kasek
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:17 am

raspberry pi 4 and wine or x86 emulator

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:03 pm

Hey i need to be able to run IE to access a website that is IE only and to be able to install svg viewer 3.0 exe from that site.

Ive been reading a couple pages but want to see whats the best way.

i saw this way: https://gist.github.com/MIvanchev/14de5 ... 0cf1c0b01e

also this way : https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-to-i ... linux.html

and i also saw running exagear desktop as an emulator and install wine.

best way? best guide? dont have much experience with the pi yet

I have pi 4 4gb running NOOBS so not sure what raspbian that is but i did the updates so i think newest.

Andyroo

Re: raspberry pi 4 and wine or x86 emulator

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:13 pm

Wine will not run on ARM machines - it’s x86 code only.

Eltechs / Exagear is no longer in business and their software required a license code to run old site (possibly dead)

Any x86 emulator would be so slow for Explorer that it would be horrible to use.

kasek
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:17 am

Re: raspberry pi 4 and wine or x86 emulator

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:25 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:13 pm
Wine will not run on ARM machines - it’s x86 code only.

Eltechs / Exagear is no longer in business and their software required a license code to run old site (possibly dead)

Any x86 emulator would be so slow for Explorer that it would be horrible to use.
ok so the other 2 links i posted arent options either?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20941
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: raspberry pi 4 and wine or x86 emulator

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:32 pm

kasek wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:03 pm
Hey i need to be able to run IE to access a website that is IE only and to be able to install svg viewer 3.0 exe from that site.

Ive been reading a couple pages but want to see whats the best way.

i saw this way: https://gist.github.com/MIvanchev/14de5 ... 0cf1c0b01e

also this way : https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-to-i ... linux.html

and i also saw running exagear desktop as an emulator and install wine.

best way? best guide? dont have much experience with the pi yet

I have pi 4 4gb running NOOBS so not sure what raspbian that is but i did the updates so i think newest.

Only Raspbian Buster runs on the Raspberry Pi 4B.


Maybe Pi386 would be of interest ?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 1&t=226376


Presumably this is related to your other post:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 0#p1529430
Retired disgracefully.....

kasek
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:17 am

Re: raspberry pi 4 and wine or x86 emulator

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:38 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:32 pm
kasek wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:03 pm
Hey i need to be able to run IE to access a website that is IE only and to be able to install svg viewer 3.0 exe from that site.

Ive been reading a couple pages but want to see whats the best way.

i saw this way: https://gist.github.com/MIvanchev/14de5 ... 0cf1c0b01e

also this way : https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-to-i ... linux.html

and i also saw running exagear desktop as an emulator and install wine.

best way? best guide? dont have much experience with the pi yet

I have pi 4 4gb running NOOBS so not sure what raspbian that is but i did the updates so i think newest.

Only Raspbian Buster runs on the Raspberry Pi 4B.

Presumably this is related to your other post:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 0#p1529430
yes unfortunately the add on didnt work. It still tells me I need to install svg viewer but it also says that they can only be rendered on IE even though I have chrome set to IE 10. So i was trying to find ways to allow windows applications to work and came across installing IEs4Linux and the other link to install windows software with wine on arm devices

pi386 sounds like this that i had linked https://gist.github.com/MIvanchev/14de5 ... 0cf1c0b01e
that might be an option ill look into it thanks

Andyroo

Re: raspberry pi 4 and wine or x86 emulator

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:43 pm

The first requires you to build the kernel etc from scratch and even then
Any Windows program you want to use on the Raspberry Pi will have to be compiled for ARM
I’ve never seen an I.E. compiled for Arm BUT I’m more a Mac user.

The second dates from 2006 and the software host site reports
A database query error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software.
The latest file date at http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/downloads/ is 2008 and only gives you IE 6 from Windows XP...

Your choice - personally I would not touch either.

Wine is not an emulator (that being literally what it stands for) it translates system calls / api functions from Windows to native Linux functions. It does not convert x86 instructions to ARM.

