gkreidl

Re: Kweb Suite (Minimal Kiosk Browser, omxplayerGUI)

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:01 pm

jpezz wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:44 pm
Recommended enhancements to kweb:

Simple ability in kiosk mode to show forward/back arrows on pages.

Simple ability in kiosk mode to timeout pages when inactivity reaches preset time so browser automatically returns to home page.
This has to be done inside the web page using JavaScript.
jpezz wrote:
By-user configuration pages in local directory so features can be enabled/disable for a single user and not for all users. Customized commands, autoconfig, etc. use local file if present, else use /usr/local/share/kweb files.
No. This would be a high security risk.
jpezz wrote:
Ability to enable no-terminal script execution with option in iframe line without changing autoconfig file.
This makes no sense. kweb checks, if a program is a GUI program and executes it without starting a terminal. Other programs are run inside a terminal, except if they are disabled in kweb_settings. This is exactly as it should be.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

johndavies

Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:21 pm

I have followed gkreidl's excellent advice to me on changing the omxplayergui player from omxplayergui to VLC to play live TV streams from tvheadend using the Pi TVHat on the omxplayergui Web menu. This has resulted in much quicker loading and much smoother playing of streams than when using omxplayergui. There is the added bonus of being able to see a playlist.
I have put the streams in a text file saved as FavouriteTV.m3u inside a folder called TVLive so the Web Menu of omxplayergui can list my media collection. The following format is used:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,Sky News
http stream
#EXTINF:-1,Talking Pictures
http stream
#EXTINF:-1,Yesterday
http stream

Next I was advised to run ytdl_server.py which is inside the kwebfix folder, enter http://localhost:9192 into a browser, change the player from omxplayergui to VLC when a slightly modified omxplayergui Web menu appears and click on the directory which contains the TV streams. I tried to speed up the process by writing a simple bash program:
#/bin/bash
cd /home/pi/kwebfix
./ytdl_server.py
#failed attemts to launch chromium http://localhost:9192

I could not use the program to load http://localhost:9192. I had to load this part manually. Is there any way in which I can load it automatically?

jpezz

Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:37 am

gkreidl wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:01 pm
jpezz wrote:
Recommended enhancements to kweb:

Simple ability in kiosk mode to show forward/back arrows on pages.

Simple ability in kiosk mode to timeout pages when inactivity reaches preset time so browser automatically returns to home page.
This has to be done inside the web page using JavaScript.

No kidding but not what I asked for.
jpezz wrote:
By-user configuration pages in local directory so features can be enabled/disable for a single user and not for all users. Customized commands, autoconfig, etc. use local file if present, else use /usr/local/share/kweb files.
No. This would be a high security risk.

Not in my application. That's why I asked for it.
jpezz wrote:
Ability to enable no-terminal script execution with option in iframe line without changing autoconfig file.
This makes no sense. kweb checks, if a program is a GUI program and executes it without starting a terminal. Other programs are run inside a terminal, except if they are disabled in kweb_settings. This is exactly as it should be.
No. Exactly how it was designed. Not what I asked for.

It's unfortunate that for my need, Firefox ESR with mkiosk add-on and it's disadvantages is still a much better kiosk for one of my applications and I will have to leave the app on FF. Kweb has some features I need for the other application but also has a lot of weaknesses that make it a real pain to use.

But I do appreciate having it in spite of the issues.

Diophantus

Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:03 pm

gkreidl, is it possible to have 2 RPi3s running where one is acting as a "server" and one is acting as a "player"?

For instance, I have local videos that can be loaded in a playlist from the "server's" omxplayerGUI, or using network access from a browser on the same network using a different Windows PC. The other Pi is running omxplayer in fullscreen with no GUI, just a video player. Which could be started via GPIO trigger to play a file? No other commands would be used other than play.

The main idea is to have a RPi3 act as just a video player with GPI triggering play. But have the capability to load a selection of videos in a playlist from a webpage.

Thanks!

gkreidl

Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:00 am

Diophantus wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:03 pm
gkreidl, is it possible to have 2 RPi3s running where one is acting as a "server" and one is acting as a "player"?

For instance, I have local videos that can be loaded in a playlist from the "server's" omxplayerGUI, or using network access from a browser on the same network using a different Windows PC. The other Pi is running omxplayer in fullscreen with no GUI, just a video player. Which could be started via GPIO trigger to play a file? No other commands would be used other than play.

The main idea is to have a RPi3 act as just a video player with GPI triggering play. But have the capability to load a selection of videos in a playlist from a webpage.

