Splatez07

Is it possible to connect a domain to a raspberry pi without exposing my PI address?

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:55 pm

I am thinking about starting a server with my raspberry pi four! People in the public will be able to access this server and I don’t want my IP address to be exposed as I don’t want my address leaked or my network to be DDoSed. Is there an easy way to hide my IP address or not? Will I need to buy a dedicated IP (if you even can)? Is this even possible? If needed, I’m running a minecraft server on the latest (to the 9th of April 2019)!

Thanks,
Joseph

c4n1

Re: Is it possible to connect a domain to a raspberry pi without exposing my PI address?

Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:52 am

If you want to run a public server the you need to give out the IP that server sits behind. You can use DNS to connect but all that does is resolve a friendly name to an IP. You will also need to use with a static IP or a Dynamic DNS service so that the IP doesn't change. Along with all this you will need to setup port forwards from the External IP to the local IP of the Pi, making sure to only expose the services you want to and not the ones you don't.

drgeoff

Re: Is it possible to connect a domain to a raspberry pi without exposing my PI address?

Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:56 pm

Aardappeltaart wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:14 pm
You can run Tor on a pi.

https://2019.www.torproject.org/docs/to ... ce.html.en
@Aardappeltaart
Please explain how that has any relevance to the OP's question.

tpyo kingg

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:05 pm

drgeoff wrote:
It's the only way to keep the address unknown. If the service can run over TCP then it can be run as an Onion service. It's not that hard to set up but might be a barrier for casual visitors or players. Apparently that game can use either TCP or UDP, or both, for remote players.

drgeoff

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:54 pm

tpyo kingg wrote:
drgeoff wrote:
It's the only way to keep the address unknown. If the service can run over TCP then it can be run as an Onion service. It's not that hard to set up but might be a barrier for casual visitors or players. Apparently that game can use either TCP or UDP, or both, for remote players.
OK I've had a look at https://2019.www.torproject.org/docs/on ... es.html.en. The OP can decide for himself/herself if that will meet the objective.

Aardappeltaart

Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:40 am

drgeoff wrote:
Aardappeltaart wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:14 pm
You can run Tor on a pi.

https://2019.www.torproject.org/docs/to ... ce.html.en
@Aardappeltaart
Quoting info from the link
Tor allows clients and relays to offer onion services. That is, you can offer a web server, SSH server, etc., without revealing your IP address to its users. In fact, because you don't use any public address, you can run an onion service from behind your firewall.
Isn't that exactly what OP wants?

Zanstel

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:58 am

tpyo kingg wrote:
Well. Some VPN could offer a very similar configuration.

Return to “Advanced users”