There was an attempt to get Windows running on the Pi but this needed a Windows Insider version, some bits did not work and any request for help on this version may well get threads locked here due to the questionable legality of this even for Microsoft Insiders.

Edited: Added correct error message for the site not the URL.

Andyroo

Re: raspberry pi 4 and wine or x86 emulator

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:47 pm

Forgot - you may want to check the ULA for Explorer and what operating systems you legally can run it on.

kasek
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:17 am

Re: raspberry pi 4 and wine or x86 emulator

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:48 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:43 pm
The first requires you to build the kernel etc from scratch and even then
Any Windows program you want to use on the Raspberry Pi will have to be compiled for ARM
I’ve never seen an I.E. compiled for Arm BUT I’m more a Mac user.

The second dates from 2006 and the software host site reports
A database query error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software.
The latest file date at http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/downloads/ is 2008 and only gives you IE 6 from Windows XP...

Your choice - personally I would not touch either.

Wine is not an emulator (that being literally what it stands for) it translates system calls / api functions from Windows to native Linux functions. It does not convert x86 instructions to ARM.

There was an attempt to get Windows running on the Pi but this needed a Windows Insider version, some bits did not work and any request for help on this version may well get threads locked here due to the questionable legality of this even for Microsoft Insiders.

Edited: Added correct error message for the site not the URL.
i did see wine wasn the actual emulator itself, it was needed to run the apps. I guess i may have t just skip this one, because im wondering even if it got me IE 6 and that worked i woudl still need to install the svg viewer 3.0 and if it wont let me install that im still back to square one.

Fraoch
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:53 pm
Location: Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

Re: raspberry pi 4 and wine or x86 emulator

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:53 pm

Let's try a different approach.

It looks like your end goal is to be able to run "SVG viewer 3.0.exe"...right?

Running this through WINE or some other emulator isn't the right way to go about it, even if the Pi could run it. If you could get it working, the performance is often very poor, even on high spec "big" computers other than the Pi. Some programs run fine, many just don't.

So - what is it that this SVG viewer does? Why do you need it? To view SVG files?

Raspbian's native image viewer can view them. GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) can view and edit them. You can install GIMP using Add / Remove Software, just look for "GIMP".
Pencoed-made Model 1B, Samsung memory
2B 1.1
3B+
4B 2GB

kasek
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:17 am

Re: raspberry pi 4 and wine or x86 emulator

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:20 pm

Fraoch wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:53 pm
Let's try a different approach.

It looks like your end goal is to be able to run "SVG viewer 3.0.exe"...right?

Running this through WINE or some other emulator isn't the right way to go about it, even if the Pi could run it. If you could get it working, the performance is often very poor, even on high spec "big" computers other than the Pi. Some programs run fine, many just don't.

So - what is it that this SVG viewer does? Why do you need it? To view SVG files?

Raspbian's native image viewer can view them. GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) can view and edit them. You can install GIMP using Add / Remove Software, just look for "GIMP".
so starting at the beginning, my project was to have a workstation mounted to my toolbox so that I could get torque specs and wiring diagrams at my box. I got it set up with noobs and chromium will make use of alldata, mitchell on demand, and identifix no problem. The issue is that we work on a lot of fords, they have their own site like the other 3 that is specific to ford (so better data and information). Its motorcraftservice.com, i was able to mask chrome to think its IE10 and the website will load and I can get all the information except for wiring diagrams and connector views.

When you log in and try and go to this section it says that you need SVG viewer 3.0 installed and to click the link to install the exe file. with that installed you can see the wiriing diagrams, with the extension that i had added to chrome (svg viewer) nothing changed. Im thinking 2 things, 1 could it be because that was 1.0 or option 2 its becuase the svg images cant be saved?

If i somehow get passed that It says in the bar near the top of where the wiring diagram should be "SVG currently renders in IE only"
so i dont know if its just saying that because its letting me know or if its because it knows i dont have Ie or if svg viewer isnt installed.