Thanks!
omxplayerGUI can handle playlists, but it does not serve them. You can use it to create and save m3u playlists.
On the "player RPi" you can use omxplayerGUI, but it needs at least a minimal XORG environment. It can be set to run full screen without any GUI elements.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

sinother_one

Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:36 pm

also i have this problem

---quote---

How can I make Kweb browser system default browser for http links?
I did select it to open html files, but links from pdf files open Vivaldi, and Kweb is not an option in - - config x-www-browser in my OS

gkreidl

Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:02 am

sinother_one wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:36 pm
also i have this problem

---quote---

How can I make Kweb browser system default browser for http links?
I did select it to open html files, but links from pdf files open Vivaldi, and Kweb is not an option in - - config x-www-browser in my OS
Different programs use different way of opening URLs. Some may use x-www-browser, but not all. You may be able to add kweb to to x-www-browser alternatives group using update-alternatives, giving it the highest priority.

gkreidl

Partial upgrade available

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:43 am

A while ago I created a special version of omxplayerGUI for my rpiotrtool project (German version only, viewtopic.php?p=1437289).

Besides the additions I needed for this project (special key commands for better navigation and to create cut lists), the new version 1.7.9.9-otr contains some improvements, especially for web video support.

I don't want to create a full kweb upgrade right now and decided to create a separate upgrade package, which provides the new omxplayerGUI version and also new versions of some other tools:
ytdl_server.py with full support of VLC
kwebhelper.py and kwebhelper_set.py to add support for qpdfview which is now the default Raspbian PDF viewer.

To install the new update open a terminal and run:

Code: Select all

wget http://steinerdatenbank.de/software/kweb_upgrade_stretch_20190408.tar.gz
tar -xzf kweb_upgrade_stretch_20190408.tar.gz
cd kweb_upgrade_stretch_20190408
./install
A few notes:

omxplayerGUI

I won't provide a full list of new (ALT+) keyboard commands here (some are very special), but you might find ALT + right or left arrow key usefull for short jumps forward or backward (to next of previous key frame).

m3u8 links (which are mostly used for video which comes in chunks) are not handled as playlists any more but sent directly to omxplayer which handles them quite well. In some cases web video stopped after a short while. This should fix it.

The alternate method to get information about a video file or stream (get_DAR on the settings page) now uses ffprobe if it is installed as part of the ffmpeg binaries. This should fix a few (rare) blockings when using this method.

ytdl-server

This small web application server has mainly been developped to support fast acess to web video to play it in omxplayerGUI or (now) VLC instead of inside the browser. This works with any browser, not just kweb (viewtopic.php?f=66&t=193811).

If you want to use it with VLC, you have to start the server separately. This is best done with the following command:

bgstart_ytdl_server.sh -a=vlc
You can add it as autostart in different ways.

You can also use this server (http:localhost:9192) to provide a web interface for your local media collection. This also works with any browser. Check the manual for more details.

PDF support

kweb supports PDFs in two different ways. By default it downloads the PDF file and opens it with a PDF application of your choice: mupdf, xpdf, evince and (now) qpdfview. It supports links like ....pdf#page=xxx and will open the PDF document at page xxx.

It is also possible to display PDFs inside the browser if you install mozplugger and enable Plugins in kweb. By default mozplugger supports xpdf and evince. To add support for qpdfview, you have to edit /etc/mozpluggerrc as root. Scroll down to the PDF section and modify it in the following way:

application/pdf:pdf:PDF file
application/x-pdf:pdf:PDF file
text/pdf:pdf:PDF file
text/x-pdf:pdf:PDF file
	ACROREAD()
	repeat noisy swallow(Xpdf) fill needs_xembed: xpdf -g +9000+9000 "$file"
	repeat noisy swallow(okular) fill needs_xembed: okular "$file"
        repeat noisy swallow(epdfview) fill needs_xembed: epdfview "$file"
	repeat noisy swallow(qpdfview) fill needs_xembed: qpdfview "$file"
	GV()
	repeat noisy swallow(evince) fill: evince "$file"
#page=xxx links are not supported by mozplugger. The PDF document will always be opend showing the first page.

MaryShah

Thu May 02, 2019 11:11 am

Hi All
I'm having some issues with playing audio files using html5
using this to test https://hpr.dogphilosophy.net/test/ the mp3 is saying unsupported.

