bomblord

Re: Updated 64-bit Gentoo Image for RPi3 Released (now also for RPi3B+ and RPi4B)

Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:14 pm

1.5.1 is smoother, boots noticeably quicker, seems Firefox is running smoother, and it fixed a lingering audio issue I've been having with some games along with flickering textures.

One game (openmw) now hard crashes at a specific point but I don't think that's related to Gentoo 1.5.1 per say.

BRX7

Re: Updated 64-bit Gentoo Image for RPi3 Released (now also for RPi3B+ and RPi4B)

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:21 pm

Hi i’ ve installed 1.5.0 had the hdmi signal not working. ran the update then “use ne”w config files but that has stopped the boot process to complete, i see it trying to load some partitions but it freezes?
Any tips?

BRX7

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:04 am

Hello
I have updated to 1.5.1 however the new configuration files are stop boot up to continue past the 4 pi logos,
Maybe the target root partuuid is wrong? As doesn't match my blkid

sakaki

Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:36 am

FAO v1.5.1 'early adopters' (bomblord, Gavinmc42, Gazzy et al):

I have discovered a packaging error during testing (the version of ffmpeg bundled did not included 6by9's V4L2 M2M patches, unlike v1.5.0).

I've fixed this in preparation for release (via this commit and this one). To update your own systems, you can just run:

Code: Select all

demouser@pi64 ~ $ sudo emaint sync --repo genpi64
demouser@pi64 ~ $ sudo emerge -v --oneshot --update rpi-64bit-meta
The patched ffmpeg is on the binhost so the above process shouldn't take long (aound 3 minutes or so in total for both steps).

Apologies ><

sakaki

Gazzy

Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:59 am

Sakaki,

Ok, that emerge was quick.

Thank you for all your help

Gazzy

BRX7

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:46 am

I have fixed the Partuuid issue with the correct one, and all updates done, also vnc running.
i ammeded the partuuid entry in recovery.commandline
amazing work

bomblord

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:15 pm

sakaki wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:36 am
FAO v1.5.1 'early adopters' (bomblord, Gavinmc42, Gazzy et al):

I have discovered a packaging error during testing (the version of ffmpeg bundled did not included 6by9's V4L2 M2M patches, unlike v1.5.0).

I've fixed this in preparation for release (via this commit and this one). To update your own systems, you can just run:

demouser@pi64 ~ $ sudo emaint sync --repo genpi64
demouser@pi64 ~ $ sudo emerge -v --oneshot --update rpi-64bit-meta
The patched ffmpeg is on the binhost so the above process shouldn't take long (aound 3 minutes or so in total for both steps).

Apologies ><

sakaki
Thanks it installed fine!

sakaki

Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:13 pm

Hello,

I've just posted a v1.5.1 bugfix release of my bootable 64-bit Gentoo image for the RPi4 B / RPi3 B & B+ on GitHub (here, includes full download instructions).

As always, you can burn the image (~1,720MiB compressed) to a microSD card (>=16GB), then boot your RPi3 or RPi4 from it directly (the root partition will be automatically resized to fill the card on first boot). Full instructions for download and use are provided on the project's GitHub page.

For details of the major changes - including RPi4 support - introduced in 1.5.0, please see my earlier post:

