hardwaremack-orginal

Brand new to Raspberry Pi because of the PI4B?

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:54 pm

I personally have been aware of the Raspberry Pi from the beginning. Not only that, I was following OLPC from concept to delivery!

A $25 / $35 dollar computer in the hands of children that are not only hungry and thirsty literally but mentally as well!
This tool can transport these children from otherwise hopeless to success!

+ Cost
+ GUI / OS
+ Software lib

I decided to actually buy into raspberry pi with the release of the
(Zero W)
+ price of only $5 dollars
+ availability at my favorite computer store (Microcenter) I can literally go and Purchase these things... and that is awesome!
When the Zero W was $5, The 3B+ was $25.
And with that it was time for me to buy.

Countless projects later, here i am with the PI4B on my desk.

Every since the release of the PI4B, I'v been spending hours hanging out in the DIY section over at microcenter.
I would like to say i have talked to countless people that are just now moving on the PI4B!

The #1 reason (I have herd) is the 2gb and 4gb ram.
#2 reason is 4K
#3 USB 3.0
#4 PCIE USB and Ethernet Full Gigabit.

I think the majority of the folks have already directly or indirectly known of Raspberry Pi.

I'm a sucker as i have purchased the Raspberry Pi Official USB C power supply, Keyboard and Micro HDMI Cable :-)
Sometimes I consider money spent, in how many ZERO W's could have been purchased with that same amount of money.

I realized my PI4B 1gig was defective. Constant Crashing...I took it back , and the Official PI4B case, as the case is simply unusable... constant throttling. Ended up purchasing the 2GB version and this one is working flawlessly.
I would have purchased the 4gb version, and the rumor is they only ever had (7) 4gb computers to sell. I guess they were all sold out with
in about 14 minutes. Currently they have 10+ 2gb versions in-stock as of yesterday and today, and 10+ 1gb versions as well.

hardwaremack-orginal

Re: Brand new to Raspberry Pi because of the PI4B?

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:09 pm

desk.jpg
desk.jpg (130.13 KiB) Viewed 891 times

hardwaremack-orginal

Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:45 pm

are any of you pi diehards irritated with the influx of new PI4B owners? 4gig model is the new hot commodity!!! Some people are getting $150 plus one ebay for the 4gig version!

Andyroo

Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:43 pm

hardwaremack-orginal wrote:
are any of you pi diehards irritated with the influx of new PI4B owners?
(Read in head with fake Dracular accent) New blood is always velcome :twisted:

Note that old here but:
Anything that increases people knowledge of computing and gets a person into electronics is good - <start rant> just wish people would search the forums first and learn how to copy examples - oh and understand the Pi is not a PC and plug and play has a totally different meaning :lol:
<end rant>

edited to waffle more :D

gordon77

Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:49 pm

No :)

rpdom

Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:53 pm

are any of you pi diehards irritated with the influx of new PI4B owners? 4gig model is the new hot commodity!!! Some people are getting $150 plus one ebay for the 4gig version!
We're used to it. Every time a new Pi is released we get new people asking (mostly) the same questions.

It happens.

It's good that the Pi is so popular and the coverage is expanding.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:14 pm

Only thing that annoys me is people who seem unable to use Google or any sort of search to check to see if the answer to their question is already available somewhere.

Oh, and those that think because their Pi might not work right, that we need to withdraw it from the market immediately because its rubbish, despite having sold hundreds of thousands that work fine.

Forgot one - those that immediately after the launch of a product ask why it doesn't have this or that feature (not too common this time because basically it has everything). Or that slam our designers as incompetent because their pet feature that only they want is missing.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

HawaiianPi

Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:59 pm

Agree with jamesh.

I enjoy helping people who are having trouble and want to learn, but the whiners that rant and complain are irritating.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Greg Erskine

Someone should delete the OP's avatar!

EDIT: The Engineer avatar has been changed. :shock:
Last edited by Greg Erskine on Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
* Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation

Andyroo

Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:22 pm

Greg Erskine wrote:
Think it’s changed...

hardwaremack-orginal

Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:33 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:22 pm
Greg Erskine wrote:
Think it’s changed...
:-)

LTolledo

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:21 pm

In your image posted, the only missing ingredient is "spaghetti sauce".... :mrgreen:
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

HawaiianPi

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:40 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
... but the whiners that rant and complain are irritating.
After making that post I remembered a computer shop I used to work at a long time ago that built custom systems and sold components. We were very willing to help inexperienced builders, and even offered some free services, like free mounting and testing for a new CPU, RAM and motherboard (and we'd even update it to the latest BIOS). Most customers appreciated that, but there were some... They were always the ones who refused our help, because they supposedly knew what they were doing, and then went ballistic when something didn't go right.

