leelabks

CM3 Plus Minimum Linux Kernel version requirement

Mon May 13, 2019 8:22 am

We have some old development which used for the CM3 and would like to migrate directly to the new CM3 Plus. May I know what the minimum Linux kernel version in order to support this new CM3 Plus? If I am using Linux kernel v4.4.50, can I do a kernel upgrade directly in order to make them work in the new CM3 Plus?

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: CM3 Plus Minimum Linux Kernel version requirement

Mon May 13, 2019 10:02 am

The Linux kernel will probably not care about the difference between a CM3 and CM3+ if you already had a CM3 working on 4.4.

You are likely to need to upgrade the firmware files (start*.elf and fixup*.dat in /boot) so that they understand how to handle the updated board version string.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

leelabks

Mon May 13, 2019 12:26 pm

Thank you for your reply, may i know where to get the appropriate firmware files (start*.elf and fixup*.dat in /boot) for the CM3 Plus? is it just copy out the latest firmware image "start.elf", "start_cd.elf", "start_db.elf", "start_x.elf", "fixup.dat", "fixup_cd.dat", "fixup_db.dat", and "fixup_x.dat"? please let me know if i missed out any of the files, thank you very much.

jamesh

Mon May 13, 2019 12:50 pm

leelabks wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:26 pm
Thank you for your reply, may i know where to get the appropriate firmware files (start*.elf and fixup*.dat in /boot) for the CM3 Plus? is it just copy out the latest firmware image "start.elf", "start_cd.elf", "start_db.elf", "start_x.elf", "fixup.dat", "fixup_cd.dat", "fixup_db.dat", and "fixup_x.dat"? please let me know if i missed out any of the files, thank you very much.
Yes, grab those from the most recent Raspbian release.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

aroman_ro

Mon May 13, 2019 1:01 pm

I think you can get them also from here:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware

You might want the 'stable' branch?

leelabks

Tue May 14, 2019 2:28 am

after i use the latest firmware image start*.elf and fixup*.dat in /boot to replace my firmware image above file, my firmware image can boot up now. Thank you everyone!

Return to “Compute Module”