Seadart

Folders in NOOBS - installing on SD card

Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:29 am

Hi - Instructions say do not put folders on the SD card when installing NOOBS. After expanding the zip I get some files in root and three folders. Am I supposed to take the files out of those folders too? Folders are: Defaults, OS and Overlays.

Thanks

fruitoftheloom

Re: Folders in NOOBS - installing on SD card

Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:35 am

Seadart wrote:
Hi - Instructions say do not put folders on the SD card when installing NOOBS. After expanding the zip I get some files in root and three folders. Am I supposed to take the files out of those folders too? Folders are: Defaults, OS and Overlays.

Thanks

Is the Raspberry Pi Foundation website lacking information ?

https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... tting-up/3
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

B.Goode

Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:02 pm

Seadart wrote:

Thanks

No. (Or maybe Yes. Depending on what you mean by "take the files out of those folders")

The logic of your question implies that you think the Raspberry Pi developers have deliberately hidden vital files in sub-folders to make life difficult for you in full knowledge that the first thing you need to do is remove the files from those folders?

That would be perverse. And although the Raspberry Pi developers are human and occasionally do inexplicable things, this isn't one of them.

The file and sub-folder structure you get from the unpacked zip archive is the structure you need on the target microSD card: that's why it is shipped that way in the first place.

Referring to the linked documentation - perhaps you would find it clearer if the line that says
Select all the files in the NOOBS folder and drag them into the SD card window to copy them to the card.
was modified to read something like:
Select all the files and sub-folders in the NOOBS folder and drag them into the SD card window to copy them to the card.
Last edited by B.Goode on Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klricks

Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:10 pm

Seadart wrote:

Thanks
There should be no question if following the instructions in the link above.
If you were following different instructions then you might have been confused when warned about selecting the contents of the NOOBs folder rather than selecting and copying the NOOBs folder itself.
If the user mistakenly moves the NOOBs folder to the SD card then of course the SD card (NOOBS) will not boot.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Seadart

Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:50 am

I rather expected to place the files as they came out of the Zip.
I was puzzled about the instruction that sometimes files might be in folders after extraction and should be removed.

procount

Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:39 pm

It depends on which zip tool you use and how you use it.
If you extract the files (and sub-folders) from the noobs.zip file, they can end up in a folder called noobs, or they can ed up in the same folder as the zip file itself, or they could be extracted to another location, like the SD card itself.

I believe the instructions are trying to guard against extracting all the contents of the zip file into a noobs folder, and then copying the noobs folder to the SD card. Instead you should extract all the contents (files and sub-folders) of the zip file directly to the SD card root, so that no additional folders are introduced.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

B.Goode

Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:41 pm

Seadart wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:50 am
I rather expected to place the files as they came out of the Zip.
I was puzzled about the instruction that sometimes files might be in folders after extraction and should be removed.

Your expectation is correct.

Can you provide a link to the instructions that puzzle you?

procount

Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:55 pm

I imagine the OP is referring to https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/bl ... E.md#setup as these are the only other instructions I am aware of.
I imagine pull requests to write this more clearly would be welcomed, but it seems clear to me.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Return to “Beginners”