The official shop policy was that if you refused our free service, then came back with a problem that would have been avoided, you would be charged normal shop rates for the ensuing service. The unofficial truth was that if you came in and asked for help nicely, we would wave the shop fee. It was basically an a-hole fine.

You would not believe some of the stories I could tell you (the worst I've seen here pale in comparison). Those were some good times. We could smile and politely tell the customer they had a jumper or dip switch set wrong, and then charge them for being jerks.

I know it's upsetting when something doesn't work as expected, but you get better service when you ask nicely and treat the people trying to help you with respect. Especially when you consider that here on the forums, no one gets paid for the help they provide (we all are volunteer helpers).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

jbeale

Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:57 am

4gig model is the new hot commodity!!! Some people are getting $150 plus one ebay for the 4gig version!
Anything "buzzy" and also in short supply gets run up in price, but that sounds like evidence the Pi folks have done something right!
I have a bunch of Pi boards plus a few Intel-based MiniPC units. For such a MiniPC at 4 GB, 2 USB-3 and dual display, you expect to pay well over $100. In that case you can chose Windows or some kind of Linux but either way the software is what it is; the hardware does not have the level of continued support and large community the RPi brings to the table.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:10 am

That kind of thing has been going on with every new Pi release. If money is no object, then let people gouge. The ones gouged will probably eventually learn from their mistake...but it may take a while. (I just got my first Pi4B4 in today, having ordered it early last week. Pimoroni charged me 45GBP plus shipping and handling, which is just about right.)

--Hal

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:16 am

jamesh wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:14 pm
Forgot one - those that immediately after the launch of a product ask why it doesn't have this or that feature (not too common this time because basically it has everything). Or that slam our designers as incompetent because their pet feature that only they want is missing.
You guys have done such a slick job on the Pi4B that it's not easy to think of anything that could be usefully added, especially if one constrains it to being feasible with regards to cost and board space. I've no idea what can be done to make a Pi5B in a few years, though I'd bet that Dr. Upton has some things up his sleeve...and they'll probably surprise--and please--us.

Gavinmc42

Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:25 am

[quote hardwaremack-orginal wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:45 am

Only thing that annoys me is people who seem unable to use Google or any sort of search to check to see if the answer to their question is already available somewhere.

Oh, and those that think because their Pi might not work right, that we need to withdraw it from the market immediately because its rubbish, despite having sold hundreds of thousands that work fine.

Forgot one - those that immediately after the launch of a product ask why it doesn't have this or that feature (not too common this time because basically it has everything). Or that slam our designers as incompetent because their pet feature that only they want is missing.][/quote]

Ah, the good old days when we could finds lots of things to complain about.
Now I can hardly think of anything wrong with the Pi4.
Well hardware wise. The software and documentation needs more work ;)

Jamesh - a FAQ for the Pi4 would help with those dumb noobies questions.
Google will find it pretty soon for them.
It seems the 4 has attracted a new audience of low number posters.
Perhaps jumping across from other SBC's usage and expecting ?????
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

jamesh

Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:26 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:25 am
[quote hardwaremack-orginal wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:45 am

Forgot one - those that immediately after the launch of a product ask why it doesn't have this or that feature (not too common this time because basically it has everything). Or that slam our designers as incompetent because their pet feature that only they want is missing.]
Ah, the good old days when we could finds lots of things to complain about.
Now I can hardly think of anything wrong with the Pi4.
Well hardware wise. The software and documentation needs more work ;)

Jamesh - a FAQ for the Pi4 would help with those dumb noobies questions.
Google will find it pretty soon for them.
It seems the 4 has attracted a new audience of low number posters.
Perhaps jumping across from other SBC's usage and expecting ?????
[/quote]

What wrong with the current FAQ? Most still applies.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Gavinmc42

Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:59 am

What wrong with the current FAQ? Most still applies.
Sorry, did not know there was one :oops:
Ah, there it is, down the bottom of the page.
Perhaps move that FAQ to the top line between Products and Blog?

I guess I am also guilty of going into fan boy mode when noobies say "It does not do what I need therefore it is crap and should never be released".
I do wish they would explain their needs, there is more than one way to skin cats with Pi's.
Raspbian does not do everything, it gets close ;)

How many of these Pi noobies actually got hold of a Pi4 and then complained?
About 100k or so got sold first day and there have been about a dozen whingers?
How many whingers decided it was crap and did not bother to buy?

I still think lots of PI noobies whipped out their credit cards faster than I did.
We only hear from the noisy minority, while the silent majority are having fun with the Pi4?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Return to “General discussion”