KitchM

Network Utility

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:32 pm

Is there a GUI utility for network configuration that works on Raspbian 9?

neilgl

Re: Network Utility

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:53 pm

Assuming we mean Raspbian 9 (stretch) - what do you want to configure?

KitchM

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:38 am

Well, I see that maybe we need to get clear on the specific OS version. How many different version of Raspbian 9 have there been?

DirkS

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:45 am

KitchM wrote:
Well, I see that maybe we need to get clear on the specific OS version. How many different version of Raspbian 9 have there been?
The question is: what do you want to configure?
The standard RPF desktop has panel applets for configuring Wifi credentials, IP addresses, etc.

B.Goode

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:35 am

KitchM wrote:

Raspberry Pi released 9 (nine) images based on Raspbian/Debian 9/Stretch between August 2017 and April 2019.

References:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... _notes.txt
https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/

[That might or might not be consistent with your interpretation of "How many different version of Raspbian 9 have there been."]

KitchM

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:42 pm

Do you all think that answers the first part of what neilgl said? He seemed to indicate that there were different version in the one I mentioned. I'm confused.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:24 pm

KitchM wrote:
Do you all think that answers the first part of what neilgl said? He seemed to indicate that there were different version in the one I mentioned. I'm confused.

There was an initial release of Raspbian Stretch around 2 years ago.....

Over the last 2 years there have been various updates and a newer image is released incorporating these updates and is called a "point release" ie 9.1, 9.2 etcetera.

Is there a GUI utility for network configuration that works on Raspbian 9?

Now back to your original question, what are you trying to achieve and are you running Stretch with or without a Desktop GUI ?????
Retired disgracefully.....

B.Goode

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:34 pm

KitchM wrote:

As should have been clear from the quote at the start of the reply, my response was to your question "How many different version of Raspbian 9 have there been?"

The first part of the contribution from @neilgl appeared to be a clarification of his assumption about the version of the OS being used. If his assumption was valid no further discussion was required.
Last edited by B.Goode on Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KitchM

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:41 pm

Thanks for clearing that up. I was pretty sure there was a version 8, 9, and 10, and that was that. Good to know I was right. I don't understand why people wish to confuse the issue. :?

Anyway, I'm not sure what a desktop GUI is. I believe that is redundant. If one has a Desktop Environment everything is a GUI. :roll:

It doesn't make any difference, but I am using the lite version of the OS with the DE.

So, again, the whole point is I'm looking for a network utility. It should be obvious to anyone that a network utility that only deals with wireless connections is not much of a utility. Whenever anyone says network utility in general, they would want something that deals with all sorts of network configuration in one place. And that is what I want.

If there is text-based or CLI version, similar to raspi-config, I guess could use it. It is obviously not preferred in this day and age, but usable.

So, what 'cha got? :)

KitchM

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:50 pm

@B.Goode.
I am totally aware that your response was to my question. I did indeed accept it as such.

Your assumption regarding @neilgl's assumptions may or may not be correct. There is no way to know from his comment.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:50 pm

KitchM wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up. I was pretty sure there was a version 8, 9, and 10, and that was that. Good to know I was right. I don't understand why people wish to confuse the issue. :?

Anyway, I'm not sure what a desktop GUI is. I believe that is redundant. If one has a Desktop Environment everything is a GUI. :roll:

It doesn't make any difference, but I am using the lite version of the OS with the DE.

So, again, the whole point is I'm looking for a network utility. It should be obvious to anyone that a network utility that only deals with wireless connections is not much of a utility. Whenever anyone says network utility in general, they would want something that deals with all sorts of network configuration in one place. And that is what I want.

If there is text-based or CLI version, similar to raspi-config, I guess could use it. It is obviously not preferred in this day and age, but usable.

So, what 'cha got? :)

If I state Desktop Environment, newbies get confused as they tend to just use GUI to describe anything not command line...

YMMV Gnome Network Manger ????

https://packages.debian.org/buster/network-manager

https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager

As an aside Raspbian Buster 10 is the currently supported Operating System !

KitchM

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:55 pm

Thanks much. I'll give those a try.

BTW, I must use 9 because I am setting up Freeswitch thru FusionPBX and they only support 9.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:05 pm

KitchM wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:55 pm
Thanks much. I'll give those a try.

BTW, I must use 9 because I am setting up Freeswitch thru FusionPBX and they only support 9.

FusionPBX does not state Debian ARMHF support ??? Raspbian is a fork of Debian ARMHF !!!

Maybe:. http://www.raspberry-asterisk.org/

rpdom

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:10 pm

KitchM wrote:
Now that does confuse matters. The Lite version of Raspbian doesn't have a DE.

Have you added the DE to the Lite version, or do you mean you have the standard Desktop version without the recommended additional software?