I have attached a photo of what it says and what it looks like if i continue without installed the viewer
Attachments
svg2.png
svg2.png (132.3 KiB) Viewed 1702 times
svg.png
svg.png (12.02 KiB) Viewed 1702 times

Fraoch
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:53 pm
Location: Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

Re: raspberry pi 4 and wine or x86 emulator

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:33 pm

Looks like their website is configured stupidly. It looks like they're looking for a very specific external viewer, which is ridiculous, .SVGs render fine in anything.

Looks like you have to trick the site into thinking the browser is IE, and once you've done that, it checks to see if the external viewer program is this very specific SVG Viewer.

I wonder if it would work any better in Firefox-ESR with User Agent Switcher? Wondering if it will "like" Firefox's SVG viewer more?

Could you just right-click on the "go to without installing" link and view that?

Could you post the specific URL where you see this?
Pencoed-made Model 1B, Samsung memory
2B 1.1
3B+
4B 2GB

Andyroo

Re: raspberry pi 4 and wine or x86 emulator

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:37 pm

It’s not unusual to demand a specific browser in niche programs. The reach truck manuals one company I worked for needed a specific version of Chrome and an energy monitoring package needed IE 4 :o often it’s done by companies who need to be seen ‘keeping customers happy’ by releasing a paperless version but then do not keep it up to date or push support back out if you are trying anything different than their recommended platform.

You may do better to just buy a second hand Intel NUC box and run Windows on it.

There are two under £40 on eBay UK at the moment.

kasek
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:17 am

Re: raspberry pi 4 and wine or x86 emulator

Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:00 pm

Fraoch wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:33 pm
Looks like their website is configured stupidly. It looks like they're looking for a very specific external viewer, which is ridiculous, .SVGs render fine in anything.

Looks like you have to trick the site into thinking the browser is IE, and once you've done that, it checks to see if the external viewer program is this very specific SVG Viewer.

I wonder if it would work any better in Firefox-ESR with User Agent Switcher? Wondering if it will "like" Firefox's SVG viewer more?

Could you just right-click on the "go to without installing" link and view that?

Could you post the specific URL where you see this?
Ill try firefox at home here and see if that works. im assuming there is also a firefox alternative for rasberry pi then. if i click the view without installing option that is the first picture there. they got mixed up when i posted.
http://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnec ... mefrom=MCS
there is a link for viewiing a diagram without installing



edit: tested on firefox no difference
Last edited by kasek on Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kasek
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:17 am

Re: raspberry pi 4 and wine or x86 emulator

Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:01 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:37 pm
It’s not unusual to demand a specific browser in niche programs. The reach truck manuals one company I worked for needed a specific version of Chrome and an energy monitoring package needed IE 4 :o often it’s done by companies who need to be seen ‘keeping customers happy’ by releasing a paperless version but then do not keep it up to date or push support back out if you are trying anything different than their recommended platform.

You may do better to just buy a second hand Intel NUC box and run Windows on it.

There are two under £40 on eBay UK at the moment.
ill take a look at this and see, maybe swap the whole pi unit out for this and use that as a retro gaming station i dunno.
cheapest on amazon is $178, id prob skip this site if i cant get it working and use the pc we have. itsj ust more of an inconvenience it was nice having it right there. if i can find a solution to get it to work though even better

Andyroo

Re: raspberry pi 4 and wine or x86 emulator

Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:04 pm

Only other thing I can come up with is for you to try changing the user agent identity and try and fool it into thinking you have the ‘correct’ browser loaded.

IE 9 had

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)
as it’s agent string. See here for lots of examples.

Of course the real kick in the shins / true IT irony is that IE went to Edge that is going to Chromium :cry:

kasek
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:17 am

Re: raspberry pi 4 and wine or x86 emulator

Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:10 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:04 pm
Only other thing I can come up with is for you to try changing the user agent identity and try and fool it into thinking you have the ‘correct’ browser loaded.

IE 9 had

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)
as it’s agent string. See here for lots of examples.

