Simon001

Help/advice needed with a seti@home project/ldea

Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:21 am

Hi all.
I'm very new to the Rasberry Pi computing and find myself in a little deep.
I have been doing seti@home work since 2014 and find it interesting, on my laptop.
I want to set up a 5 pi cluster with a wired mouse, keboard and display. The only non wired connection I will have is my USB Internet connection
I have no problem with the physical assembly of everything and have been researching all the parts needed
I have been reading quite a few posts and YouTube videos but I get stuck with all the abbreviations.
Is there a good step by step guide that covers all this or am I running before I can walk?
Thank
Simon

B.Goode

Re: Help/advice needed with a seti@home project/ldea

Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:29 am

For setting up a Raspberry Pi based 'cluster' there is guidance available from Raspberry Pi themselves. https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... -an-octapi

(Seems to use wireless connections, but can probably be adapted easily?)

If you have difficulty with the terminology there, perhaps volunteer helpers here might be able to assist if you refer to a specific problem.

However... do SETI@HOME have an implementation and support for their tools that is known to run on Raspberry Pi hardware? If so, is it amenable to being modified to run in a clustered environment?

rpdom

Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:30 am

Sorry I can't help you with that, but it's cool that you are working on a seti@home project. I used to run seti@home on several custom built PCs under Linux back in 2003. I had quite a high rank in the UK Seti participants at the time. (and a massive electricity bill for the PCs plus aircon to keep the room temp under 40°C).

The Seti code has all changed since I used to run it. I had some software that downloaded the data chunks to a local cache and issued then to my local machines when they were ready. The results were also cached locally and sent back to Seti when internet was available. You didn't need an actual "cluster" for that.

Please keep us updated of your progress. It was an interesting project when I was doing it and I'm sure it still is.

uncraftablecreeper

Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:33 am

if you are setting up a cluster use octapi and don't be fooled by the name this comes from the official guide
NOTE: You don’t actually need eight servers, as the cluster will work with any number of servers up to limits determined by the performance of your WiFi router. If you don’t have enough Raspberry Pis available to make an OctaPi, why not make a HexaPi (6) or a TetraPi (4)?

https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... -an-octapi
THE PI IS A LIE :D

markkuk

Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:42 am

B.Goode wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:29 am
However... do SETI@HOME have an implementation and support for their tools that is known to run on Raspberry Pi hardware?
It's provided by the Raspbian distro:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt install boinc boinc-app-seti
I don't think it has any cluster support beyond using a single BOINC Manager to control clients running on multiple machines.

Return to “Beginners”