bokeheme

Kodi is broken on raspbian buster

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:39 pm

Hi everyone. So, I recently installed fresh new OS on my new setup. New setup that is the same (now old) Pi 3 but just changed hdd and added ssd. After installing new os which is buster, and trying to watch something trough kodi, I was a bit surprised. Kodi doesnt work normally anymore. Basically, it starts as x window application, and doesnt have any hardware acceleration. Whole UI is terribly slow, pretty much unusable, videos get maybe like 0.5-1fps, and now, when I connect via VNC i can see kodi, just like with direct capture enabled, but it is disabled. On previous setup, with stretch, I was able to turn on kodi, which would render output on hdmi, and with VNC control everything in background (yeah, just like dual monitor setup). Now everything is broken.
I have no idea how to fix it, and making this topic just to iform people if they are using kodi, to not update to buster, and to discuss if someone comes up with a fix.

Also, what I did found out is that now VLC playbacks videos just fine, so thats cool. But my guess is that vlc broke kodi (dependecies?). Tried uninstalling vlc completely, then kodi, then installing kodi again - no luck.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Kodi is broken on raspbian buster

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:49 pm

bokeheme wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:39 pm
Hi everyone. So, I recently installed fresh new OS on my new setup. New setup that is the same (now old) Pi 3 but just changed hdd and added ssd. After installing new os which is buster, and trying to watch something trough kodi, I was a bit surprised. Kodi doesnt work normally anymore. Basically, it starts as x window application, and doesnt have any hardware acceleration. Whole UI is terribly slow, pretty much unusable, videos get maybe like 0.5-1fps, and now, when I connect via VNC i can see kodi, just like with direct capture enabled, but it is disabled. On previous setup, with stretch, I was able to turn on kodi, which would render output on hdmi, and with VNC control everything in background (yeah, just like dual monitor setup). Now everything is broken.
I have no idea how to fix it, and making this topic just to iform people if they are using kodi, to not update to buster, and to discuss if someone comes up with a fix.

Also, what I did found out is that now VLC playbacks videos just fine, so thats cool. But my guess is that vlc broke kodi (dependecies?). Tried uninstalling vlc completely, then kodi, then installing kodi again - no luck.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=244030

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 1#p1488386

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 7#p1484537
Retired disgracefully.....

bokeheme

Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:26 pm

LibreELEC is sadly not an option for me.
Also, I mentioned that I have pi3, not 4. Previously it was working fine.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:57 pm

bokeheme wrote:

Then go back to Raspbian Stretch ;)

bokeheme

Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:19 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
bokeheme wrote:

Yeah, I guess that's the only solution. Really liked the new desktop though...

andrum99

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:20 pm

Yup. I upgraded a Pi 1 with 512MB memory to Buster and discovered Kodi doesn't work, so that will be getting put back on Stretch for now. Not really a problem as I don't use that Pi very much - it got Buster first so I could test if everything still worked before I moved the more important Pi's only the new OS. So my other Pi's will be staying with Stretch for now as well. (Except my shiny new Pi 4, which is awesome :D )

bokeheme

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:04 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
bokeheme wrote:

Went back to raspbian stretch and guess what :)
Never would have thought that raspbian (Raspberry foundation) can f*** up so much. Did a `apt upgrade` (Not a full-upgrade or dist-upgrade!!!) and guess what. Wifi, bluetooth and sound doesn't work. Everything is messed up after rpi4 and buster release. Really frustrated :evil:

andrum99

Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:18 pm

bokeheme wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:04 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
bokeheme wrote:

Went back to raspbian stretch and guess what :)
Never would have thought that raspbian (Raspberry foundation) can f*** up so much. Did a `apt upgrade` (Not a full-upgrade or dist-upgrade!!!) and guess what. Wifi, bluetooth and sound doesn't work. Everything is messed up after rpi4 and buster release. Really frustrated :evil:
There isn't an easy way to go from Buster back to Stretch - you just have to reinstall from scratch using the latest Stretch image.