Of course the real kick in the shins / true IT irony is that IE went to Edge that is going to Chromium :cry:
so i use that then i use firefox to try or do i try it on chromium still?
or do i choose one from under chromium? how do i know which to choose
also reading the fact on the motorcract site it says IE11 is only one supported older versions do not work :evil:
to bad they wouldnt update their webpag to work since no one uses IE and i dont know anyone using edge its all chrome or fire fox
Last edited by kasek on Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fraoch
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:53 pm
Location: Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

Re: raspberry pi 4 and wine or x86 emulator

Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:16 pm

kasek wrote:so i use that then i use firefox to try or do i try it on chromium still?
Did you not already do that?
kasek wrote: i was able to mask chrome to think its IE10 and the website will load and I can get all the information except for wiring diagrams and connector views.
Because if you did, it looks like just changing the user agent string isn't enough - it wants a specific external reader (SVG Viewer 3.0).

I agree with Andyroo, it looks like they're trying to make you jump through all these hoops in order to say that they provide online access, but they don't really want to. They probably want you buying their expensive printed manuals.
Pencoed-made Model 1B, Samsung memory
2B 1.1
3B+
4B 2GB

kasek
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:17 am

Re: raspberry pi 4 and wine or x86 emulator

Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:22 pm

Fraoch wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:16 pm
kasek wrote:so i use that then i use firefox to try or do i try it on chromium still?
Did you not already do that?
kasek wrote: i was able to mask chrome to think its IE10 and the website will load and I can get all the information except for wiring diagrams and connector views.
Because if you did, it looks like just changing the user agent string isn't enough - it wants a specific external reader (SVG Viewer 3.0).

I agree with Andyroo, it looks like they're trying to make you jump through all these hoops in order to say that they provide online access, but they don't really want to. They probably want you buying their expensive printed manuals.
i tried with the extensions built into the browser. is that the same as running the command line there?
wouldnt surprise me i looked at the faq and requires IE11 older versions dont work, edge doesnt work then they list chrome firefox ect dont work, apple products dont work

Andyroo

Re: raspberry pi 4 and wine or x86 emulator

Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:27 pm

Just read SVG 3.0 was pulled by Adobe back in 2009

Maybe direct the supplier to https://www.adobe.com/devnet/svg/adobe- ... r-eol.html and ask for another option?

As for what to try it in? Try anything you have got - it’s only time your spending (though the boss may think differently).

kasek
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:17 am

Re: raspberry pi 4 and wine or x86 emulator

Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:39 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:27 pm
Just read SVG 3.0 was pulled by Adobe back in 2009

Maybe direct the supplier to https://www.adobe.com/devnet/svg/adobe- ... r-eol.html and ask for another option?

As for what to try it in? Try anything you have got - it’s only time your spending (though the boss may think differently).
ya i dont think ill be able to get it working then. You can still downlopad svg viewer so im sure thats all they will tell me since their faq literally lists all the popular browsers as incompatible

Andyroo

Re: raspberry pi 4 and wine or x86 emulator

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:31 am

Try the security angle and tell them they are risking all users by forcing the use of old unsafe software :lol:

kasek
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:17 am

Re: raspberry pi 4 and wine or x86 emulator

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:31 am

Andyroo wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:31 am
Try the security angle and tell them they are risking all users by forcing the use of old unsafe software :lol:
lol i think itll get to messy my boss has to call our local ford to get it set up and the manager there has to get a hold of ford canada to get us an account for the year. ill just use the pc when i need the diagram at least i can get torque specs and some diagrams from the other sites.

thanks for all your help though apprecuate it

User avatar
mikronauts
Posts: 2729
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:28 pm
Contact: Website

Re: raspberry pi 4 and wine or x86 emulator

Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:48 pm

Try a cheap windows tablet.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

mivanchev
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:30 pm

Re: raspberry pi 4 and wine or x86 emulator

Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:41 pm

Hello from the guy that got Notepad++ to run on the Raspberry Pi.
Andyroo wrote: Wine will not run on ARM machines - it’s x86 code only.
This is a general misconception. Wine runs on ARM perfectly. It's just that the software you run through Wine has to be compiled for the ARM instruction set which is actually OP's problem. For IE to run, it has to be recompiled for ARM.

Return to “Beginners”