RDK

Windows 2003 server can not connect to SAMBA shares

Fri May 17, 2019 5:31 pm

There is a similar posting on this issue but for Window 8 ( https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?p=660752). I have and/or have had several Windows 7, Vista and now Window 10 Pro and Windows Family and all have been able to connect to my Pi's without issues. The Pi's are all set up with SAMBA. I just tried to connect to one of my Pi's from a WINDOWS 2003 SERVER and got rejected with bad ID/PW credentials. I tried all of the know ID's and PW's for both the Server and the PI withouf success. Any ideas?....RDK

Andyroo

Re: Windows 2003 server can not connect to SAMBA shares

Fri May 17, 2019 5:45 pm

Samba by default as to own security file that contains users and passwords.

It can be set up to use domain authentication if required but often a small SAMBA share will just have users and passwords created for the share user. For example, to set up a user share account for the default user pi you would use:

Code: Select all

sudo smbpasswd -a pi
This will prompt you for a password for the share - this can be different from the normal user password and does not change (again the config can be set to do this) if the user changes their password.

You need to have a look in /etc/samba/smb.conf to see how the security is set up for each share.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

hortimech

Fri May 17, 2019 6:06 pm

Lets get this out of the way, Windows server 2003, like XP, is EOL, so getting updates for it will be slim (a few days ago I would have said impossible, but then Microsoft went and released a security release)

It is likely that your windows server is trying to speak in NTLMv1 and Samba, like the other OS's you mentioned, now speaks NTLMv2. You could try adding 'ntlm auth = yes' to your smb.conf and if this works, try reading this:
https://support.symantec.com/en_US/arti ... 54187.html

and see if it works with 2003 (it should)

Andyroo

Fri May 17, 2019 6:12 pm

Given how much and how often things have changed since 2003 was released, it would be worth checking both the Samba config and Windows NTLM level.

Samba is in the config file above and Windows can be found with:
start -> run -> gpedit.msc -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options.
Network Security: LAN Manager Authentication Level.

Edit: Just be aware changing the Pi end may break your working connections :roll:
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

RDK

Sat May 18, 2019 7:35 am

Thanks folks. This is not a very high priority, so I will proceed with lots of caution and backups.....RDK

Return to “Troubleshooting”