I've also looked at viewtopic.php?t=63112 and installed all the packages but cannot play the audio files in http://www.russianlessons.net/audio/audio-test.php

my alsa sound is setup correctly playing a mp3 audio file using mpg123 <filename> outputs sound okay to my speakers.

using raspian lite stretch with the latest version of kweb 1.7.9.8

once thing I have noticed is playing a mp3 file using omxplayer results in the below error - it plays for a few seconds then output the below

omxplayer -o alsa file.mp3
Error: Unable to open font
Audio codec mp3 channels 2 samplerate 22050 bitspersample 16
Subtitle count: 0, state: off, index: 1, delay: 0
/usr/bin/omxplayer: line 67: 21027 Terminated LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$OMXPLAYER_LIBS${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH}" $OMXPLAYER_BIN "$@"

playing a live .ts stream with video works fine

please can you help

thanks

gkreidl

Thu May 02, 2019 12:25 pm

The Stretch version of webkit is compiled against gstreamer 1.0, not gstreamer 0.10. Adding the old packages won't help. You may try to install the matching gstreamer-1.0 packages..

MaryShah

Thu May 02, 2019 2:15 pm

thanks
the omxplayer is still doing the same thing as above but the html5 audio issue is fixed
below are the patches for anyone with the same issues on stretch

sudo apt-get install gstreamer1.0-plugins-base gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly

gkreidl

Thu May 02, 2019 3:05 pm

MaryShah wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:15 pm
thanks
the omxplayer is still doing the same thing as above but the html5 audio issue is fixed
below are the patches for anyone with the same issues on stretch

sudo apt-get install gstreamer1.0-plugins-base gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly
Check if the following fonts are installed: FreeSans.ttf and FreeSansOblique.ttf

MaryShah

Fri May 03, 2019 7:03 pm

does kweb have a debug mode or a console so I can check for any errors?
I have a .net app that works in chromium but hangs onload in kweb for some reason

thanks

gkreidl

Sat May 04, 2019 5:07 am

MaryShah wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:03 pm
does kweb have a debug mode or a console so I can check for any errors?
I have a .net app that works in chromium but hangs onload in kweb for some reason

thanks
No. For debugging I use two Python scripts from another author. You can open an inspector window from the right click menu inside a web page from the browser. You will have to install some Python modules from the repository. Check the sources (imports) for details.
webkitdebug.tar.gz
(4.93 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

migarcia

Fri May 24, 2019 6:46 am

Hello:
How can I install kweb today? I have not managed to find any repository to do it

gkreidl

Fri May 24, 2019 9:08 am

migarcia wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:46 am
Hello:
How can I install kweb today? I have not managed to find any repository to do it
kweb is not in any repository (although it is packaged as a Debian/Raspbian package).
You will always find latest install instructions in the first post of this thread.

jpezz

Thu May 30, 2019 7:34 pm

It seems like my iframe shell scripts all start by running a visible lxterminal that quickly disappears. But it can cause confusion to the kiosk users because they flash on the screen. They both have entries in the "direct command execution" section. The information there is confusing as whether the "check_desktop" should be set to True or False to not run a terminal. I tried both ways and I still get the lxterminal windows showing up.

Am I doing something wrong or is it not possible with scripts to avoid this?

If not possible, where lxterminal is specified as the default option, can I change the default size and/or position of the lxterminal only when run by kweb (by specifying options on the "referred terminal" line(?) ) so it is much smaller and/or is hidden? Kweb is used ONLY for one kiosk application and is not used as a general web browser so shoving it in a corner (or in another universe) or making it one short line in size is not a problem when run from kweb.

I also seem to run into a timing problem when the web page with two iframes that do two things bring up two terminals, one after the other. The first one logs information. The second executes a "pkill" of kweb. I tried replacing the iframe executing pkill with one that tells kweb to execute the "q" command (which is indeed enabled) as in

<iframe cmd="file:///homepage.html?kbd=q"></iframe>
which should eliminate the second terminal window coming up. But that doesn't work. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but what?
The message I get when the two original commands are executed successively is
* * (lxterminal: nnnn): WARNING * * : Bind on socket failed. Address already in use
where nnnn changes (socket # or PID?) each time.

However, both commands work.

gkreidl

Fri May 31, 2019 3:51 am

jpezz wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 7:34 pm
It seems like my iframe shell scripts all start by running a visible lxterminal that quickly disappears. But it can cause confusion to the kiosk users because they flash on the screen. They both have entries in the "direct command execution" section. The information there is confusing as whether the "check_desktop" should be set to True or False to not run a terminal. I tried both ways and I still get the lxterminal windows showing up.

Am I doing something wrong or is it not possible with scripts to avoid this?

If not possible, where lxterminal is specified as the default option, can I change the default size and/or position of the lxterminal only when run by kweb (by specifying options on the "referred terminal" line(?) ) so it is much smaller and/or is hidden? Kweb is used ONLY for one kiosk application and is not used as a general web browser so shoving it in a corner (or in another universe) or making it one short line in size is not a problem when run from kweb.

