hippy

Re: When are people in the U.S. getting their Pi 4s?

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:10 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:44 pm
4GB is probably overkill, but it will allow for expected growth.
That's how I believe most people think.

1GB is possibly not enough, 2GB is probably enough, but I might one day need 4GB. Is the extra $10 worth it to have 4GB in case I might find that beneficial in future ?

That extra 2GB might never get used but it's insurance against wishing one had got that on day one.

And we are all familiar with software growing and needing more of everything as time goes by. 2GB might do me for now, but what when there's a 64-bit Raspbian, a 64-bit Chromium or Firefox, Scratch 4 ? Will I want to be doing something I never thought I would be doing ?

I don't know and there isn't an answer; 'play safe' and get the largest there is against the risk of having not done that. If only the Pi Store sold crystal balls.

There are always a mix of purchasers driven by different desires and constraints, those who want biggest and best, some even wondering if they should get 4GB now or hold out in the hope of 8GB, those who want it for what they do now, those looking at a longer term investment, optimists and pessimists, and those limited by what they can afford.

I can understand why it was predicted the 2GB was going to be the most popular, but I can also see why 4GB is turning out more popular than expected.

Maybe more market research would have made it clearer which would be most popular but it doesn't seem a particularly difficult problem to resolve - Just build more of what's wanted in the next batch.

IrishBrewer

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:29 pm

jamesh wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:27 am
We are making the 4GB as fast as we can, but demand is outstripping supply, so you might have to wait a bit. Just keep checking the reseller links on the front page of the website.
The best (maybe only) way to catch up with demand for the 4GB versions is to come out with a 6GB version. ;)

pagenotfound

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:32 pm

gtechn wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:51 am
Hello,

I have a few updates for everyone on this thread.

element14: Some people (including myself) noticed the date slipping from July 5, to 8, to 10, to 12, to 16... So, I talked to element14, and they said that they actually are getting a shipment in SEPTEMBER. The system is just automatically shifting the date and will keep moving the date until that shipment arrives.

[snip]
The moral equivalent of lying.

I also found an official redistributor who its more transparent. They have a page (in German, scroll to the bottom of the page) that even gets updated where they list their current orders. As of July 16th it says:

Pi4 1GB
ordered (by them): 1800
expected deliveries none confirmed

Pi4 2GB
ordered (by them): 1350
expected deliveries 450 End of July

Pi4 4GB
ordered (by them): 12550 [sic!]
expected deliveries 150 End of July

I think that says a lot about the current situation.
Last edited by pagenotfound on Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:36 pm

travisfarmer wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:12 am
so, i am excited that my Rpi4B4 is coming tomorrow. :D
the problem is, i don't have any available monitors... i kind of forgot that need when placing the order. :lol:
In a word, scrounge. Any monitor--or TV--that has either HDMI or DVI input will do (you just need the correct cable and possibly adapter). If you don't have a spare around--and note that it doesn't have to any particular resolution, let alone a wide aspect ratio--ask friends and family if any of them have one about that isn't in current use. If there is a "freecycle" program in your area, try that. Once those possibilities are exhausted, check you local thrift/second-hand shops (many of which--at least where I live--are run by churches and have no idea what electronics items are actually worth). With luck, you'll find the one in your area that seems to get all the monitors.

Many of the ones I have are 17" or 19" with a resolution of 1280x1024, and they work just great with Pis. The "prize" ones are a Samsung 204 (20", 1600x1200) and a couple of 24", 1920x1200. The only thing I look for is DVI or HDMI input. Other than that, if it works and the price is right, it's mine, if I have a use for it (even as a spare).

travisfarmer

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:47 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:36 pm
travisfarmer wrote:
so, i am excited that my Rpi4B4 is coming tomorrow. :D
the problem is, i don't have any available monitors... i kind of forgot that need when placing the order. :lol:
In a word, scrounge. Any monitor--or TV--that has either HDMI or DVI input will do (you just need the correct cable and possibly adapter). If you don't have a spare around--and note that it doesn't have to any particular resolution, let alone a wide aspect ratio--ask friends and family if any of them have one about that isn't in current use. If there is a "freecycle" program in your area, try that. Once those possibilities are exhausted, check you local thrift/second-hand shops (many of which--at least where I live--are run by churches and have no idea what electronics items are actually worth). With luck, you'll find the one in your area that seems to get all the monitors.

