jr3us

Re: When are people in the U.S. getting their Pi 4s?

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:01 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:54 pm
jr3us wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:31 pm
I received my 2GB and 4GB rpi's last week on thursday. I am just using a regular charger with 6 ports(an Anker) that can put out 2.1 Amps per port. I am not doing any hard drives on the usb so I don't need the extra amperage. I put a meter on the supply, and It is only pulling about .6 amps under load by itself.

I have only seen one problem with the RPi4 and that is that I had to add 3 lines to config.txt to make them like 2 of my Televisions(One of them a Philips, the other no name of some sort) . Interesting that I took the same buster image that I was using on the RPI4, and booted a 3B+, and it saw the video just fine.

Otherwise, I am happy with them!

as far as smallest hard drive, I bought an 8088 clone (with turbo mode!) AND a 10MB drive for $1000 in 1986!

Regards!
I've been watching the tracking (such as it is) of an order of a couple HDMI cables and a Pi4B2 from OKdo. The order was acknowledged on 11 July. I got a shipping notice dated 12 July. The shipment was "created" on 15 July. The most recent ("Hub scan - out") was on 19 July, at about 5:30 AM. Since then, no updates. I think they put it on a sailing vessel to get it across the ocean...and didn't even use a clipper.
I ordered mine from Canakit, and it took a couple days for them to get it from their business to the USPS. No idea why, According to Canakit, when I ordered them they were in stock a week earlier.

I just checked their website, and they currently have 1GB and 2GB models available or will ship now, or in a couple days. The 4GB versions are end of this month.

HawaiianPi

Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:26 pm

DavidS wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:29 pm
Interesting point of view. I would say that 1GB is pretty lean for use with super memory wasters, not for a desktop system.
You mean like people who want to have Twitter, Facebook and 20-30 other tabs open all at once, while streaming Netflix (you know, normal people)? I suspect you know very well that you are not a typical computer user when compared to the vast majority out there.

I really am glad you find your little Pi3 satisfactory for daily use, but I (and I imagine most others) need a bit more.

My 4B 2GB scores around 8205 on Octane 2.0 (average of 5 runs), which is about 2.5X faster than my 3B+ model, and that's great, but it's still almost 3 times slower than my Chromebook (which is slower than my Win10 budget gaming laptop). So it all comes down to what you want to do, and how much performance you need.

The Pi 4B with 2GB or 4GB solves a major bottleneck in performance for RAM heavy web browsing and streaming, and I can see it as a nice, inexpensive solution for people on a tight budget (much more so than the 3B), especially if they have leftover bits from an earlier system, like a monitor, keyboard and mouse.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

HawaiianPi

Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:49 pm

jr3us wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:01 pm
I ordered mine from Canakit, and it took a couple days for them to get it from their business to the USPS. No idea why, According to Canakit, when I ordered them they were in stock a week earlier.
I had a similar experience with Pimoroni. Order confirmed right away, shipping confirmation a few days later. Probably just their shipping department getting overwhelmed (too many orders, not enough people to pack them).

I just checked their website, and they currently have 1GB and 2GB models available or will ship now, or in a couple days. The 4GB versions are end of this month.
Amazon (USA) had the 4GB Canakit in stock a couple of days ago (with free 1-2 day shipping for Prime members). I was tempted, but my Pimoroni order is on its way, and I had to replace my smartphone recently, and that really smarted (see what I did there).

pfletch101

Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:53 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:48 pm
HawaiianPi wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:25 pm
I think my first hard drive only had 20MB of storage, and you wouldn't believe what that cost. :shock:
You might be surprised. One of the research chemists at a company I worked in that era got permission to add an HDD to his PC. He was given a budget of $1000. He was ecstatic when he found a company that was bringing out a new line of HDDs with discounted introductory prices. He was able to get a 15MB drive for $985.
On a similar note, in the early 1980s, I was involved in some high level negotiations between my (clinical) department at a University hospital and the Bioengineering Department about the joint purchase of a 'large' hard disk for our joint use. The beasty in question was about the size of a washing machine, required an air-conditioned environment, and cost nearly $100,000. Its capacity? 80 MB!

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:53 am

pfletch101 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:53 am
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:48 pm
HawaiianPi wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:25 pm
I think my first hard drive only had 20MB of storage, and you wouldn't believe what that cost. :shock:
You might be surprised. One of the research chemists at a company I worked in that era got permission to add an HDD to his PC. He was given a budget of $1000. He was ecstatic when he found a company that was bringing out a new line of HDDs with discounted introductory prices. He was able to get a 15MB drive for $985.
On a similar note, in the early 1980s, I was involved in some high level negotiations between my (clinical) department at a University hospital and the Bioengineering Department about the joint purchase of a 'large' hard disk for our joint use. The beasty in question was about the size of a washing machine, required an air-conditioned environment, and cost nearly $100,000. Its capacity? 80 MB!
IBM 2314: 29MB per (removable) pack.
IBM 2311: 7.25MB per (removable) pack.

