CiboMatto

Please Help - can't seem to boot kali linux

Sun May 14, 2017 2:41 am

Hi,

I couldn't find any info pertaining to this particular problem in the sticky threads, I was hoping if anyone could please help me out here. I am a complete and total noob when it comes to the Pi and this is my first time attempting to use it so bear with me here. I truly have no idea what i am doing wrong and I am getting a bit frustrated trying to understand it so any feedback is deeply appreciated.

I recently purchased the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B online. I do not have the Raspbian SD card that goes along with it, and I wanted to install Kali Linux as the OS anyways, so I bought a blank SD card and tried mounting the Kali Linux image onto it myself. I downloaded the Kali Linux image for the Pi 3 from this link (https://www.offensive-security.com/kali ... rm-images/). I absolutely made sure this was the correct image file by verifying its SHA256sum, which is listed in the link above. I ran the following command in my terminal to verify the checksum on my image file:

shasum -a 256 kali-2017.01-rpi2.img.xz

The checksum was the exact same hash string as that one listed in the offensive-security download link, so I am 100% certain the image file is correct and not tampered with.

I used the dd utility to mount this image file onto my SD card using this guide (http://docs.kali.org/kali-on-arm/instal ... spberry-pi). I firstly made sure I had the correct driver path for my SD card. I used the "sudo fdisk -l" command to see drive paths for devices (before and after plugging in my SD card). When I plugged my SD card in, i saw the following additional output come up:

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 14.4 GiB, 15489564672 bytes, 30253056 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/mmcblk0p1 8192 30253055 30244864 14.4G c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

I took this to mean that the driver path for my SD card was /dev/mmcblk0.

So with this in mind, I opened up a new terminal window, went to the command directory of my image file, and executed the following command:

sudo dd if=kali-2017.01-rpi2.img.xz of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512k

I am almost absolutely certain this is the correct command and that it mounted the image file successfully onto my SD card because there were no error messages and I got the following (seemingly successful) output:

1715+1 records in
1715+1 records out
899350656 bytes (899 MB, 858 MiB) copied, 101.632 s, 8.8 MB/s

So, since it seemed to work, I then plugged the SD card into my Raspberry Pi, plugged in the charger, my HDMI cable (hooking it up to my monitor), and my USB mouse and keyboard.... and nothing happened.

The red light turns on when I charge the Raspberry Pi, so it absolutely works and can power on. It's just that absolutely nothing happens afterwards. I tried checking the HDMI output to make sure it was working, and it works fine. I have mounted image files for OS's onto USBs before completely without any issue. I truly cannot wrap my head around why this Pi won't boot or display anything on the screen and it is really worrying me because I put a decent wad of cash into this setup. The monitor isn't registering anything, it just says "no signal" even though the Pi is clearly turned on and charging. I heard that the Pi boots from the SD card drive by default so I don't understand why it isn't booting the OS.

If anyone could please offer me tips on what I should try instead please let me know.

Thanks.

drgeoff

Re: Please Help - can't seem to boot kali linux

Sun May 14, 2017 8:47 am

You should uncompress the .xz file to get the .img one and then

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=kali-2017.01-rpi2.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512k

CiboMatto

Sun May 14, 2017 5:57 pm

Alright, I managed to successfully extract the img.xz file into an img file. However now I have run into a new problem, one that wasn't there before when I started this process and it is causing me a great deal of concern and confusion.

So I went and tried using the dd command to image the Kali OS onto my SD card, using the command "sudo dd if=kali-2017.01-rpi2.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512k". Now when I run it, I get the following error output:

dd: failed to open '/dev/mmcblk0': Read-only file system

This is the first time I have ever encountered this error. I even used the dd command last night (not even 12 hours ago) and it worked perfectly fine, imaging the file onto the SD card, and giving me output showing that it was done successfully. Now even when I run the command under sudo it says this is a read-only drive and I cannot access it.

Is this because I unmounted the SD card?

best wishes
Last edited by CiboMatto on Sun May 14, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CiboMatto

Sun May 14, 2017 6:26 pm

Hi there....

I tried using a different SD card and tried the above command with dd and I still got the exact same error again. I tried the dd command when the SD card was mounted, and after I unmounted it, and both times I got the same read-only error.

I tried the following command to turn off the Read-Only access:

"sudo mount --options remount,rw /dev/mmcblk0"

Problem is, I get the following error back:

"mount: /dev/mmcblk0 not mounted or bad option
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so."

I tried unmounting the SD card driver, going back into the terminal, and ran the same sudo mount command, and I got the same error message.

