User avatar
exartemarte
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:51 pm
Location: Middle England
Contact: Website

LibreOffice Cursor in Buster

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:40 pm

I'm trying out a Pi4 4 as a second desktop, and so far I'm quite impressed. In LibreOffice Writer, however, no text cursor is visible, which is inconvenient to say the least. If anyone knows how/where to fix this I'd be most grateful.

(The Pi is running Raspbian Buster 2019-06-20. I'm typing this in the Raspberry Pi Forum app where the cursor is normal, so it doesn't seem to be any sort of system-wide problem. It's also normal in the text editor.)

Afternote: By changing the background colour in LibreOffice I've discovered that the cursor is there but is white. So what I need is to find out how to change the colour of the cursor.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 24192
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: LibreOffice Cursor in Buster

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:19 pm

This is fixed and in the latest apt update/upgrade.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

User avatar
exartemarte
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:51 pm
Location: Middle England
Contact: Website

Re: LibreOffice Cursor in Buster

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:32 pm

Thank you, Jamesh. Unfortunately that hasn't worked for me; when I update/upgrade this is what I get:

Code: Select all

pi@desktoppi:~ $ sudo apt-get update
Hit:1 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster InRelease
Hit:2 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian buster InRelease
Reading package lists... Done
pi@desktoppi:~ $ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libboost-system1.62.0 libboost-thread1.62.0
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages have been kept back:
  libreoffice-pi nodered
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
pi@desktoppi:~ $ 
The LibreOffice Cursor is still not visible.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 24192
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: LibreOffice Cursor in Buster

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:34 pm

exartemarte wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:32 pm
Thank you, Jamesh. Unfortunately that hasn't worked for me; when I update/upgrade this is what I get:

Code: Select all

pi@desktoppi:~ $ sudo apt-get update
Hit:1 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster InRelease
Hit:2 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian buster InRelease
Reading package lists... Done
pi@desktoppi:~ $ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libboost-system1.62.0 libboost-thread1.62.0
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages have been kept back:
  libreoffice-pi nodered
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
pi@desktoppi:~ $ 
The LibreOffice Cursor is still not visible.
Hmm. Odd. I'll flag this up to the guy who fixed it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 15614
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: LibreOffice Cursor in Buster

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:35 pm

Try sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
The fact you got

Code: Select all

The following packages have been kept back:
  libreoffice-pi nodered
suggests that there are additional packages that need installing and a straight "upgrade" will not do that.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 24192
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: LibreOffice Cursor in Buster

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:36 pm

rpdom wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:35 pm
Try sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
The fact you got

Code: Select all

The following packages have been kept back:
  libreoffice-pi nodered
suggests that there are additional packages that need installing and a straight "upgrade" will not do that.
What he said, as confirmed by the bloke who knows (not me).
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

User avatar
exartemarte
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:51 pm
Location: Middle England
Contact: Website

Re: LibreOffice Cursor in Buster

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:52 pm

That works. Thank you, rpdom and Jamesh. (And the bloke who knows . . .)

petracus
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: LibreOffice Cursor in Buster

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:35 pm

Hello,

Same issue here, the cursor is not visible with update/upgrade (distro too).

Any suggestion?

Thx.

pcmanbob
Posts: 7308
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: LibreOffice Cursor in Buster

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:01 pm

petracus wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:35 pm
Hello,

Same issue here, the cursor is not visible with update/upgrade (distro too).

Any suggestion?

Thx.
Did you try

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

petracus
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: LibreOffice Cursor in Buster

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:29 pm

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt upgrade
Leyendo lista de paquetes... Hecho
Creando árbol de dependencias       
Leyendo la información de estado... Hecho
Calculando la actualización... Hecho
0 actualizados, 0 nuevos se instalarán, 0 para eliminar y 0 no actualizados.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt full-upgrade
Leyendo lista de paquetes... Hecho
Creando árbol de dependencias       
Leyendo la información de estado... Hecho
Calculando la actualización... Hecho
0 actualizados, 0 nuevos se instalarán, 0 para eliminar y 0 no actualizados.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ 

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt update
Obj:1 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster InRelease
Obj:2 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian buster InRelease
Leyendo lista de paquetes... Hecho
Creando árbol de dependencias       
Leyendo la información de estado... Hecho
Todos los paquetes están actualizados.

No luck.

DirkS
Posts: 10018
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: LibreOffice Cursor in Buster

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:31 pm

petracus wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:29 pm

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt upgrade
No luck.
The first command is not

Code: Select all

sudo apt upgrade
but

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
Try again...

pcmanbob
Posts: 7308
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: LibreOffice Cursor in Buster

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:34 pm

It should not be any different but try

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

petracus
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: LibreOffice Cursor in Buster

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:42 pm

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get update
Obj:1 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian buster InRelease
Obj:2 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster InRelease
Leyendo lista de paquetes... Hecho
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Leyendo lista de paquetes... Hecho
Creando árbol de dependencias       
Leyendo la información de estado... Hecho
Calculando la actualización... Hecho
0 actualizados, 0 nuevos se instalarán, 0 para eliminar y 0 no actualizados.
Same. The cursor is ok in other apps, like Chromium, but dissapears (seems is white) in Libreoffice.

pcmanbob
Posts: 7308
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: LibreOffice Cursor in Buster

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:54 pm

Have you rebooted the since updating ?
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

petracus
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: LibreOffice Cursor in Buster

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:00 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:54 pm
Have you rebooted the since updating ?
Reboot now. Same result.

pcmanbob
Posts: 7308
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: LibreOffice Cursor in Buster

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:06 pm

Then I am at a loss as to why it works for others but not for you , my be Jamesh or the bloke who knows will have some ideas tomorrow.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

petracus
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: LibreOffice Cursor in Buster

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:11 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:06 pm
Then I am at a loss as to why it works for others but not for you , my be Jamesh or the bloke who knows will have some ideas tomorrow.
Thank you anyway.

petracus
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: LibreOffice Cursor in Buster

Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:11 am

Hi, solve the problem with:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libreoffice-pi nodered
Leyendo lista de paquetes... Hecho
Creando árbol de dependencias       
Leyendo la información de estado... Hecho
nodered ya está en su versión más reciente (0.20.6-1).
Se instalarán los siguientes paquetes adicionales:
  gstreamer1.0-gtk3 libreoffice-gtk3
Paquetes sugeridos:
  libreofficekit-data
Se instalarán los siguientes paquetes NUEVOS:
  gstreamer1.0-gtk3 libreoffice-gtk3 libreoffice-pi
0 actualizados, 3 nuevos se instalarán, 0 para eliminar y 0 no actualizados.
Se necesita descargar 1.492 kB de archivos.
Se utilizarán 2.248 kB de espacio de disco adicional después de esta operación.
¿Desea continuar? [S/n] s
I think is possible that when I installed spanish language gui these packets were broken ?¿

Regards.

Return to “Troubleshooting”