It's not important, and won't solve your issues. I'm just asking out of curiosity.

KitchM

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:45 pm

@fruitoftheloom,
Well, there is talk of others using it for such, and it did find the ARM processor just fine during install, so perhaps I made a mistake of assuming all was good. But ARMHF..........?

@rpdom,
One must think it thru. There are only three version of Raspbian. I specifically mentioned the "lite version of the OS with the DE". Straight out of the box, with no changes and no additions. Not the capital L "Lite" version which has no DE. Perhaps I should have said the "lighter" version or "Raspbian Stretch with desktop". Didn't mean to confuse.

BTW, the whole idea of only three supported versions is an unnecessary and confusing contrivance. All proper installation setups just use the basic install and allows the user to select what they wish to install. For the novice, there can be suggested groupings. That makes it so much better. Unnatural limitations do not serve anyone's best interest. Just my two cents.

KitchM

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:49 pm

@fruitoftheloom
Network Manager was sure the right choice for Raspbian. Thanks much. :D

There is a good howto at https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... n-raspbian.

The user cannot change anything from the GUI, but can sudo nmtui in a terminal to do it.

The one problem might be that there is something in Raspbian still setting another IP address because my router sees the computer under two different address. :?

neilgl

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:48 pm

Er have you got an Ethernet cable plugged in and also connected via WiFi?

bjtheone

Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:05 am

KitchM wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:45 pm
@fruitoftheloom,
Well, there is talk of others using it for such, and it did find the ARM processor just fine during install, so perhaps I made a mistake of assuming all was good. But ARMHF..........?

@rpdom,
One must think it thru. There are only three version of Raspbian. I specifically mentioned the "lite version of the OS with the DE". Straight out of the box, with no changes and no additions. Not the capital L "Lite" version which has no DE. Perhaps I should have said the "lighter" version or "Raspbian Stretch with desktop". Didn't mean to confuse.

BTW, the whole idea of only three supported versions is an unnecessary and confusing contrivance. All proper installation setups just use the basic install and allows the user to select what they wish to install. For the novice, there can be suggested groupings. That makes it so much better. Unnatural limitations do not serve anyone's best interest. Just my two cents.
There are many version of Raspbian. Typical "version" in that context equates to major release, such as 9 or the current 10. They also have release names like Jessie (8), Stretch (9), Buster (10) which follow the Debian release names and people tend to refer to those rather than the numbers. For convenience Raspberry packages up a custom version of Debian specifically tweaked for the Pi, calls their distribution Raspbian and offers 3 variants (Lite - no X11 windowing system, no desktop; Minimal Desktop - X11, LXDE Desktop, minimal apps; and Full Desktop - X11, LXDE Desktop, and fairly complete apps suite). No sure what more you would expect. If you want a particular Desktop or tool suite you are already more sophisticated than someone just starting out and can easily tailor a setup using the Lite variant and loading whatever windowing system and desktop on top of it. For example I Run Raspbian Lite with Mate Desktop and a sprinkling of utils, including RedHats Network Manager. You could even load Ubuntu or compile Gentoo if that floats your boat. However, expecting a very small company to support infinite combinations is rather silly.

Given that lots of folks run desktops other than the default LXDE that comes with the Raspbian, asking which you run is relevant, since many desktops come with GUI based Network Management tools. Some of these tools separate out wired and wireless networks.

KitchM

Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:55 pm

While I find your comments interesting, the basic idea has been "distro", meaning distribution, as you know. So Raspbian is a distro. Within that distro are different versions or variants as you may wish to call it. Of course, one can say that the number changes in Debian are the versions, and that is perfectly fine.

Regardless, there are only three "variants" or iso versions officially listed by Raspberry Pi people for their computers. While there are other variants by outside parties, they only count if specifically mentioned in context. Otherwise we assume one of the official three.

With all that said, my idea is far better; simply have one install package with the three variants built in as a menu choice during install. Further, other options also become readily available because the user can select the packages they wish to install along with and during that process, making the whole thing much more intuitive. Making assumptions for the newbie is always a bad idea, simply because there is not simple classes of people; they are at all different levels of expertise.

Oh, and the default of LXDE is an exceptionally bad one. One clear reason for this is that the panel cannot be intuitively customized. I cannot tell you how often the silly thing causes me problems when it restores from hidden but is below the full screen app. That's just dumb. Makes you wonder about the caliber of the programmer who has it go from the hidden state to a different hidden state. Bizarre.

And, getting back to the original issue, now we must deal with the odd network settings that cause two different IP addresses to be created. That wasn't from Debian. Reinventing the wheel rarely works.

epoch1970

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:04 pm

Spectacular. Bravo! Encore!
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

KitchM

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:59 pm

Return to “Beginners”