I'm really at a loss as to how to proceed from here.... any help again is appreciated.

best wishes

pws

Sun May 14, 2017 11:21 pm

1. Download and install one of these: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
2. Enjoy your Raspberry Pi
;)

drgeoff

Mon May 15, 2017 12:18 am

CiboMatto wrote:So I went and tried using the dd command to image the Kali OS onto my SD card, using the command "sudo dd if=kali-2017.01-rpi2.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512k". Now when I run it, I get the following error output:

dd: failed to open '/dev/mmcblk0': Read-only file system

This is the first time I have ever encountered this error. I even used the dd command last night (not even 12 hours ago) and it worked perfectly fine, imaging the file onto the SD card, and giving me output showing that it was done successfully. Now even when I run the command under sudo it says this is a read-only drive and I cannot access it.
Are you using a micro-SD to SD card adaptor in the card reader? Has the 'Lock' switch on the adaptor got moved?

CiboMatto

Mon May 15, 2017 12:21 pm

pws wrote:1. Download and install one of these: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
2. Enjoy your Raspberry Pi
;)
thanks, but i am really specifically looking for Kali Linux. I will try this though so i can at least get my pi up and running.... i will post back here. I donot understand why my SD card is having such a hard time working.... but anyways

14lsmith2

Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:36 pm

Hi guys, been awhile since any new posts ‐ I have a similar problem...
So I have a raspberry pi Model B... yes the 2011-2012 model in 2019
I have raspbarian on a 4GB SD, works fine (although some problems with Sudo Apt-Get Update - but hey ho, dont worry bout that, I want kali linux anyways)
So I installed 32bit and 64 bit Kali linux (I've tried both) from the same website as posted above (kali linux ARM Offensive security Blah Blah Blah.)
Unzipped the .XZ file using 7-Zip (this is all on my windows 10 laptop). Then ive used RUFUS to download the iso/image onto my Micro Sd... now I only have a 16GB micro SD and a 4GB SD (it come with the Pi when I bought it)... so of course I use an adapter because my pi is so old it uses a SD card as its boot...
Now with 32 bit Kali linux It loads, comes up with loads of terminal commands and loads of writing stuff, loading/booting - just like raspbarian does before you enter the username and password and type startx- , then gets stuck on a line (now this is where I think its dodgy as f***)
"3.224856] ---[ end kernel panic -not syncing : Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x0000000b"
.... so erm yea... just stays on that... but it is booting...
Then Kali Linux 64 bit just stays on the multicolored screen, I mean with literally With only - power, SD and HDMI, stays on that screen for 10 mins +++++
Now ofc before someone says 'are you downloading the raspberry foundation ones?' Yessssss

But there is something I have noticed... my Micro SD now has a partition, no matter what, I've used two different windows 10 computers, in a usb micro SD adapter and in the SD micro Sd adapter, it always comes up on the computer as about 14.4GB in the correct drive (cannot remember but for example E:) and EVERY TIME there is a 250MB odd partition that ALWAYS appears in F: (even on a totally different computer AND when using a different location like SD reader and not a USB port, and even more a totally different usb port everytime aha) And even rufus recognises the partition and when you burn the image again, it comes up with the drive E: (for example) AND F: - EVERYTIME!
Then rufus always installs all the packages on to the 250MB partion, and apparantly only uses about 150MB - now obviously bearing in mind that rufus of course re formats the drive everytime... so it should become one partion again... And as for the partion I actually tried plugging the Micro Sd into my phone (samsung Galaxy S8) reformatted it - still the same when I put it into a computer - I even used my USB-S To female USB, then USB to Mirco USB adapters on my phone so my phone recognises it in another drive, EXACT SAME! - do I need to download a different image or SOMETHING???

Is this a broken micro SD card or is there just something stupidly wrong here??
I was literally following a video on youtube on how to do this...
https://youtu.be/WluH-mx4ORU

Like Can SOMEBODY HELP ME PLZ
I do have a 64GB micro sd in the post (it was meant to go into my phone but hey ho - let's see if it works on that ahaha) - I will keep everyone updated

But is there an alternative way to install kali linux or to burn the Iso/Image onto the micro SD?
And I cant even erase the 4GB SD with raspbarian on it seen as you 'need' a 8gb or more SD to support Kali linux....

Cheers ladies and gents (and Kiddos probably ahah), hope you can help a total Rasberry Pi Noob rn
Last edited by 14lsmith2 on Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:44 pm

14lsmith2 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:36 pm

Now ofc before someone says 'are you downloading the raspberry foundation ones?' Yessssss
There is NO official RPF version of Kali linux!
only "self made" ones, and I doubt there is a 64-bit version.
Moved to "other", with all the other unofficial OS.

try to find support from other Kali linux users, but if I'm brutally hones Kali Linux is NOT suitable for unexperienced linux users (noobs).