A changelog from the prior release image (with upgrade instructions) may be viewed here, but in summary:
  • Fixed a pulseaudio problem that was causing glitchy audio playback on some systems (by setting tsched=0 in /etc/pulse/default.pa; credit: Darksky). Thanks to Gazzy for reporting.
  • Reversed a change to the default /boot/config.txt that was causing monitor autodetection problems for some users (hdmi_drive=2 was uncommented in v1.5.0, my fault ><). Thanks to Gavinmc42 for reporting / testing the fix.
  • Upgraded the shipped kernels, to bcm{rpi3,2711}-kernel-bis-bin-4.19.67.20190827, and boot firmware, to sys-boot/rpi3-64bit-firmware-1.20190819 (which inter alia should hopefully also solve a number of HDMI issues; thanks to derders and MamiyaOtaru for reporting). The shipped RPi4 kernel contains a PR which fixes a rather serious under-load WiFi problem for >1GiB systems (thanks to jfikar for reporting / testing, and also to pY4x3g for testing).
  • Changed the pyconfig_gen WiFi regulatory domain setup code, so that it also sets cfg80211 ieee80211_regdom via an entry in /etc/modprobe.d/ (the original iw reg set approach is retained also, but it is reportedly not sufficient in all locales). Thanks to Gazzy for suggesting. The combination of this fix and updated kernel should hopefully address the WiFi connection problems that some have reported on the RPi4 (thanks to roylongbottom for providing diagnostic information on this, and to Mrsell for testing).
  • Fixed an (unrelated) bug in pyconfig_gen, which prevents it starting up if the framebuffer display driver was specified (by omission of an vc4-{f,}kms-v3d entry in /boot/config.txt).
  • Improved the build settings for dev-lang/python, by adopting the Debian approach of using -O3 and turning on profile-guided optimisation. This should significantly improve performance of e.g. emerge. For more details, please see this post. Thanks to ejolson for drawing the relatively poor Python performance on the v1.5.0 image to my attention, and to InBetweenNames for the pgo-enabled ebuilds.
  • Added python3_7 to PYTHON_TARGETS, and unmasked for arm64. Following upstream, retained python:3.6 as the default interpreter for now (although you can easily change this if you wish, via eselect python list / sudo eselect python set <...>).
  • Various minor ebuild tidy-ups (including the addition of USE-flag control for a number of RPi-specific patches e.g. rpi-v3d to media-libs/mesa etc.).
  • Split out the core USE-controlled package group in rpi-64bit-meta, into the new innercore and a now-reduced core. This is to allow a minimal image to be more easily specified.
  • All packages brought up-to-date against the Gentoo tree, as of 24 August 2019.
Users already on the prior 1.5.0 or earlier release can upgrade manually by following the instructions given here.

Pi-Top Image EOL; CLI-Only 'Lite' Image Added

Unfortunately, I have had to drop support for the Pi-Top specific image as of this v1.5.1 release. My Pi-Top v1's hub has recently suffered a hardware failure, leaving me unable to charge the internal battery, or boot an RPi3 in its chassis. As such, I am unable to test this variant of the image going forward - and I am not comfortable releasing images I haven't tested myself. You should still be able to bring up the Pi-Top specific drivers by setting the pitop USE flag globally, and then re-emerging rpi-64bit-meta however. My apologies for the inconvenience to users on this platform ><

On a happier note, as of v1.5.1, a 'lite' 64-bit Gentoo image is also provided (as requested here). This contains only the innercore (see above) package set and @system set plus deps, and boots to a CLI. No desktop environment is provided by default, nor are any of the heavyweight applications (Chromium etc.) bundled. The same dual (-bis) kernels and Pi-specific startup services as the main image are used.

Note that for ease of binhost maintenance, this image still derives from the custom (desktop) profile as the 'full-fat' version, and as such contains quite a few more packages than a truly minimal stage 4 would do. But hopefully it should still be a useful starting point for those who want to e.g. build up a headless server. Feedback welcome.

Miscellaneous Hints

Updated EEPROM Firmware
If you are using a Pi4, don't forget to update your EEPROM firmware; there's an official fix released (version 0137a8) that will allow your system to use ~300mW less power. For more information, please see here.

Pimoroni Fan SHIM
If you are using the Pimoroni Fan SHIM with your RPi4, note that you can easily have it turn on and off in a temperature-controlled manner. To do so, simply add the following to /boot/config.txt:

dtoverlay=gpio-fan,gpiopin=18,temp=65000
The temp parameter controls the point at which the fan comes on (in the above, 65°C). Adapt as appropriate. The driver has a built-in 10°C hysteresis, so using the parameters above for example, it will switch off again at 55°C automatically. Thanks to PeterO for the hint.

Have fun ^-^

And, as always, any problems or comments, please post either in this thread, or in the project's (sticky) thread on the Gentoo forums (here).

sakaki

geev03

Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:23 pm

Attachments
gentoo_neofetych.jpg
gentoo_neofetych.jpg (133.96 KiB) Viewed 3305 times

geev03

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:02 pm

sakaki wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:13 pm
Hello,

I've just posted a v1.5.1 bugfix release of my bootable 64-bit Gentoo image for the RPi4 B / RPi3 B & B+ on GitHub (here, includes full download instructions).

