Gavinmc42

Re: Slow web browser

Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:24 am

......... and someone refusing to answer questions and just keeps posting nonsensical dribble...........
Sometimes the noise helps.
I now want to know if browsing is faster via VNC.
A question I am interested in learning the answer to :D
Wonder if YT is possible?
The trouble with PI's I have more questions the more I learn.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Wyke

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:16 pm

Many thanks for clearing up a few things and having the patience to guide me. I am certainly not wanting to criticise anything or anyone.....I am on beginners forum to try and learn a few things I have always been fascinated by.

So I need a pi 4 by looks of things. Not sure I get the VNC stuff and serial cable.....we have a virgin media router at home with two laptops running off it ...does that make it a network? Is a serial connection the same as usb?
Sorry to fire so many questions.
Do you know best place to buy a pi 4 ..or are they fixed price ?

fruitoftheloom

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:19 pm

Wyke wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:16 pm
Many thanks for clearing up a few things and having the patience to guide me. I am certainly not wanting to criticise anything or anyone.....I am on beginners forum to try and learn a few things I have always been fascinated by.

So I need a pi 4 by looks of things. Not sure I get the VNC stuff and serial cable.....we have a virgin media router at home with two laptops running off it ...does that make it a network? Is a serial connection the same as usb?
Sorry to fire so many questions.
Do you know best place to buy a pi 4 ..or are they fixed price ?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/

https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/

https://www.google.com for finding out about everything you do not really want to know about..
Retired disgracefully.....

dominic03

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:01 pm

Wyke wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:24 am
I would be interested to learn what is different between a terminal command and run command .
The run button is to run a single line of code without a terminal window (so it would be unsuitable for command-line apps).
Running from the terminal would get command line output too. For example, sudo raspi-config would not be suitable using Run, but it would work fine from a terminal.

If you prefer it, you can run epiphany or epiphany-browser from the terminal.
My setup:
Raspberry Pi 3b+ running Raspbian Buster, firmware date July 9 2019 (via PINN)
Kingston 32 GB class 10 (U1) SDHC card
Lexar 16GB flash drive for backups
pi-top 3 with drivers and pi-topHUB 2.0

Fraoch

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:39 pm

Wyke wrote:
Looks like I need to invest in a more recent pi .. if I want to web browse ?
You can make a Pi1 run a little faster - at the terminal type "raspi-config" and go to overclocking. Set it at 950 MHz. You could set it to 1000, but I found my Pi1B got quite hot at 1000.

That'll get you some extra performance.

Yes, the 3B+ is much better at web browsing. The Pi4 is better still, but prices may be higher because supply is limited.

If you get a new Pi, you can reuse your Pi1 as a Pi-hole to block ads on your network. It works quite well for that.
Pencoed-made Model 1B, Samsung memory
2B 1.1
3B+
4B 2GB

Gavinmc42

Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:59 am

Plenty of uses for old Pi's.
Python comes with SimpleHTTPServer, so you can turn it into webserver for all sorts of things.
Lots of my old ones are security cameras.

Web Browsing is one of the hardest thing for PC's and Pi's to do.

Download 80 Pi magazines to see what you can use Pi's for.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/issues/
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:34 am

Fraoch wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:39 pm
Wyke wrote:
Looks like I need to invest in a more recent pi .. if I want to web browse ?
You can make a Pi1 run a little faster - at the terminal type "raspi-config" and go to overclocking. Set it at 950 MHz. You could set it to 1000, but I found my Pi1B got quite hot at 1000.

That'll get you some extra performance.

Yes, the 3B+ is much better at web browsing. The Pi4 is better still, but prices may be higher because supply is limited.

If you get a new Pi, you can reuse your Pi1 as a Pi-hole to block ads on your network. It works quite well for that.

https://packages.debian.org/buster/links2
Retired disgracefully.....

Wyke

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:58 pm

This is just amazing....I have heard of black holes ...... but never a pi hole . I am seriously wanting to understand all of this...but I think it may take some time .
Thanks again for your support and guidance...I must buy a new version....but would love to make use of my old one.
Love the idea of security camera......so any guidance welcomed.
I have looked for new one....none available?
Pi hole seems even more appealing if I understood.

Fraoch

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:10 pm

Wyke wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:58 pm
This is just amazing....I have heard of black holes ...... but never a pi hole . I am seriously wanting to understand all of this...but I think it may take some time .
It's easy to install and runs and updates itself.

It's a set of programs that install from an operating system, so first you need an operating system. You could use what you have installed already, but if you don't intend to use it as a desktop any more, there are lots of wasted resources. The simplest is to install Raspbian Lite and just type in the "One Step Automated Install" command. That's it.

Let it do its thing, then set your other network clients' DNS to it as indicated in the instructions below that.

Your Pi can still be used for other things while it runs this too.
2B 1.1
3B+
4B 2GB

Gavinmc42

Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:12 am

There is three main security cam programs , I use two of them.
MotionEye OS and Pikrellcam.
MotionEye OS can use USB webcams.
I use old secondhand Sony Playstation 2 Eyecams.
Can get them as low as $2.
Good for bots and they have 4 microphones

Pikrellcam uses the Pi camera which costs more but are 8M pixel.
But it can use the Eyecam as audio input for motion movie capture.
I am seriously wanting to understand all of this...but I think it may take some time .
Yep, been using them for 7 years and I still barely understand them.
If you are scared of learning then perhaps give that old Pi away and get a life :lol:

I think Eben said in the blog video the other day, no one person can know it all.
He said something like 300 people were involved in developing the new Pi4.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

Wyke

Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:28 am

Thanks again for your support
I will have a look at getting a camera .......eBay for cheap ones or is it best to go to pistore?

Gavinmc42

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:09 am

Most of my Eyecams were used ones traded in at EBGames years ago.
Got a bag of 5 for $10 5 years ago, might be hard to get these days?
Secondhand shops that have game consoles etc, good for $5 monitors too.

fswebcam or cheese are good for testing webcams.

Depends on you budget, a Pi camera can be nearly the price of Pi.
8M pixels even sub sampled is better than any security camera, at least that is what a local cop told me ;)
Start here for learning how to use the Pi camera.
https://picamera.readthedocs.io/en/release-1.13/
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

PurpleAki

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:14 pm

I have a similar issue in that I am also returning to an old (1st gen - 5 year old) Pi.

I am trying to run local web pages on it, (HTML5 and javascript games) running a local Apache2 server.

They load up incredibly slowly and not all of the functionality is present. (Note my Windows pc does what I want 100%
so in theory i know my files are ok) I have tried both new and old versions of Raspbian and different browsers)

My question is... Will buying a new pi (V3 or V4?) run the pages ok for me? Or will I still encounter lag etc?

I am trying to create a kiosk style game thing for a museum. My plan is / was to have the pi host the local files
and plug into a touch screen. An easy enough job, except for the speed issue. If the pages were plain text, I'd be fine, but they are games.

Any thoughts welcome - thanks.

Fraoch

Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:25 pm

When you're seeing this, is CPU usage 100%? Type "top" at the command line.

You could step down to no desktop GUI (you can configure this through raspi-config) and also overclock it (through raspi-config as well) but if you've done both and are still showing 100% CPU usage...you're out of resources.

If you did need to get a newer one, the step from the model 1 to the model 2 was very large (single core to quad core) - the 2 actually has lots of power compared to the 1 and would have no problem doing this.

The 2 is no longer available, but the 3B+ would have lots and lots of power to do what you want to do. The 4 would be overkill, but if you can find it, it would have no problem.
2B 1.1
3B+
4B 2GB

Return to “Beginners”