Disthron

Can't get Composite video working

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:48 pm

Hi everyone,

So I just got my Pi, probably about a month ago now and I've been trying to get it to output composite video from the beginning. I want to use it as the brain of a home arcade machine and I want to use a CRT for the display.

Eventually, I found this article (link below) which had a pretty good description of what seemed to be happening. "After about 7s you may see a brief white flicker or flash on the screen. That is the Pi considering using the composite output and choosing not to. If you see this, the problem is probably in your config.txt"
The trouble is, I have no idea what the issue in config.txt could be. I've tried forcing PAL output by uncommenting the STDF output to 2. What happens when I boot up the Pi is a flash of white static for a second or two and then nothing. Does anyone have any ideas?

https://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting ... s_no_image

klricks

Re: Can't get Composite video working

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:20 am

Which RPi?
What OS Stretch or Buster?
Have you verified that you are using a correctly wired cable?
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Disthron

Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:24 am

Hi, thanks for the quick response.

I'm using the Raspberry Pi 3 B+
I installed the latest version of the RetroPie (4.5). Which has an issue with the composite output. I tried downgrading to the previous version of the kernel and that seemed to complete but did not fix the issue.

Any idea how I might go about doing that? The only place I've found that seems to talk about the wiring differences seems to be troubleshooting forums. I haven't been able to find a seller that has any information on how the thing is wired up. Do you happen to know of a place that sells stock that is known to work?

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:14 am

Disthron wrote:
Hi, thanks for the quick response.

I installed the latest version of the RetroPie (4.5). Which has an issue with the composite output. I tried downgrading to the previous version of the kernel and that seemed to complete but did not fix the issue.

Any idea how I might go about doing that? The only place I've found that seems to talk about the wiring differences seems to be troubleshooting forums. I haven't been able to find a seller that has any information on how the thing is wired up. Do you happen to know of a place that sells stock that is known to work?

https://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2014/ ... ideo-jack/

https://thepihut.com/products/av-compos ... 3-x-rca-3m
Retired disgracefully.....

hippy

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:44 pm

Disthron wrote:
I would try downloading the latest version of Raspbian Stretch and getting composite to work with that to prove the hardware does work and confirm what the config.txt settings should be.

Or download Raspbian Buster. That has an issue with 'no composite output' which I don't believe has been fixed in the latest download yet. Though can be fixed using rpi-update.

Using NOOBS there is an option for switching between video modes, HDMI, composite, NTSC and PAL, which is quite useful. PINN may have the same.

Disthron

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:21 am

Thanks to everyone who responded. I was afraid I had the wrong cord but wanted to exauset any softwere posibilities before I started to try rewiring cords or buying new ones.

I'll try installing Raspbian and report back.

klricks

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:22 am

Disthron wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:21 am
Thanks to everyone who responded. I was afraid I had the wrong cord but wanted to exauset any softwere posibilities before I started to try rewiring cords or buying new ones.

I'll try installing Raspbian and report back.
If you have one of the common camcorder cables (Sony, Panasonic etc) then you need to connect the RED of the cable to YELLOW of the TV.

If you have the cable with ground in the wrong ring then I wouldn't bother trying to rewire it. Get a new cable.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

klricks

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:32 am

hippy wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:44 pm

Or download Raspbian Buster. That has an issue with 'no composite output' which I don't believe has been fixed in the latest download yet. Though can be fixed using rpi-update.
The composite bug has been fixed in the latest upgrade.

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

Disthron

Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:01 am

Hey everyone, thanks for all your help. I was in an office supply store today and just by happenstance, they had a cord that said it was for 'Digital camera or video camcorder' I asked the guy at the counter if I could return it if it didn't work and he said it was fine, so I took achance. Low and behold, it finally worked.

After mucking around with the software I was pretty sure it was the cord but this confirms it. I actually tried all the plugs in the video slot (yellow) and of cours red was the last. But now it's working a treat and I'm on my way to my own home arcade! I already have a really nice CRT for it, and the place where I bought the Raspberry Pi had an arcade button kit pre-bundled so I just have to source the cabinat from somewhere.

Thanks again everyone.

Return to “Troubleshooting”