tripletopper

Dreampiu failed once I updated form Dreampi 1.6 to 1.7

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:39 am

I bought a Dreampi with version 1.6. I did not analyze what was on my Dreampi SD card.

I have no idea how to flash a DreamPi image for a Raspberry Pi whose only purpose will be a broadband-to-dial-up converter for a real Sega Dreamcast. All I need it for is for the Dreamcast and a couple unix commands to add Sega Swirl Email and MAYBE an ethernet-based Wi Fi device.

Most of the instructions talk about using windows, and there is no definitive video for flashing the Image using a Macintosh.

I read things about a Raspbian something, and NOOBS. And I don’t understand their relationship with Dreampi is.

I tried using 2 different image makers, Etcher for OS X, and Apple-Pi Baker. In both cases I tried straight installing DreamPi, and neither worked neither with the Dreamcast nor with the Unix-based OS that comes on when you hook the card into the Pi, and the TV to the HDMI output.

Do I have to install either NOOBS or some other Raspbian in addition the Dreampi?

How do i install Dreampi so I can see some Unix commands when the Dreampi SD card plugged into a Raspberry Pi 1B. I want to make sure that works first before I test it with the Dreamcast.

Is a 4 GB SD card enough to run Dreampi 1.7 on a 1B/

fruitoftheloom

Re: Dreampiu failed once I updated form Dreampi 1.6 to 1.7

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:54 am

tripletopper wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:39 am
I bought a Dreampi with version 1.6. I did not analyze what was on my Dreampi SD card.

I have no idea how to flash a DreamPi image for a Raspberry Pi whose only purpose will be a broadband-to-dial-up converter for a real Sega Dreamcast. All I need it for is for the Dreamcast and a couple unix commands to add Sega Swirl Email and MAYBE an ethernet-based Wi Fi device.

Most of the instructions talk about using windows, and there is no definitive video for flashing the Image using a Macintosh.

I read things about a Raspbian something, and NOOBS. And I don’t understand their relationship with Dreampi is.

I tried using 2 different image makers, Etcher for OS X, and Apple-Pi Baker. In both cases I tried straight installing DreamPi, and neither worked neither with the Dreamcast nor with the Unix-based OS that comes on when you hook the card into the Pi, and the TV to the HDMI output.

Do I have to install either NOOBS or some other Raspbian in addition the Dreampi?

How do i install Dreampi so I can see some Unix commands when the Dreampi SD card plugged into a Raspberry Pi 1B. I want to make sure that works first before I test it with the Dreamcast.

Is a 4 GB SD card enough to run Dreampi 1.7 on a 1B/

Maybe best to ask the Software Developer ?

http://blog.kazade.co.uk/p/dreampi.html?m=1
Retired disgracefully.....

tripletopper

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:51 pm

My main concern is flashing the image correctly. Every time I flash the image, the modem doesn’t work, and the Pi does not have a Unix-style command line editing page.

No one on the dreamcast help sites are able to tell me how to flash the DreamPi file properly to get it working independent.

After I done the update, plugging the Pi in the USB port gives me a black screen of nothing.

These are issues concerning Raspbeery Pi. It seems the Dreamcast help pages assume you have a Pc and not a Macintosh.

Dreamcast help website are not specific enough about the directions of flashing the pi memory.

I understand the Raspberry Pi s very versatile. The only reason I’m in the Pi universe is to get a Dream I working. Ever since I updated nothing works as far as the Pi s concerned. And too many of the directions on the DreamPi help sites assume you are proficient enough in Pi. All I want is their proper flashing instructions on using a Macintosh to Flash a DreamPi properly so I can get the Unix-like OS from the HDMI output, and get the DreamPI to work with my Modem. I understand most of the Dreampi specific instructions, it’s just the Raspberry Pi instructions I don’t understand. And all I want it to do is work as a Dreampi.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:06 pm

tripletopper wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:51 pm
My main concern is flashing the image correctly. Every time I flash the image, the modem doesn’t work, and the Pi does not have a Unix-style command line editing page.

No one on the dreamcast help sites are able to tell me how to flash the DreamPi file properly to get it working independent.

After I done the update, plugging the Pi in the USB port gives me a black screen of nothing.

These are issues concerning Raspbeery Pi. It seems the Dreamcast help pages assume you have a Pc and not a Macintosh.

Dreamcast help website are not specific enough about the directions of flashing the pi memory.

I understand the Raspberry Pi s very versatile. The only reason I’m in the Pi universe is to get a Dream I working. Ever since I updated nothing works as far as the Pi s concerned. And too many of the directions on the DreamPi help sites assume you are proficient enough in Pi. All I want is their proper flashing instructions on using a Macintosh to Flash a DreamPi properly so I can get the Unix-like OS from the HDMI output, and get the DreamPI to work with my Modem. I understand most of the Dreampi specific instructions, it’s just the Raspberry Pi instructions I don’t understand. And all I want it to do is work as a Dreampi.

Etcher is the recommended software for creating a bootable SD Card, but the SD Card Reader needs to be SDHC compatible, alternatively try PiBaker:

https://www.tweaking4all.com/software/m ... -pi-baker/

tripletopper

Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:32 pm

I have both Etcher for Macintosh and Apple-Pi Baker. But I’m not sure if I’m following directions right or not to get a Bootable Pi image on there.