14lsmith2

Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:54 pm

""
There is NO official RPF version of Kali linux!
only "self made" ones, and I doubt there is a 64-bit version.
Moved to "other", with all the other unofficial OS.

try to find support from other Kali linux users, but if I'm brutally hones Kali Linux is NOT suitable for unexperienced linux users (noobs).
[/quote]

Here's the link of the one I used
https://www.offensive-security.com/kali ... rm-images/
Could you reccomend any websites of any that do work - and it's more I just need to do one thing on it in which I have multiple videos on about doing, other than that - I can start up from the bottom and work my way up, just there is one thing I need to do, which involves only Kali Linux - and I dont have my laptop here (I have separate parents and I stay at ones the majority of the time, but at the others I have a computer) otherwise I would install kali linux on the laptop.

I would really appreciate any help - thanks

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:01 pm

No, because I don't use Kali Linux, I use Raspbian.

there are other Kali linux threads here in other, so I suggest reading those, that might help.

or try to find a kali linux forum.

DirkS

Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:19 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:01 pm
or try to find a kali linux forum.
https://forums.kali.org/

14lsmith2

Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:46 pm

What one would you reccomend? Bearing in mind I will be using Airdragon or sommin (wifi monitoring and packet injection) - but on Rpi Model B with 512mb Ram... also 32 bit right??
Attachments
Screenshot_20190825-222810_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190825-222810_Chrome.jpg (234.89 KiB) Viewed 1203 times
Last edited by 14lsmith2 on Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

DougieLawson

Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:59 pm

EVERYONE would recommend that you post your questions on https://forums.kali.org/ where the folks who develop, build and use Kali have their own support forums.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:51 am

14lsmith2 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:46 pm
What one would you reccomend? Bearing in mind I will be using Airdragon or sommin (wifi monitoring and packet injection) - but on Rpi Model B with 512mb Ram... also 32 bit right??

Please stop posting giant emojis this is not social media

You have the wrong download page, see:

https://www.offensive-security.com/kali ... rm-images/
Retired disgracefully.....

14lsmith2

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:29 am

Cheers for help - nice to know it's nice and friendly round here too... :?
And that's the page I have got my kali linux Images from thanks, they dont boot - And sorry but hence the title I thought somebody could help me a little.
Im going to try downloading different versions from that website - maybe there is a specific one for the RPi 1. Any other suggestions? I've looked on the kali linux Fourms - as helpful as banging your head against a brick wall... just says that old Github downloads should work,
From https://cyberkryption.wordpress.com/201 ... erry-pi-2/
I did read something that might help, but I dont understand something... - could somebody please explain how you would edit scripts? The articles explained about changing a variable name or something or other(And please not get moaned at- like please?)

** and for your information, the kali linux fourms have been locked, so unless I start a new one this is my only source of info

Once again thankyou for everyones help.

rpdom

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:54 am

Having at least two partitions on the SD card is normal for a Pi. The first small partition is in VFAT format and contains the initial boot code. That one will be usable in Windows. The other partition contains everything else in the system. Windows won't be able to see the contents without extra software.

Which image did you try from the download site?

It looks to me like the last one may be suitable for a Pi 1B, and possible the one above it that says it is for the Pi Zero (as they have the same main chip set)

14lsmith2

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:02 am

THANKYOU! and I downloaded these (see picture)
Would you be able to tell me which one is the correct one?
Attachments
20190826_085908.jpg
20190826_085908.jpg (183.32 KiB) Viewed 1136 times

fruitoftheloom

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:15 am

14lsmith2 wrote:
THANKYOU! and I downloaded these (see picture)

As you stated you have a 1B RPi you download the last one on the list.
Retired disgracefully.....

rpdom

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:17 am

14lsmith2 wrote:
The first one says it is for the Pi 2,3 and 4 only. The second says it is for the Pi2 and 3 only and that won't work because it is 64-bit and the Pi 1B is 32-bit only.

As you say you have a Pi 1B, I'd suggest trying the one that just says "Kali Linux RPi" at the end of the list.

All my 1Bs are in use at the moment, or I'd try it myself.

14lsmith2

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:28 am

Okay thankyou alot - I will do that and tell you the results - thankyou everyone a bunch :mrgreen:

**Edit
It worked, for anyone using raspberry Pi 1 or pi zero, you will need to download the bottom selection of just Kali linux RPi from offensive security arm images

Thankyou to everyone for the help

Return to “Other”