Have fun ^-^

sakaki
Thanks a lot ,Sakaki. The initial booting up on a Pi4B-4GB is very fast . Everything works, and 'emerge xrdp' allows remote GUI access (using Microsoft Remote Desktop app) from Android, iOS and Windows devices without any further configurations as was the case in v1.5.0
The fun is just starting only ^-^ ...
Attachments
gentoo-on-rpi-64bit_v1.5.1_Pi4-4.jpg
gentoo-on-rpi-64bit_v1.5.1_Pi4-4.jpg (136.32 KiB) Viewed 3270 times

riccetto80

Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:59 pm

hello, i have maybe a dumb question (im total noob):

this distro will have the same issue raspbian have to play youtube videos?
the lack of double buffering who create horizontal tearing in video, even when video run with no frame drops?

Gazzy

Re 1.51

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:25 am

Hi Sakaki

I installed and tested the new 1.51 image.
Everything went smooth.
Wifi worked with pyconfig, no edits needed.
Switching locale still stopped pyconfig, so I made a new user, after switching locale, and pyconfig works fine for the new user.
Fanshim patch in config.txt works well,
So we could use the light on fanshim for a notification light or something.
I installed layman, and ran a genup, and everything was fine and smooth so, I think you got all the bugs ironed out.
After finishing the setup I installed the skew fix and that was working fine too.

All in all a good packaged image.
Tested on a rpi4 4gb.
Everything works very well.

Thanks for all your work

Gazzy

geev03

Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:55 am

64-bit Gentoo Image v1.5.1 - It is now easy to explore multiple OS using Docker under Gentoo on a Pi4B-4GB
Attachments
gentoo_pi64_docker.jpg
gentoo_pi64_docker.jpg (137.48 KiB) Viewed 3183 times

Gavinmc42

Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:27 am

I so need to learn Docker :D

Nice CLI headless version, but I'm am going to be nit picky.
It seems to need a 16GB uSD card?
I think 8GB is the biggest uSD that can be got in SLC.
I would prefer a nice reliable SLC based SD for any headless server usage.

No big problem, gparted can fix this but it takes more steps.
Of course if I wanted to put a different Desktop on it I need more room.
Then I would have to expand the uSD card image, again using gparted.

Wonder what Desktops run on Gentoo?
I so want to try a Wayland based one.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

sakaki

Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:44 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:27 am
Nice CLI headless version, but I'm am going to be nit picky.
It seems to need a 16GB uSD card?
I think 8GB is the biggest uSD that can be got in SLC.
I would prefer a nice reliable SLC based SD for any headless server usage.

No big problem, gparted can fix this but it takes more steps.
Of course if I wanted to put a different Desktop on it I need more room.
Then I would have to expand the uSD card image, again using gparted.
Good point. So, I have now modified the v1.5.1 'lite' image's shipped partition sizing (and resigned and reuploaded it), so that it will now fit on any card marked as >=8GB (the 'lite' image is 664MiB compressed, and now 7.25GiB == 7.78GB uncompressed). The contents have not changed, nor has the 'full' v1.5.1 image (which still requires a >=16GB card) been altered.

There's no need to worry about expansion room btw - the rootfs is automatically expanded to fit all free space on your card on first boot, even on the 'lite' image. So if you use a (now typical) 32GB or 64GB card, you will have plenty of headroom for GUI experiments ^-^

Best, sakaki

sakaki

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:20 pm

riccetto80 wrote:

the lack of double buffering who create horizontal tearing in video, even when video run with no frame drops?
The same underlying X11 / mesa / vc4-fkms-v3d display pipeline is used here as with Raspbian (only in 64-bit), so I would assume you'd still get tearing with high-res, full-screen videos (for example). Please see comments here (ff.); it appears tearing even occurs with Wayland.