Many of the ones I have are 17" or 19" with a resolution of 1280x1024, and they work just great with Pis. The "prize" ones are a Samsung 204 (20", 1600x1200) and a couple of 24", 1920x1200. The only thing I look for is DVI or HDMI input. Other than that, if it works and the price is right, it's mine, if I have a use for it (even as a spare).
Hmm, now that you mention it, we have a pair of 32" TVs with HDMI... a bit large for my desk... but yes, i see your point.
maybe i could find an alternative location to set up, and use the TVs for now, while i source out something more proper.

currently, my Rpis plug into a spare port on my server KVM switch, via an HDMI to VGA adapter, though that setup only has a little 12" screen, in which the color is a bit off. (don't need much color for a server CLI)

~Travis
Most of my electronics/programming experience is in Arduino, but i am learning Rpi to broaden my projects capabilities.

jbeale

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:51 pm

travisfarmer wrote:
Any Pi will run fine without a monitor. Assuming you have some other computer system, you can use a remote desktop setup to view what the Pi would show on its own screen, but remotely on another computer: for example http://www.circuitbasics.com/access-ras ... onnection/

The online tutorials for this assume a Raspberry Pi 3. I have not tried this myself and I don't know what may have changed with the Pi4, it may need different steps.
Last edited by jbeale on Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:52 pm

hippy wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:10 pm
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:44 pm
4GB is probably overkill, but it will allow for expected growth.
That's how I believe most people think.

1GB is possibly not enough, 2GB is probably enough, but I might one day need 4GB. Is the extra $10 worth it to have 4GB in case I might find that beneficial in future ?

That extra 2GB might never get used but it's insurance against wishing one had got that on day one.
Well... The use I'm going to put the 4GB Pi4Bs (there will be 2 to provide for a replicated database) are going to replace SBCs that have 1GB and dual Cortex-A7 CPUs (Allwinner A20). The reason I haven't replaced them yet is because the boards have a SATA II connector. Since I may re-write the front end to use a web interface, the Pis may--eventually--be running a web server as well as the other functions. Hence my intent to use 4GB Pi4Bs.
There are always a mix of purchasers driven by different desires and constraints, those who want biggest and best, some even wondering if they should get 4GB now or hold out in the hope of 8GB, those who want it for what they do now, those looking at a longer term investment, optimists and pessimists, and those limited by what they can afford.
I would look at waiting for 8GB as cutting off ones nose to spite ones face. If the only Pi4B was the 1GB model, I'd use that, as it is almost certainly adequate to anything I'm actually going to do, at least over the next couple of years.
I can understand why it was predicted the 2GB was going to be the most popular, but I can also see why 4GB is turning out more popular than expected.
I have one 2GB board on order. It is...somewhere in transit. I anticipate getting at least 2 or 3 more. If I upgrade the "front desk" (where the volunteers enter new members into the Reg system) to Pi4Bs, I would probably use the 1GB model. That job was originally handled by Model B Pis (some with 256MB RAM) and is now Pi2Bv1.1 boards. So I have two upgrade paths to consider...either Pi2Bv1.2 or Pi4B1.
Maybe more market research would have made it clearer which would be most popular but it doesn't seem a particularly difficult problem to resolve - Just build more of what's wanted in the next batch.
The problem, as I see it, is: Popular with who? Right now, it's very likely that most of the uptake is to people who are already using Pis and some of whom are bumping into the limits of the Pis they have. That population of users is going to have higher requirements that your average new user. As time goes on, the true demand for each model will emerge, but it is--I think--too early to tell what the real mix needs to be for the long term.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:55 pm

travisfarmer wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:47 pm
Hmm, now that you mention it, we have a pair of 32" TVs with HDMI... a bit large for my desk... but yes, i see your point.
maybe i could find an alternative location to set up, and use the TVs for now, while i source out something more proper.
Perfectly viable solution.
currently, my Rpis plug into a spare port on my server KVM switch, via an HDMI to VGA adapter, though that setup only has a little 12" screen, in which the color is a bit off. (don't need much color for a server CLI)
I have a 4-port HDMI KVM feeding an 8-port VGA KVM and then to my 27" monitor. There are, typically, anywhere from 2 to 4 SBCs connector to the small KVM at any give time.

travisfarmer

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:57 pm

jbeale wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:51 pm
travisfarmer wrote:
Any Pi will run fine without a monitor. Assuming you have some other computer system, you can use a remote desktop setup to view what the Pi would show on its own screen, but remotely on another computer: for example http://www.circuitbasics.com/access-ras ... onnection/

The online tutorials for this assume a Raspberry Pi 3. I have not tried this myself and I don't know what may have changed with the Pi4, it may need different steps.
that's what i am doing right now on my Openplotter Rpi that i am working on. the resolution isn't great, but it does work.

