crw1018

PI booting to SD not internal memory

Wed May 15, 2019 4:32 pm

Hello Everyone,

Please forgive me for being new to all of this, I am having issues on a work project in which we have a fully industrial rated PI inside one of our products. We can boot and operate the module just fine but when we add a Micro SD card the device has issues booting up.

When the Micro SD card is inserted and the device restarts it will boot to a blank screen and not the PI desktop

were trying to have the Micro SD as just a backup to the internal storage as a "Fail Over"

Any insights or advice would be much appreciated!

echmain

Re: PI booting to SD not internal memory

Wed May 15, 2019 4:48 pm

Which model?

W. H. Heydt

Wed May 15, 2019 5:22 pm

I'm going to stick my neck out and make a couple of guesses here... It sounds like you are using a compute module (CM). At this point, probably a CM3+ as that is the only series that has enough eMMC flash on the board to support a full desktop. In general, the SoC used in all Pis can only boot from the eMMC flash--if it has it, which means only CMs--or an SD card--which is the case with all non-CM Pis plus the CM3L and CM3L+.

So far as I know, there is a second interface available to a CM with flash that can be used to connect an SD card. But--also so far as I know--you can't boot from that second interface.

I would suggest that you ask the moderators to move this thread to the Compute Module forum where you are more likely to have it seen by people intimately familiar with CMs. (The vast majority of Pi users are unfamiliar with the ins and outs of CMs as they are specifically targeted to industrial and embedded uses.)

crw1018

Wed May 15, 2019 5:40 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:22 pm
I'm going to stick my neck out and make a couple of guesses here... It sounds like you are using a compute module (CM). At this point, probably a CM3+ as that is the only series that has enough eMMC flash on the board to support a full desktop. In general, the SoC used in all Pis can only boot from the eMMC flash--if it has it, which means only CMs--or an SD card--which is the case with all non-CM Pis plus the CM3L and CM3L+.

So far as I know, there is a second interface available to a CM with flash that can be used to connect an SD card. But--also so far as I know--you can't boot from that second interface.

I would suggest that you ask the moderators to move this thread to the Compute Module forum where you are more likely to have it seen by people intimately familiar with CMs. (The vast majority of Pi users are unfamiliar with the ins and outs of CMs as they are specifically targeted to industrial and embedded uses.)
you are exactly correct!!!!!

I am still so new to this environment that i wasn't aware the CM isn't a standard setup. How would i go about asking the moderators to move this to the CM section?

Really appreciate all the info :)

rpdom

Wed May 15, 2019 5:49 pm

crw1018 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:40 pm
How would i go about asking the moderators to move this to the CM section?
If you click the "!" Report Post icon on your post you will get selection of reasons to report it. One of those is something like "The topic is in the wrong sub-forum" and then you put the desired location "Compute Module" in the comments box and submit it. The moderators will be happy to move the post for you.

On this occasion I've done the reporting for you so you don't have to worry about that. The post will be moved when someone is available to do it.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed May 15, 2019 6:16 pm

Moved...

Return to “Compute Module”