aczizza

GPS LAN TRACKING

Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:34 pm

hello all,

i was wondering if anyone knew of a program that could allow the pi to track gps devices(lets say your phone or even other RPI,s with gps hats/usb devices) but here's the catch, it can only work on a LAN meaning no internet, the use case i have calls for a location completely devoid of internet but instead has a large area of wifi coverage(router but no modem or t1 line or any wireless provider)

I have tried TRACCAR and it worked for while but once i implemented it into its desired environment it just refused to work and even now getting it to work without internet a second time is proving next to impossible.

if there is no way to implement this currently i was considering making a solution from scratch however i barely know where to begin except for my needs

.functionality with out internet
.can track multiple devices
.shows a map

also if anyone is wondering how i have so much coverage its because i have a big antenna 15dbi

drgeoff

Re: GPS LAN TRACKING

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:49 am

A high gain antenna achieves that by being more directional. Not the same thing as increasing coverage area.

aczizza

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:29 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:49 am
A high gain antenna achieves that by being more directional. Not the same thing as increasing coverage area.
i have the coverage i need i simply need to track people and objects within the coverage area

BespokeTech

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:23 pm

So, are the devices you want to track the location of all the same? or are you trying to track multiple types of devices?

Obviously what ever device is being tracked is going to need software to send it's location co-ordinates back to the server/pi.

aczizza

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:13 am

Thank you for the responses

Right now I'm using cellphones and the TRACCAR server. It works okay for orienting devices in close proximity but without internet there's no map, just a white screen with dots representing user cellphones.

I'm very open to the usage of other devices instead, and other programs. I'd like the ecosystem to be pi centric due to the low power demand. But if its not possible then I'll find another way.

Another option I have is to just stretch for an lte hotspot and find a way to get a sat map on the TRACCAR server. But due to cost I'd like to avoid that if possible.

BespokeTech

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:57 am

aczizza wrote:

Right now I'm using cellphones and the TRACCAR server. It works okay for orienting devices in close proximity but without internet there's no map, just a white screen with dots representing user cellphones.

I'm very open to the usage of other devices instead, and other programs. I'd like the ecosystem to be pi centric due to the low power demand. But if its not possible then I'll find another way.

Another option I have is to just stretch for an lte hotspot and find a way to get a sat map on the TRACCAR server. But due to cost I'd like to avoid that if possible.
Can you not configure the TRACCAR server to cache the maps offline? I have never used it before but a very quick google search points that it should be possible https://www.traccar.org/forums/topic/of ... map-cache/

Loosely speaking here... but I personally would be fitting a Pi with a GPS hat then using a simple bit of scripting have it relay its GPS co-ordinates back to a server on the LAN via WiFi. Server side would just be a case of taking the coordinates and plotting them onto a map. In all it shouldn't be too tricky to accomplish.

aczizza

Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:12 am

BespokeTech wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:57 am
aczizza wrote:

Can you not configure the TRACCAR server to cache the maps offline? I have never used it before but a very quick google search points that it should be possible https://www.traccar.org/forums/topic/of ... map-cache/

Loosely speaking here... but I personally would be fitting a Pi with a GPS hat then using a simple bit of scripting have it relay its GPS co-ordinates back to a server on the LAN via WiFi. Server side would just be a case of taking the coordinates and plotting them onto a map. In all it shouldn't be too tricky to accomplish.
Thanks for the very helpful response

I'll look into finding a way to cache offline maps with TRACCAR and check on the link you provided

Also I would love to fit GPS hats to PIs, like you said I just need to figure out how to relay the coordinates. But using that system would definitely be easier especially when I'm tracking equipment.

Unfortunately I'm out of the country right now but I'll be back end of August so I'll give an update on progress then. But if anyone has any more suggestions please post.

aczizza

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:49 pm

okay so from the looks of it ill have to create my own tile server(can have its own benefits) either to be hosted on the same pi(recent upgrade to pi 4 4gb) or host the server on another pi on the same network. this will take some time so i will update when i can, thank you all for your support, and if anybody has any tips please post

aczizza

Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:53 pm

from every test ive done its as if no tile server will work on raspbian buster. if anyone knows any tile servers that work on buster please post.

Return to “Beginners”