~Travis
Most of my electronics/programming experience is in Arduino, but i am learning Rpi to broaden my projects capabilities.

Jaredthebob

Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:49 pm

MisterEd wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:19 pm
drllama wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:02 pm
I'm waiting on an order from CanaKit which includes the starter kit as well.

From an email exchange I had with them on Monday, it sounds like they're currently waiting on the cases for the kits.

Cheers,
Bruce.
I guess that explains it. The Starter Kit comes with a "Premium Black Case" while the Complete Starter Kit comes with an "Official Case". Please post if your order is shipped on Friday July 19th as indicated for all regular Starter Kits.
Hi there my Canakit regular Raspberry Pi 4 4GB Starter Kit - 32GB Storage has been shipped on the 19th. I live in the states and I should be expecting it in the next 6 - 10 business days. Glad I ordered this when I did!

MisterEd

Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:58 am

Jaredthebob wrote:
MisterEd wrote:
drllama wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:02 pm
I'm waiting on an order from CanaKit which includes the starter kit as well.

From an email exchange I had with them on Monday, it sounds like they're currently waiting on the cases for the kits.

Cheers,
Bruce.
I guess that explains it. The Starter Kit comes with a "Premium Black Case" while the Complete Starter Kit comes with an "Official Case". Please post if your order is shipped on Friday July 19th as indicated for all regular Starter Kits.
Hi there my Canakit regular Raspberry Pi 4 4GB Starter Kit - 32GB Storage has been shipped on the 19th. I live in the states and I should be expecting it in the next 6 - 10 business days. Glad I ordered this when I did!
When did you order yours? I ordered mine on June 24th and have heard nothing yet.

kennyc

Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:23 am

I got mine yesterday....same day delivery from Amazon -- Canakit

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TX ... prod_image

:)
Kenny A. Chaffin
Blog: http://mansionsofthemind.blogspot.com/
Art: https://www.deviantart.com/kennyc
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

ninjapi

Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:33 am

In stock at OKDO

https://www.okdo.com/shop/raspberry-pi/ ... dr4-sdram/

Premium shipping to US in 2-3 business days...

Jaredthebob

Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:58 pm

MisterEd wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:58 am
Jaredthebob wrote:
MisterEd wrote:

When did you order yours? I ordered mine on June 24th and have heard nothing yet.
I ordered mine July 15th. Sorry to hear yours hasn't shipped yet.

bat0nas

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:28 am

EU:

Ordered mine few moments ago from https://shop.pimoroni.com/
According to their web page - they have all variants in stock (including EU plug).

Let's see if they will ship as advertised.

webbsmurfen

Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:29 pm

No wonder 4Gb variant is so popular. From a desktop computer in mind, one of the bottlenecks in Raspberry pi has been small amount of memory, and thats what have been the difference between an "good product" to a "very interesting and very good product" With 4Gb memory, USB-3 and a Gigabit Ethernet. there are very few things this little computer couldn't do. Now pandoras box is opened and to compare, the amount of memory is just what you had in a laptop a couple of years ago. With 4Gb ram there are no actually limit to what operating systems you could run on a raspberry pi, you just need someone to port the whole shebang to ARM platform.

.. You just have a complete computer for everyday use for lesser than $75, and additionally lot of support, for free . That if something would be a miracle itself

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:51 pm

webbsmurfen wrote:
No wonder 4Gb variant is so popular. From a desktop computer in mind, one of the bottlenecks in Raspberry pi has been small amount of memory...
It is more than a little disconcerting to see 1GB be referred to as a "small amount of memory". I suppose there are a lot of younger Pi users that would be even more disconcerted if faced with a machine whose memory was measured in KB, though.

Andyroo

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:59 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
webbsmurfen wrote:
No wonder 4Gb variant is so popular. From a desktop computer in mind, one of the bottlenecks in Raspberry pi has been small amount of memory...
It is more than a little disconcerting to see 1GB be referred to as a "small amount of memory". I suppose there are a lot of younger Pi users that would be even more disconcerted if faced with a machine whose memory was measured in KB, though.
I would pay to see that look :mrgreen: - the first 'home computer' I used (not mine as I did not know why I would need one at home) was the Science of Cambridge MK 14 with 256 bytes :roll:

My first job was to write a LED display routine (inc counting a pulse signal per second and conversion by division) on a 6800 chip (hand assembly) in under 200 bytes - did it with about 20 to spare :shock:

webbsmurfen

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:01 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
webbsmurfen wrote:
What i ment was that the more memory you have the more things you can do. I never meant to be condescending.