Rascas

Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:22 pm

About Kodi on Raspbian Buster, the current Kodi version available is the Debian one and it is 17.6. It is a generic ARM version, not optimized for the Pi, that is why it is so slow on the Pi 3 and below. It looks like it works not so bad on the Pi 4, but without HW video decoding also.
We have to see how to do things for Buster, because the intention for the Pi 4 is to use the opensource video drivers, and since the opensource drivers have worse performance in Kodi on the older PI versions, probably we will have to do another separate build, this time for the Pi 4. I am not even sure if a version like Stretch, that is, compiled for the Broadcom legacy driver, will work on the Pi 4. But again, that is not desirable because the future is to use only the opensource drivers. I will check that out when I get my Pi 4.

HiassofT

Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:41 pm

Kodi 18 isn't quite there yet with support for the new (v4l2) video drivers, this will be tackled in Kodi 19 (maybe stuff can be backported to Kodi 18, but it's way too early to tell). Also there's no HEVC v4l2 decoder at the moment (only an ffmpeg userspace implementation, which works quite fine though), this will also be added later.

As the old bcm2835 GLES libs don't work with the RPi4, we chose to do a bit hacky half-way switch to the new gbm platform (using vc4-fkms and Mesa GLES drivers) for now in LibreELEC: we hacked up the gbm kodi platform to use the RPi MMAL decoder and renderer instead of v4l2 decoders and GL or drmprime renderers.

I implemented a first proof-of-concept version of that a couple of months ago and then Dom (popcornmix) made that working.

The kodi tree with all the patches (including the ffmpeg RPi4 HEVC patch) is available in his leia_pi4 branch: https://github.com/popcornmix/xbmc/tree/leia_pi4

I haven't tried myself yet but I think it should be rather easy to build this tree on Raspbian Buster as well.

so long,

Hias

Rascas

Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:55 pm

HiassofT wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:41 pm
Kodi 18 isn't quite there yet with support for the new (v4l2) video drivers, this will be tackled in Kodi 19 (maybe stuff can be backported to Kodi 18, but it's way too early to tell). Also there's no HEVC v4l2 decoder at the moment (only an ffmpeg userspace implementation, which works quite fine though), this will also be added later.

As the old bcm2835 GLES libs don't work with the RPi4, we chose to do a bit hacky half-way switch to the new gbm platform (using vc4-fkms and Mesa GLES drivers) for now in LibreELEC: we hacked up the gbm kodi platform to use the RPi MMAL decoder and renderer instead of v4l2 decoders and GL or drmprime renderers.

I implemented a first proof-of-concept version of that a couple of months ago and then Dom (popcornmix) made that working.

The kodi tree with all the patches (including the ffmpeg RPi4 HEVC patch) is available in his leia_pi4 branch: https://github.com/popcornmix/xbmc/tree/leia_pi4

I haven't tried myself yet but I think it should be rather easy to build this tree on Raspbian Buster as well.

so long,

Hias
Thanks for the info, I read about it in Kodi and LibreElec forums, and I already saw the new branch in popcornmix github.
One question: compiling this branch against the Mesa libs, will it work on the older Pies using the vc4-fkms ?

andrum99

Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:21 pm

Rascas wrote:
I am not even sure if a version like Stretch, that is, compiled for the Broadcom legacy driver, will work on the Pi 4.
Not if it tries to use the Broadcom legacy driver on the Pi 4. There is no legacy driver on the Pi 4, since the only graphics driver is the new one, i.e. the open source ARM-based one. There is no VPU-based driver for the Pi 4's graphics hardware.

So that means what is needed is either a build that can detect which Pi it is running on at runtime and select the correct driver, or two separate builds - one for Pi zero to 3, and one for Pi 4.

HiassofT

Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:27 pm

Rascas wrote:
Thanks for the info, I read about it in Kodi and LibreElec forums, and I already saw the new branch in popcornmix github.
One question: compiling this branch against the Mesa libs, will it work on the older Pies using the vc4-fkms ?
I haven't tested that myself yet - we kept older RPis builds as is, using the rpi platform and brcm libs.

I'd guess it could work, but may need some tweaks/changes - best to test it yourself and/or ask Dom, he should be able to tell you more as he's way more familiar with the RPi specific kodi stuff than I am.

Quite certainly you'll need to create two different packages (or at least binaries) for older RPis and RPi4 as the ffmpeg HEVC patches are different for older RPis (GPU accelerated decoding) and RPi4 (HW decoding).

so long,

Hias

Rascas

Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:35 pm

HiassofT wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:27 pm
Rascas wrote:
I haven't tested that myself yet - we kept older RPis builds as is, using the rpi platform and brcm libs.