Both used 14" platters. The packs for the 2311 were 6 high (10 tracks per cylinder), and for the 2314, 11 high (20 tracks per cylinder). Those were both from the days when the head actuator was hydraulic, though the 3rd party "plug replacement" drives for the 2314 used a voice coil linear induction motor, where the coil was about 4 inches in diameter. Fun times...

MisterEd

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:58 pm

Jaredthebob wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:58 pm
MisterEd wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:58 am
Jaredthebob wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:49 pm

Hi there my Canakit regular Raspberry Pi 4 4GB Starter Kit - 32GB Storage has been shipped on the 19th. I live in the states and I should be expecting it in the next 6 - 10 business days. Glad I ordered this when I did!
When did you order yours? I ordered mine on June 24th and have heard nothing yet.
I ordered mine July 15th. Sorry to hear yours hasn't shipped yet.
I sent an email to CanaKit on Sunday. Here is a timeline for what followed:

Code: Select all

7/21/2019 02:11 AM Email to Canakit:  Inquiry about reason for delay
7/22/2019 12:00 PM Canakit online order status: Pending order
7/22/2019 02:26 PM Email from Canakit: Response to inquiry
7/22/2019 04:00 PM Canakit online order status: Processing order
7/22/2019 09:00 PM Canakit online order status: Shipped
7/22/2019 09:25 PM Email from Canakit: Shipment Confirmation
7/23/2019 -------- Expected delivery from Canakit
7/24/2019 -------- Scheduled delivery by FedEx
In their response they said my order was shipped on Friday July 19th and picked up by the shipper on Monday July 22nd. They also said I should get my order by Tuesday July 23rd.

In the shipment confirmation there was a FedEx tracking number. According FedEx I am supposed to receive my shipment before 10:30am on Wednesday July 24th.

I am a little perplexed by this. If they shipped my order last Friday July 19th shouldn't I have received an email from them a lot sooner. I paid for USA - Expedited shipping (2 to 3 business days) but they upped the shipping to USA - Express (1 to 2 business days) for no extra charge.

I have no way to confirm this but I almost get the feeling they somehow overlooked my order and gave me a free shipping upgrade as compensation. Note I placed my order on June 24th the same day the Raspberry Pi 4 was announced.

HawaiianPi

Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:47 pm

MisterEd wrote:
I have no way to confirm this but I almost get the feeling they somehow overlooked my order and gave me a free shipping upgrade as compensation. Note I placed my order on June 24th the same day the Raspberry Pi 4 was announced.
Anything's possible. The only thing we can be fairly certain of is that a lot of people people are buying these things, and most of the Raspberry Pi specialty resellers are small companies with a small staff that is not capable of keeping up with a huge order volume.

It's possible your order just took some extra time to get packed and shipped, and there could be a lot of reasons for that (staff workload, product availability, and where you were in the order que are some of the obvious ones).

MisterEd

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:18 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:47 pm
MisterEd wrote:
Anything's possible. The only thing we can be fairly certain of is that a lot of people people are buying these things, and most of the Raspberry Pi specialty resellers are small companies with a small staff that is not capable of keeping up with a huge order volume.

It's possible your order just took some extra time to get packed and shipped, and there could be a lot of reasons for that (staff workload, product availability, and where you were in the order que are some of the obvious ones).
All I know for sure is it just left Vancouver an hour ago. I will have it in my hands by 10:30 am tomorrow morning. Then the fun begins :D

HawaiianPi

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:49 am

My July 18 order from Pimoroni in the UK arrived in San Francisco this afternoon. USPS will be taking it from there...

HankB

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:59 am

I'm one of the lucky ones in the US that has a Microcenter within striking distance. I missed their first shipment but the 4GB models were listed in stock Friday and I was there Saturday morning when they opened to get one. :D. I also picked up a 3B+ for $25US. And the power supply and the voice kit for $3US. It was a fun morning.

p26grinz

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:00 pm

I ordered from Newark on June 24th, RPi4b, wall wart, case, HDMI cable.
Checked this morning and have a combined ship date in late August.

Poor service by someone - I'm not sure who is to blame.
Thanks, morris

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:41 pm

p26grinz wrote:

Thanks, morris
Having an order pending shipping from them, I can make a pretty good guess what the problem is. To wit...one or more of the items is out of stock and they're waiting to get them back in before shipping anything. I'd be inclined to bet it's the case.

My most recent order from them (2 PSUs and one of each Pi4 case) got an order confirmation on 23 June. The notes on the confirmation indicate the cases should/should have ship(ped) on 19 July. No indication of movement yet.