HawaiianPi

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:25 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Ah yes, the good ol' days of 8-bit home computers with 16KB of system RAM. I remember spending several hundred dollars upgrading an Atari 800 to 48KB, and that was huge back then.

Kids these days...

(Just kidding!)

The 1GB models are pretty lean for desktop use. I've often said that you can use a 3B(+) as a desktop computer, but I wouldn't want to, and the limited RAM is one of the main reasons why. While the 4B has a much faster SoC, the 1GB model has the same limitations. For "desktop" use you'll want at least a 2GB model (which, fortunately, are the easiest to get).

I think my first hard drive only had 20MB of storage, and you wouldn't believe what that cost. :shock:
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

DavidS

Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:29 pm

The 1GB models are pretty lean for desktop use. I've often said that you can use a 3B(+) as a desktop computer, but I wouldn't want to, and the limited RAM is one of the main reasons why. While the 4B has a much faster SoC, the 1GB model has the same limitations. For "desktop" use you'll want at least a 2GB model (which, fortunately, are the easiest to get).
Interesting point of view. I would say that 1GB is prety lean for use with super memory wasters, not for a desktop system.

Still running a RPi 3B+ so far, still have more than 760MB of free unused RAM, and that is with a 64MB RAMDisk taking up well 64MB of the RAM. That is my current desktop system, when it has the most RAM being used that it ever sees used.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

jr3us

Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:31 pm

I received my 2GB and 4GB rpi's last week on thursday. I am just using a regular charger with 6 ports(an Anker) that can put out 2.1 Amps per port. I am not doing any hard drives on the usb so I don't need the extra amperage. I put a meter on the supply, and It is only pulling about .6 amps under load by itself.

I have only seen one problem with the RPi4 and that is that I had to add 3 lines to config.txt to make them like 2 of my Televisions(One of them a Philips, the other no name of some sort) . Interesting that I took the same buster image that I was using on the RPI4, and booted a 3B+, and it saw the video just fine.

Otherwise, I am happy with them!

as far as smallest hard drive, I bought an 8088 clone (with turbo mode!) AND a 10MB drive for $1000 in 1986!

Regards!

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:46 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:59 pm
W. H. Heydt wrote:
webbsmurfen wrote:
I would pay to see that look :mrgreen: - the first 'home computer' I used (not mine as I did not know why I would need one at home) was the Science of Cambridge MK 14 with 256 bytes :roll:

My first job was to write a LED display routine (inc counting a pulse signal per second and conversion by division) on a 6800 chip (hand assembly) in under 200 bytes - did it with about 20 to spare :shock:
On my first job as a programmer, our mainframe (S/360-30) had 32KB of memory. It was *the* computer used to run everything for company turning about $200M per year. It really hurt when a new release of DOS (the IBM one, not the MS one...that was years in the future) increased the system nucleus--think "kernel"--fr 6KB to 8KB. We spent 2 or 3 weeks checking and recompiling programs to remove double-buffering on files so they would still fit in memory.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:48 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:25 pm
I think my first hard drive only had 20MB of storage, and you wouldn't believe what that cost. :shock:
You might be surprised. One of the research chemists at a company I worked in that era got permission to add an HDD to his PC. He was given a budget of $1000. He was ecstatic when he found a company that was bringing out a new line of HDDs with discounted introductory prices. He was able to get a 15MB drive for $985.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:54 pm

jr3us wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:31 pm
I received my 2GB and 4GB rpi's last week on thursday. I am just using a regular charger with 6 ports(an Anker) that can put out 2.1 Amps per port. I am not doing any hard drives on the usb so I don't need the extra amperage. I put a meter on the supply, and It is only pulling about .6 amps under load by itself.

I have only seen one problem with the RPi4 and that is that I had to add 3 lines to config.txt to make them like 2 of my Televisions(One of them a Philips, the other no name of some sort) . Interesting that I took the same buster image that I was using on the RPI4, and booted a 3B+, and it saw the video just fine.

Otherwise, I am happy with them!

as far as smallest hard drive, I bought an 8088 clone (with turbo mode!) AND a 10MB drive for $1000 in 1986!

Regards!
I've been watching the tracking (such as it is) of an order of a couple HDMI cables and a Pi4B2 from OKdo. The order was acknowledged on 11 July. I got a shipping notice dated 12 July. The shipment was "created" on 15 July. The most recent ("Hub scan - out") was on 19 July, at about 5:30 AM. Since then, no updates. I think they put it on a sailing vessel to get it across the ocean...and didn't even use a clipper.

Return to “General discussion”