yldf

Linux distributions available

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:51 pm

I'm running several Pis, mostly 3B+, all headless, all via Ethernet, none of them ever saw a screen (if I really had no choice I'd do it, but I try to avoid it). So far, they all run Raspbian.

Now I have more and more often the issue that I want versions of software that are newer than in stretch (which isn't surprising since it's more than two years old), and I don't want to be starting building everything manually.
I tried installing ubuntu 18.04 server (there's a raspberry pi 3 AMD preinstalled image released by Canonical), which worked but it doesn't properly recognize the features of the CPU (/proc/cpuinfo looks very different from Raspbian). So this seems to be off.

Ubuntu Mate 18.04 (which there is a "beta 1" of... really? more than one year after release of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS?) seems not to be headlessly installable. Like I said, if I was convinced of it I'd attach a screen and keyboard, but I'm not, since I don't want something which is centered around a graphic environment which I'm not using (and hence uses more disk space) and has such an incredible delay till release, in a year or two I'd have the same issue I have with stretch now...

Is there any Linux flavour for Raspberry Pi that has a faster release cycle (or at least less delay)? Speaking in Debian terms, I'd happily go for sid, but I don't find repositories for it.

Rascas

Re: Linux distributions available

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:04 pm

Since it is to run headless, I would go for Debian testing, currently Buster. Another option would be Arch Linux, it does not have releases/versions, it is a rolling release, so the software is updated as new stable versions becomes available. Although it is a bit more complicated to use and maintain in my opinion and as less pre compiled software available.

rpdom

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:10 am

You could use Debian Sid armhf with a 3B+, but you'd still have to use some parts from the Raspberry Pi repository which has Stretch and Buster available.

Of course this is an unsupported setup and if you get any issues you will have to sort them out yourself. ;)

I'm running some packages from Sid on a Pi 3B+ because I had problems with the versions in Stretch and Buster, but other than that I try to stick to the current release wherever possible. I also take backups before upgrading /installing anything, in case of breakage.

graysky

Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:38 pm

Rascas wrote:
Another option would be Arch Linux.
To be clear, Arch Linux != Arch ARM. For the Pie you want Arch ARM.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:04 pm

graysky wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:38 pm
Rascas wrote:
Another option would be Arch Linux.
To be clear, Arch Linux != Arch ARM. For the Pie you want Arch ARM.

Arch Linux Arm https://archlinuxarm.org/
Retired disgracefully.....

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:41 am

yldf wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:51 pm
Now I have more and more often the issue that I want versions of software that are newer than in stretch (which isn't surprising since it's more than two years old), and I don't want to be starting building everything manually.
The latest release of Raspbian is Buster (as of 20 Jun 2019). You might give that a try.

Gavinmc42

Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:32 am

PiCore was pretty good, it is my preferred headless.
Now that the Pi4 is out it will be faster to compile kernels.
So things like Buildroot, Yocto etc means you can roll your own OS.
What is faster than making your own releases?

Is there a Arch 64bit for Pi4 yet?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:11 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:32 am
PiCore was pretty good, it is my preferred headless.
Now that the Pi4 is out it will be faster to compile kernels.
So things like Buildroot, Yocto etc means you can roll your own OS.
What is faster than making your own releases?

Is there a Arch 64bit for Pi4 yet?

Slackware ARM Linux

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 6&t=244159
Retired disgracefully.....

k-pi

Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:59 pm

Gentoo Linux has an unofficial 64bit system for the RPi, the one I'm evaluating is a full blown desktop distro, but I expect if you look, that you could find/get a light version, not sure how up to date they are, but it might be worth your while to take a look. 8-)

Return to “Advanced users”