I also seem to run into a timing problem when the web page with two iframes that do two things bring up two terminals, one after the other. The first one logs information. The second executes a "pkill" of kweb. I tried replacing the iframe executing pkill with one that tells kweb to execute the "q" command (which is indeed enabled) as in

<iframe cmd="file:///homepage.html?kbd=q"></iframe>
which should eliminate the second terminal window coming up. But that doesn't work. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but what?
The message I get when the two original commands are executed successively is
* * (lxterminal: nnnn): WARNING * * : Bind on socket failed. Address already in use
where nnnn changes (socket # or PID?) each time.

However, both commands work.
Commands are always run in a terminal by default. If a ".desktop" file is found in/usr/share/application for the command (exact match), no terminal is used (by default, but this can be disabled).
To run background scripts without a terminal, they have to be entered in the "direct command execution list. For commands without a path (commands from /usr/bin etc.), adding the name is enough (if they are run as the command name without a path). For other paths, e.g. "/home/pi/myscript.sh" you must add the complete path.

Your keyboard command iframe is wrong. It should be
code]<iframe src="file:///homepage.html?kbd=q"></iframe>[/code].

jpezz

Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:41 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 3:51 am

Commands are always run in a terminal by default. If a ".desktop" file is found in/usr/share/application for the command (exact match), no terminal is used (by default, but this can be disabled).
To run background scripts without a terminal, they have to be entered in the "direct command execution list. For commands without a path (commands from /usr/bin etc.), adding the name is enough (if they are run as the command name without a path). For other paths, e.g. "/home/pi/myscript.sh" you must add the complete path.

Your keyboard command iframe is wrong. It should be
code]<iframe src="file:///homepage.html?kbd=q"></iframe>[/code].
Your correcting keyboard command worked great. Thanks. Speeds up the application.

As to the other problem, I did indeed have the full path specified but your comment forced me to revisit what I put. It turns out, I had moved the scripts to a new subdirectory but never modified the entries in kweb. Doing so does indeed eliminate the momentary popup of terminal windows.

Thanks for both answers.

arjepsen

Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:30 pm

Hey.

I'm trying to set up a craftbeerpi system.
I'm using a rpi zerow, and are trying to get the website running in kweb.
I can get kweb to start using:
kweb -K http://localhost:5000
It seems like it's loading the site, but nothing comes up on the page.
I can get the page to display in chromium, but kweb is lighter.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

gkreidl

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:00 am

arjepsen wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:30 pm
Hey.

I'm trying to set up a craftbeerpi system.
I'm using a rpi zerow, and are trying to get the website running in kweb.
I can get kweb to start using:
kweb -K http://localhost:5000
It seems like it's loading the site, but nothing comes up on the page.
I can get the page to display in chromium, but kweb is lighter.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Is your website built dynamically from Javascript? You have not enabled it in your start command. Try
kweb -KJ http://localhost:5000

arjepsen

Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:31 pm

Thanks.
I have to confess, I'm not sure about how the website is generated.
I'm using version 3 of it:
https://github.com/Manuel83/craftbeerpi3

Even if I start kweb with just:
kweb http:localhost:5000

it only loads a dark screen below the address bar - nothing else.
I've tried Midori also - same problem.
Chromium seems to load it, but since the rpi0-w is already not toooo strong, I really want to use the most lightweight browser I can find... :-)

gkreidl

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:50 am

arjepsen wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:31 pm
Thanks.
I have to confess, I'm not sure about how the website is generated.
I'm using version 3 of it:
https://github.com/Manuel83/craftbeerpi3

Even if I start kweb with just:
kweb http:localhost:5000

it only loads a dark screen below the address bar - nothing else.
I've tried Midori also - same problem.
Chromium seems to load it, but since the rpi0-w is already not toooo strong, I really want to use the most lightweight browser I can find... :-)
If Midori doesn't show anything (Javascript enabled by default), the web interface is using some Javascript (or CSS) which is incompatible with the old webkit engine. No chance.

Pearl.852

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:23 pm

@gkreidl,
Is the Kweb Suite compatible with the new Raspbian Buster?

gkreidl

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:01 am

Pearl.852 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:23 pm
@gkreidl,
Is the Kweb Suite compatible with the new Raspbian Buster?
I can't tell you, yet. It will take a week or two until I can move one of my systems to Buster and start testing. And it will take a few more weeks, until I can test it on Buster using a RPi 4.

Return to “Raspbian”