MisterEd

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:03 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:41 pm
p26grinz wrote:

Thanks, morris
Having an order pending shipping from them, I can make a pretty good guess what the problem is. To wit...one or more of the items is out of stock and they're waiting to get them back in before shipping anything. I'd be inclined to bet it's the case.

My most recent order from them (2 PSUs and one of each Pi4 case) got an order confirmation on 23 June. The notes on the confirmation indicate the cases should/should have ship(ped) on 19 July. No indication of movement yet.
For a lot of companies shipped only means a shipping label was created. For me the actual shipment does not start until the shipper picks up the package. That might be up to three days after the label was created.

HawaiianPi

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:11 pm

p26grinz wrote:
Newark is to blame. As I said previously, they are just pulling "Expected" ship dates out of their rear ends. They have no clue when Pi4 orders will actually ship. My June 24 order got pushed back repeatedly (July 5, 10, 12, 16, 22 are the dates I can recall at the moment). And I only ordered the Pi4 4GB board (no accessories).

Got tired of waiting while seeing them in stock elsewhere, so I cancelled and ordered from Pimoroni on July 18th, and that order has passed through US customs and is now in the hands of the US postal service on its way to me.

So let's analyze. My original June 24 order from Newark had an original "Expected ship date" of July 5, which is 11 days from date of order. My order from Pimoroni in the UK has already shipped and passed through US customs in only 6 days (and that's ignoring the fact the Newark pushed my "Expected" ship date back FOUR times).

I've ordered from Newark in the past and had good luck, but there is something seriously wrong with the way they are handling Pi4 orders!

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:32 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:11 pm
p26grinz wrote:
Newark is to blame. As I said previously, they are just pulling "Expected" ship dates out of their rear ends. They have no clue when Pi4 orders will actually ship. My June 24 order got pushed back repeatedly (July 5, 10, 12, 16, 22 are the dates I can recall at the moment). And I only ordered the Pi4 4GB board (no accessories).

Got tired of waiting while seeing them in stock elsewhere, so I cancelled and ordered from Pimoroni on July 18th, and that order has passed through US customs and is now in the hands of the US postal service on its way to me.

So let's analyze. My original June 24 order from Newark had an original "Expected ship date" of July 5, which is 11 days from date of order. My order from Pimoroni in the UK has already shipped and passed through US customs in only 6 days (and that's ignoring the fact the Newark pushed my "Expected" ship date back FOUR times).

I've ordered from Newark in the past and had good luck, but there is something seriously wrong with the way they are handling Pi4 orders!
I've seen that behavior in the past, so it's not just a Pi4B effect. What I think is happening is that the ordering site is set to expect new shipments after a certain interval (and that can probably be set on an item basis and may have a "default" value as well). If new shipments aren't received at the expected time, the system automatically (or manually) picks a new date.

The intrinsic problem is, I think, that Newark/Element14 and other US located suppliers are at the far end of a pretty long supply line. Thus, a new shipment takes longer from factory to warehouse than it does for the UK-based suppliers. Hence your experience.

I have a Pi4B2 on order from OKdo, which is nominally a US supplier, but actually ships from the UK. While it took them several days--even after I received a "your order has been shipped notice"--for a package to actually start moving, I'm now watching the actual transit time. For instance, tracking showed the package at "ISC NYC" on 23 July, and in a Queens, NY distribution center 28 hours later. (For those unfamiliar with those two cities, Queens is actually *part* of New York City...so it took the package 28 hours to move perhaps as much as 10 miles, and quite possibly a lot less.)

About all one can do is to only order items that are listed as "in stock" (and hope that's accurate) or contact the vendor to ask when they will actually get the item in and not take "well...maybe...by X date" as a valid answer.

HawaiianPi

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:53 pm

I got my 2GB from PiShop.us (they seem to have that model in stock more often than not, and at this moment they also have the 1GB). I ordered it on 4th of July and it shipped the following day (July 5), which is pretty awesome, considering the holiday. It arrived on the 10th, which was one day later than expected, but that was on USPS (unexplained delay in delivery).

So, 6 days from order to delivery, with a holiday and weekend in the mix. Not too shabby, especially for "standard" shipping. 8-)

scruss

Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:57 pm

I'm told that Digikey have a bunch available, just at a price premium:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... D/10258781

I may be scooting by a Micro Center in the coming weeks: I'll see what they have. My experience of the Brentwood (MO) MC is that their stock control is, um, interesting.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

HawaiianPi

Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:51 pm

Got my 4GB with Fan Shim and official PSU from Pimoroni today. Ordered on July 18 with standard shipping. So, 8 days from order to receipt, which is not bad from the UK to USA.