Do I use the .7z or do I use the .img ?

Do I have to format the SD card a specific way?

How do I tell if my SD card is an SDHC or not?

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:22 pm

tripletopper wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:32 pm
I have both Etcher for Macintosh and Apple-Pi Baker. But I’m not sure if I’m following directions right or not to get a Bootable Pi image on there.

Do I use the .7z or do I use the .img ?

Do I have to format the SD card a specific way?

How do I tell if my SD card is an SDHC or not?

Etcher does not require to unzip, it does everything for you..

...though PiBaker will require unzipping with 7zip to leave you a .IMG file.

I stated Card Reader should be SDHC not the SD Card, it is your hardware.

tripletopper

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:28 am

I Know SDHC is a higher "speed" format than a standard SD card. So If I have a Standard SD card, that can be the answer. I’ll go check once I get an answer to this?

And, would it say what type of SD card I have, like would it say SDHC or whatever veriosn of SD I have, and if if it says nothing other than SD, it’s standard SD? Are these other "speed versions" I heard of something called SDXC, there might be more. So i knwo my compatibilitty, what is considered SDHC and higher, and what is consideredlower than SDHC? Also I need full size right, not mini or micro for Pi, even though I could uae a Micro-to-full adapter or a mini-to-full adapter to stick one of those 2 in a Pi?

Finally waht’s the minimum size SD card needed to run Dreampi 1.71 on a RasperyyPi, and is a 1B considered a high enough Pi for Dreampi 1.71?

If a 1B can’t run dreamPi 1.71, what’s the highest version of Dreampi a 1B can run.

If I buy a dreamPi, is it as simple as buying a high enough pre-built Pi anywhere, buying the premade Voltage induced Dial Up modems somewhere in the DC2019 community, loading the software on my Macintosh, adding an Ethernet cable or ethernet bridge, and a standard telephone cord M-M and then inserting card and booting? If I need to do Sega Swirl Gmail, jsut have a USB keyboard to type commands.

One last question, is a Macintosh in Terminal mode related close enough to a Pi where where I can copy and paste the commands on the Macintosh with the DreamPi SDHC card while in Mac Terminal mode. I heard Terminal gets Mac in "UNIX MODE" and some if not all Raspberry Pi stuff uses Linux, which is a more user friendly and/or more powerful version of Unix. I know there are cross-GUI-to-Terminal copying and pasting of text. I prefer to use that if the hoops I have to jump through is easier than double checking to make sure my typings are exactly right.

One thing I know is one wrong letter can permanently ruin a file, and if you don’t know what you did, it’s just easier to start over. Thankfully DreamPi 1.71 s already downloaded as a 7g file.

Which reminds of something funny. When programming in AppleSoft Basic, enough times I accidentally typed "ruin" instead of "run". thankfully no one had a sick sense of humor to randomly change every letter in your program in memory wen given the "ruin" command. :)

rpdom

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:55 am

tripletopper wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:28 am
I Know SDHC is a higher "speed" format than a standard SD card. So If I have a Standard SD card, that can be the answer. I’ll go check once I get an answer to this?
Not quite. SDHC is a higher "capacity" format than a "standard" SD card. Almost any card over 2GB is SDHC (or higher - SDXC or SDUC - for the really big cards). The card reader needs to be SDHC or above to write to those cards correctly.

tripletopper

Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:06 am

Well I checked my card, and it’s a 4 GB SDHC. The only question is are all USB 2.0<-> SD card converters able to do SDHC (or even higher) or does it only do baseline SD? I know I don’t have a USB 3.0 one.

Would the internal card reader within a 21.5 inch late 2013 iMac have an SDHC or faster speed? If the upstairs Mac does,a dn the USB atachment doesn’t then maybe I got to try the upstairs Mac.

I always thoguth all USB 2.0<-> SD?C readers were able to fully rtransfer everything. The only issue is the speed of the transfer.

By the way, is DreamPi 1.71 up yet? I know where to check, except Dreampi 1.6 was having the same errors downstairs

tripletopper

Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:32 am

Do I need to both install NOOBS AND DreamPi using Apple Pi Baker? I don’t understand the directions of Apple Pi Baker enough to install both NOOBS and Dreampi.

I assume noobs is the brains of the OS, and Dreampi is a specific program that runs in NOOBS.

So My I have Instructions on how to Install both NOOBS AND Dreampi using my Macintosh and Apple Pi Baker?

Also is there a way to access NOOBS on Macintosh Terminal using Unix so I can make sure what I type is correct by copying from the GUI and pasting to the Terminal? Can Mac Terminal be used to alter either the Noobs or DreamPi program in such a way that will work just as well as typing it directly on the Pi with a USB keyboard

rpdom

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:06 am

The majority of USB2.0 card readers support SDHC. The ones in the Pound shops do.

Internal slots in older computers tend not to support SDHC. I don't know about the slot in your Mac.

NOOBS is not a full OS. It is customised to provide a method for installing a real OS like Raspbian, but many of us prefer to install Raspbian without using NOOBS.

I don't know anything about DreamPi, sorry.

Return to “Beginners”