachu case ;) ) with DietPi running Sonarr,Couchpotato,Pi-hole,Pi-VPN
Pi B running Home Assistant
Pi 2B & HiFiBerry DAC+ running Volumio OS
Pi 3B (inside a genesis case 8-) ) running RetroPie
--

FloFra

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:02 pm

Hello all,

Now the next Pi4 died after 1 month (only HDMI and Network connected - original PSU)

This one is even from another supplier...

I really do not understand what could cause the issue

Does anyone know if the Pi4 outputs information on UART while booting...

So far i have 6 Pi4 4GB with 3 of them dead:/ one is not in use at the moment

Maybe someone has an idea what else i can Check...

Thanks

krisz33

Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:10 am

Hello,
I have now the second Rpi4 which suffers from this issue. The first died after a month and the supplier replaced it after some discussion and it took a month. I received the new one and exactly the same happened. 3-4 weeks (rare usage) and the same symptoms. I asked the supplier to report it but until now no answer (about 2 weeks passed).
It seems to me that it 's a general problem and reading these posts no answers from the manufacturer.
My older RPi3 is still running after 3 years of usage that's why I trusted the brand and purchased the new one. Was it a mistake?
Here is my config if somebody points out any similarities:
Power supply is an original Raspberry Pi PSU (5.1V 3.0A) (Slave socket of the surge protector, so it turns on only when the TV is switched on)
Micro SDHC card: Samsung EVO 32GB UHS-I U1
MicroHDMI cable is connected to My TVs ARC-HDMI port
Gigabit Ethernet port is plugged to use the network
Only one USB socket is in use: a dongle for Rii Mini i8+ mini keyboard
I went through all the workarounds found on the interrnet, but no success. I don't really know how long to wait for the answers but I'm afraid that confidence in RPis reliability was shaken from my side.
I'm really looking forward for any answers.
BR

Return to “Troubleshooting”