It was packed in a padded envelope with no additional protection, which is not good. The boxes for the PSU and Fan Shim were fine, and the Pi4 box was only slightly dented, but a 2x20 pin header I had ordered for my Pi0W was in 2 pieces. Not a huge deal since it probably won't be noticeable once it's soldered in place, but still annoying. Flashed a 16GB card with Buster Desktop and all went well.

More testing will have to wait because I've got a doc appt and then Mushu and Poppy are coming to stay with us for a while.

mwrich4

Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:07 pm

Just received a Pi 4, 4GB from Canakit.com. I ordered it via Amazon on Prime Day.

They still show having them in stock as of yesterday.

rarecoil

Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:17 am

gtechn wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:51 am
Hello,

I have a few updates for everyone on this thread.

element14: Some people (including myself) noticed the date slipping from July 5, to 8, to 10, to 12, to 16... So, I talked to element14, and they said that they actually are getting a shipment in SEPTEMBER. The system is just automatically shifting the date and will keep moving the date until that shipment arrives.
There are some very strange dealings going on with Newark/Element14. I've had some really weird interactions with them, and I have not had them with CanaKit or OKdo, both of whom have been awesome from the customer service front.

I was really interested in getting 3 Pi 4 4GB computers when they were released to build a PicoCluster given their increased performance. I ordered three from Newark/Element14 on their release day. I was told I would have them shipped from their first batch in late June. This didn't happen, and with absolutely no contact, my order status got pushed to 7/16. Eventually last week I reached out to customer service and was told in a one-line message from Newark customer service that I would receive them in early October.

Their own reviews have been filled with 1-star reviews for the 4GB item with others that have been mad about this ship date. They are all mysteriously deleted from the website.

This has not been my experience with other vendors. CanaKit ships great and on time. I eventually placed an order with OKdo to replace the failed Newark order and they shipped on-time immediately with the stock they stated that they have. I am not sure what is going on at Newark, but I am skeptical that they should be considered a "preferred vendor" if they're lying about stock that they have, or giving larger orders preferential treatment for a hobbyist board.

ejolson

Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:48 pm

rarecoil wrote:
Their own reviews have been filled with 1-star reviews for the 4GB item with others that have been mad about this ship date. They are all mysteriously deleted from the website.
While visiting my parents I used the Micro Center website to reserve a Pi 4B (the 2GB model) for pickup in the store. When I arrived it was right there at the counter with my name on it. I also purchased an official power supply and one of the $3 store-branded 16GB micro SD cards. Everything is working great--even the SD card.

trejan

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:02 pm

rarecoil wrote:
If the review isn't actually about the item itself and just complaining about shipping delays then it isn't surprising it got removed.
rarecoil wrote:
I am not sure what is going on at Newark, but I am skeptical that they should be considered a "preferred vendor" if they're lying about stock that they have, or giving larger orders preferential treatment for a hobbyist board.
Newark is Farnell who are one of the main manufacturers for RPi boards. Good luck removing preferred vendor status from them.

pfletch101

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:18 pm

trejan wrote:
Newark is Farnell who are one of the main manufacturers for RPi boards. Good luck removing preferred vendor status from them.
If they are manufacturing them, you would think that they might have a better idea of when they would have them in stock! I cancelled my order (from June 29) a week or so ago, after I was given a "possibly in September" shipping date, and ordered a 4B-4 from Canakit, which arrived four days later.

pagenotfound

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:27 pm

trejan wrote:
rarecoil wrote:
If the review isn't actually about the item itself and just complaining about shipping delays then it isn't surprising it got removed.
rarecoil wrote:
I am not sure what is going on at Newark, but I am skeptical that they should be considered a "preferred vendor" if they're lying about stock that they have, or giving larger orders preferential treatment for a hobbyist board.
@RPF, if that's true then maybe it's a mistake to put any partner company in a position where they can get away with everything. Keep manufacturing and distribution separate.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:37 pm

pagenotfound wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:27 pm
@RPF, if that's true then maybe it's a mistake to put any partner company in a position where they can get away with everything. Keep manufacturing and distribution separate.
You may wish to read up on how the Pi got to the point of selling 5 million boards per year. The first 10K were paid for by the folks that started the foundation. One of them--Dr. Upton, I think--went so far as to take out a mortgage on his home to help pay for the initial order. What it comes down to is that the RPF (and, later, the RPT) don't have deep enough pockets to fund enough manufacturing capacity to have anywhere within several orders of magnitude of demand. Listening carefully to the recently posted Q&A blog post, it appears that the pre-release production of the Pi4B boards was about 150K. Think about the amount of capital that sort of order takes when you can't sell them until launch day (and, therefore, get paid back what you spent to do it).

What it comes down to is that it requires a big company with lots of money to make this work. One of the privileges of being in that position is that your own retail arms will be near the front of the queue to get product to sell. Welcome to a market economy.

Return to “General discussion”