However one advantage of sharing the same pipeline, is that underlying driver / firmware improvements in Raspbian to support the RPi4 - which I expect will come through over time - should benefit gentoo-on-rpi-64bit users also when they land.

hth, sakaki

riccetto80

Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:51 pm

sakaki wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:20 pm
riccetto80 wrote:

The same underlying X11 / mesa / vc4-fkms-v3d display pipeline is used here as with Raspbian (only in 64-bit), so I would assume you'd still get tearing with high-res, full-screen videos (for example). Please see comments here (ff.); it appears tearing even occurs with Wayland.

However one advantage of sharing the same pipeline, is that underlying driver / firmware improvements in Raspbian to support the RPi4 - which I expect will come through over time - should benefit gentoo-on-rpi-64bit users also when they land.

hth, sakaki
thank you for the interesting reply!

sadly, tearing in youtube video is a terrible issue, i mean anyone who will use as desktop replacement will see youtube video time to time.
Look at a video with tearing is insanely bad.

my 10 years old dying laptop with windows 10/ubuntu can run youtube with no tearing whatsoever, windowed or full screen.

my new pi4b with 4gb cannot, and for what i understand, most likely will always have tearing playing youtube videos, even if the fps of the video are less then the refresh of the monitor/tv. very sad.

Gavinmc42

Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:05 am

sadly, tearing in youtube video is a terrible issue, i mean anyone who will use as desktop replacement will see youtube video time to time.
Look at a video with tearing is insanely bad.
I don't run them full screen, windowed is fine.
Most are just music anyway while I'm coding.

Anyway YouTubes in Browsers suck at the moment, that's why Smartphone generally have a separate YT viewer.
Feel free to make one.
Other solutions are coming?
It might take time.

PI where not designed as Browser boxes, they are for teaching coding.
Maybe Chrome OS is what you need?

Sakaki, thanks for the 8GB CLI version, got more of them than any other size ;)
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

nersos

Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:05 am

Hi sakaki, im new on this raspberry think, and linux, im not a coder, nothing.
But um using your Image for RPi4B 4Gb, and so far its perfect, besides i cant see netflix using chromium or firefox.live chanels like in stream4free or daylimotion videos dosent work on chromium but works on firefox is there a way i can put them to work in chromium? in raspbian i can outof the box put them to work but with alot of tearing, ur image for me dosent tear at all , and i think maybe its cuz of flash or somenthing, i tryed everything so far, but nothing worked. can you help on that? fire

gsgs

Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:21 am

isn't it possible/easy to make a 1.7GB compressed image on the sd-card instead,
and on first boot just load a raw decompressor first which creates the full 13GM
image and then boots gentoo ?
Last edited by gsgs on Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

procount

Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:35 am

It already exists and it's called PINN.
Sakaki already maintains a repository to host such compressed versions for gentoo64 for installation using PINN.
It's quite easy to download the compressed files and put them on an SD card with PINN so that they can be installed directly without internet or USB stick, or additional computer.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

sakaki

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:23 pm

nersos wrote:
But um using your Image for RPi4B 4Gb, and so far its perfect, besides i cant see netflix using chromium or firefox.live chanels like in stream4free or daylimotion videos dosent work on chromium but works on firefox is there a way i can put them to work in chromium? in raspbian i can outof the box put them to work but with alot of tearing, ur image for me dosent tear at all , and i think maybe its cuz of flash or somenthing, i tryed everything so far, but nothing worked. can you help on that? fire
Hi nersos,

Could you provide me some specific URLs that you are having problems with? It is possibly to do with with the openh264 or widevine codecs, neither of which I bundle due to licensing restrictions.

Best, sakaki

nersos

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:49 pm

sakaki wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:23 pm
nersos wrote:
Hi nersos,

Could you provide me some specific URLs that you are having problems with? It is possibly to do with with the openh264 or widevine codecs, neither of which I bundle due to licensing restrictions.

Best, sakaki
For exemple this channel https://www.stream4free.live/tf1-live-stream or any daylimotion video, i dunno what codec they use but chromium from ur build dosent play them. the raspian build they play it but with alot of tearing, and your build in youtube i can barely see any tearing. so if you can point me out how can i get those websites to work that would be awsome. im building this rpi4 to gift to my father in law to do a media center on the tv, the laptop he used just died, so would be awsome for me to put it to work. thanks for your reply and for ur amazing work.

sakaki

Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:34 pm

nersos,

perhaps someone more familiar with this particular service can chime in here. It's failing to play for me even on Raspbian (Chromium 74).

