pi4master

Pi 4 - video is slow

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:04 am

Hi!

I bought Pi 4 to watch dvb-t2 and youtube/websites videos.
While it's ok to watch them in a small window (smooth), by resizing them to fullscreen (1920x1080) they are quite slow. It's visible how moving by lips is delayed after sound and it's very distracting. It's like the video would be 10 fps or like so. Sometimes I can see how a frame is drawn from top to bottom.
I'm quite disappointed since everywhere they wrote it has 4k hevc support, but in reality it's not possible to play even FullHD Youtube video smoothly.

Well it might be a sw issue or wrong configuration, therefore I'm asking if you don't have an idea what I can tweak to obtain the smooth FullHD video. For the time being I changed memory split - assigned 256 MB memory to gpu.

I'm running:

Raspbian Buster with desktop
Version: June 2019
Release date: 2019-06-20
Kernel version: 4.19

on Rpi 4 4GB RAM.

I use preinstalled Chromium to watch Youtube and web videos and installed Kaffeine to watch dvb-t2 channels.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Pi 4 - video is slow

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:22 am

There's a known issue with playback in Chromium that is almost fixed.

For HEVC, the best playback is using libreElec .
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

brimur

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:31 pm

I may be wrong here but dont Youtube videos use VP9? That is not HEVC and while a lot of devices support HEVC decoding in hardware they do not support VP9 so that has to be handled by the CPU

pi4master

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:20 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:22 am
There's a known issue with playback in Chromium that is almost fixed.

For HEVC, the best playback is using libreElec .
Is it already known when it's going to be released?

jamesh

Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:12 pm

The Chromium fix is done - if you are happy using beta software, rpi-update will get what you need. You will need to edit the chromium-browser file to remove the bit that forces the GPU off. There's instructions in another thread somewhere, search will find it.

Or just wait a bit longer for it to get in to the apt system which will be much easier.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

thatchunkylad198966

Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:38 pm

jamesh wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:12 pm
The Chromium fix is done - if you are happy using beta software, rpi-update will get what you need. You will need to edit the chromium-browser file to remove the bit that forces the GPU off. There's instructions in another thread somewhere, search will find it.

Or just wait a bit longer for it to get in to the apt system which will be much easier.
Got a link dude? I can't seem to find it with search; what do I edit? disable gpu blacklist?
One man's trash is another man's treasure! :) Pi's I have; Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi 2 x2, Pi 3 x2, Pi 4 4GB x2.

thatchunkylad198966

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:18 pm

Still not working after doing that and I'm running beta firmware.
One man's trash is another man's treasure! :) Pi's I have; Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi 2 x2, Pi 3 x2, Pi 4 4GB x2.

thrustpork

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:30 pm

Put chrome://gpu in the url bar and make sure hardware acceleration is going. If not you didn’t comment out the disable gpu portion correctly.

thatchunkylad198966

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:39 pm

Got it working!
For anyone else; you don't edit /etc/chromium-browser you have to edit; /usr/bin/chromium-browser.
Thanks to shift on IRC.

thatchunkylad198966

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:11 pm

Any ETA when we'll get the fix via apt update?????

jamesh

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:23 pm

thatchunkylad198966 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:11 pm
Any ETA when we'll get the fix via apt update?????
I think the guys were discussing it today, so I suspect not too long.

KookyFlower

Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:17 am

i am having a similar issue. all video, from all sources is unwatchable, it's not just slow and choppy. i get big block artifacts, like when a dvd is covered in dust. and i know the files are good, i copied the files from my computer to the sd ofthe raspberry pi 4. put the sd in the pi 4, tried to play a video, failed. i then placed the sd in my computer, and played the file from the sd card, and it looks just fine. on youtube, the video is just slow and choppy, but you can see the frames correctly. i've tried with different file types and codecs, and all have failed to play correctly. i've also tried all the solutions i'ev found. disable compositor, disable unused video outputs. disable all video outputs and play in vnc, increase the video ram ( i gave it 512MB at most) edit chrome config file for youtube. reinstalled raspbian, tried to play the file from an smb server.

any solution would be really appreciated.

thank you very much!

bjtheone

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:53 pm

What OS are you running on the Pi 4 and what are you using as a monitor? I know it is working in an up to date Raspbian Buster install, displaying on a 1080p monitor. By "it" I mean playing video from YouTube and other video sites full screen using Chromium, and playing movies using Kodi or directly using vlc.

I have played movies off USB 3.0 thumb drive and streamed from the net.

LTolledo

Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:06 pm

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B - 4GB
Raspbian Buster with Full Desktop
16GB class 10 microSD card
Kodi 18.4
GPU mem set to 196MB

1080p 5.1ch video slow? I dont think so... just watched one of my favorite concerts.....plays smooth...

there is probably something wrong with your setup

nah I dont use VLC, it crashed on me big time..... so I trashed it.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

KookyFlower

Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:00 pm

hello, i am using raspbian buster with recommended software, i have not modified anything besides the changes to files that are proposed as solutions. adn also, video was unwatchable from the fresh unmodified install as well. i am using a computer monitor with 1366x768 resolution, and a 1080p monitor when connecting using vnc.

thank you!

mtrtm

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:06 am

I'd be interested, too. Using the latest Noobs streaming anything (youtube etc) in Chromium on my Pi 4 with 4 Gb RAM is not really possible. It lags/stutters a lot.

I tried quite a few customizations from a few different sites and forums but nothing seems to work. I was hoping that a platform bragging about support for two 4k monitors could stream a 1080p video. My 8 year old laptop can with 40 other tabs open, and the specs are very similar.

Return to “Troubleshooting”