I'd guess it could work, but may need some tweaks/changes - best to test it yourself and/or ask Dom, he should be able to tell you more as he's way more familiar with the RPi specific kodi stuff than I am.

Quite certainly you'll need to create two different packages (or at least binaries) for older RPis and RPi4 as the ffmpeg HEVC patches are different for older RPis (GPU accelerated decoding) and RPi4 (HW decoding).

so long,

Hias
Yeah, that is what I thought. I will ask Dom when I get my RPi 4 and start testing.
andrum99 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:21 pm
Rascas wrote:
I am not even sure if a version like Stretch, that is, compiled for the Broadcom legacy driver, will work on the Pi 4.
So that means what is needed is either a build that can detect which Pi it is running on at runtime and select the correct driver, or two separate builds - one for Pi zero to 3, and one for Pi 4.
Currently on Stretch, the package has already 2 different builds (binaries), one for armv6 (Pi 0/1) and another for armv7 (Pi 2/3), this one with the NEON optimizations. On lauching, it detects the Pi version and runs the appropriate binary. The armv7 binary does not work on the RPI 0/1. So, you can't do only one version for all the Pies till 3 unless you are willing to loose all the optimizations done for the Pi 2/3.
We will probably have to build 3 different binaries, if we want the best possible performance in all Pies.

andrum99

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:41 am

Is Kodi on Raspbian Buster being worked on? It's one of the things I need before I can switch my livingroom Pi from 3B+ to 4B.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:49 am

andrum99 wrote:
Is Kodi on Raspbian Buster being worked on? It's one of the things I need before I can switch my livingroom Pi from 3B+ to 4B.

Yes as Rascas stated above and in other posts linked in this Thread, patience is a virtue...

...though as stated LibreElec already functions AOK !

andrum99

Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:47 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:49 am
andrum99 wrote:

Yes as Rascas stated above and in other posts linked in this Thread, patience is a virtue...

...though as stated LibreElec already functions AOK !

Good stuff. Yes I have tested LibreElec and it works well. I have several things running on one Pi and I need Raspbian for that. At the moment I'm waiting for Kodi on Raspbian, boot from USB hard disk, and some sort of case that will take the Pi 4B with the sound card I have on top of it, without getting too hot. The tricky one is going to be the case. I would rather not use a fan as I would prefer to keep the noise to a minimum, and it also becomes a dust magnet.

I'm happy to wait, I just hadn't noticed the bit where someone said it was being worked on :D

kmleow

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:57 pm

I upgraded to Buster and then found that Kodi started performing extremely laggy and thought my SBC has failed. Thanks OP.

virii

Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:24 am

To install Kodi on Buster you'll need to uninstall the current version (if you have it installed) and use the pipplware repository for the time being.

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/d ... ain/binary /

wget -O - http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/key.asc | sudo apt-key add -

sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade

sudo apt install kodi

amilino

Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:28 pm

virii wrote:
To install Kodi on Buster you'll need to uninstall the current version (if you have it installed) and use the pipplware repository for the time being.

sudo apt install kodi
Is it RPi4 ready (optimized)?

virii

Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:27 pm

I'm not sure about RPI 4, I can only confirm that it works with the RPI 3 B+

gkreidl

Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:33 pm

Not for RPi 4 yet.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

belos

Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:20 am

Really works on 3B(B+)! I greatly appreciate it!
virii wrote:

sudo apt install kodi

DarkElvenAngel

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:52 am

virii wrote:

sudo apt install kodi
I gave this a go on my 3B+ but I'm having problems with it locking up on the settings screen I have to ssh in to send a kill signal. Seems to work well if I don't try to use NFS under root

r1ckdu

Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:19 pm

Trying to install kodi from the pipplware repository i get the following error:

Code: Select all

apt install kodi
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 kodi : Depends: kodi-bin (>= 2:18.3-2~buster) but 2:17.6+dfsg1-4+b1 is to be installed
        Depends: libshairplay0 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
The output of

apt policy kodi
however shows:

kodi:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2:18.3-2~buster
  Version table:
     2:18.3-2~buster 500
        500 http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/dists/buster/main/binary  Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2:18.3-1~buster 500
        500 http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/dists/buster/main/binary  Packages
     2:17.6+dfsg1-4+b1 500
        500 http://httpredir.debian.org/debian buster/main arm64 Packages
What now?

Return to “General discussion”