For your target application (a media centre), you may be better served using one of the dedicated media-system builds for the RPi4, such as LibreELEC.

Good luck,

sakaki

nersos

Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:57 pm

but he wants to acess chrome and especialy that stream4free webite. to watch those french chanells live.
on the last raspbian build they work for me. i wish i put them to work. i dunno if they are flash or another plugin that i need, in firefox they work, but netflix dosent work with firefox with ur build, i dunno either how to make netflix work with the version of firefox ur build uses.

pi64 ~ # equery uses chromium
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[        : I - package is installed with flag     ]
[ Colors : set, unset                             ]
 * Found these USE flags for www-client/chromium-76.0.3809.87-r1:
 U I
 + + closure-compile    : Enable closure type-checking for Chrome's web
                          technology-based UI. Requires Java.
 - - component-build    : Split build into more shared libraries to speed up
                          linking. Mostly intended for debugging and
                          development, NOT RECOMMENDED for general use.
 + + cups               : Add support for CUPS (Common Unix Printing System)
 - - custom-cflags      : Build with user-specified CFLAGS (unsupported)
 - - gnome-keyring      : Enable support for storing passwords via
                          gnome-keyring
 + + hangouts           : Enable support for Google Hangouts features such as
                          screen sharing
 + + jumbo-build        : Combine source files to speed up build process.
 - - kerberos           : Add kerberos support
 + + l10n_am            : Amharic
 + + l10n_ar            : Arabic
 + + l10n_bg            : Bulgarian
 + + l10n_bn            : Bengali
 + + l10n_ca            : Catalan
 + + l10n_cs            : Czech
 + + l10n_da            : Danish
 + + l10n_de            : German
 + + l10n_el            : Modern Greek
 + + l10n_en-GB         : English (United Kingdom)
 + + l10n_es            : Spanish
 + + l10n_es-419        : Spanish (Latin America)
 + + l10n_et            : Estonian
 + + l10n_fa            : Persian
 + + l10n_fi            : Finnish
 + + l10n_fil           : Filipino
 + + l10n_fr            : French
 + + l10n_gu            : Gujarati
 + + l10n_he            : Hebrew
 + + l10n_hi            : Hindi
 + + l10n_hr            : Croatian
 + + l10n_hu            : Hungarian
 + + l10n_id            : Indonesian
 + + l10n_it            : Italian
 + + l10n_ja            : Japanese
 + + l10n_kn            : Kannada
 + + l10n_ko            : Korean
 + + l10n_lt            : Lithuanian
 + + l10n_lv            : Latvian
 + + l10n_ml            : Malayalam
 + + l10n_mr            : Marathi
 + + l10n_ms            : Malay (macrolanguage)
 + + l10n_nb            : Norwegian Bokmål
 + + l10n_nl            : Dutch
 + + l10n_pl            : Polish
 + + l10n_pt-BR         : Portuguese (Brazil)
 + + l10n_pt-PT         : Portuguese (Portugal)
 + + l10n_ro            : Romanian
 + + l10n_ru            : Russian
 + + l10n_sk            : Slovak
 + + l10n_sl            : Slovenian
 + + l10n_sr            : Serbian
 + + l10n_sv            : Swedish
 + + l10n_sw            : Swahili (macrolanguage)
 + + l10n_ta            : Tamil
 + + l10n_te            : Telugu
 + + l10n_th            : Thai
 + + l10n_tr            : Turkish
 + + l10n_uk            : Ukrainian
 + + l10n_vi            : Vietnamese
 + + l10n_zh-CN         : Chinese (China)
 + + l10n_zh-TW         : Chinese (Taiwan)
 - - openh264           : <unknown>
 - - proprietary-codecs : Enable proprietary codecs like H.264, MP3
 + + pulseaudio         : Add support for PulseAudio sound server
 + + suid               : Build the SUID sandbox, which is only needed on
                          CONFIG_USER_NS=n kernels
 + + system-ffmpeg      : Use system ffmpeg instead of the bundled one
 + + system-icu

Return to “Gentoo”