jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Etcher instruction wrong Issue 81

Thu May 09, 2019 9:41 am

My concern is that formatting an SD card shortens it's life, albeit only a bit. It may even negatively affect the wear leveling. Difficult to tell as its probably different for different cards.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Milliways

Sun May 12, 2019 12:12 am

Burngate wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:05 am

I never used training wheels - just got on and tried riding. Fell off a few times before I got the hang of it, but by 13 or so I was riding no-hands, doing hand-stands on the saddle, ...
It wasn't until much later that I learned about gyroscopes, and why a bike stays upright.

On the other hand, when my sister was learning to fly, they wouldn't let her take off until she understood what the aerolons did
Totally off topic, BUT the gyroscopic effect has very little to do with bicycle balance - it is the feedback through the steering which balances the bike. A good rider can remain upright at very low speeds.

If you have ever tried to ride a bike with training wheels, it is almost impossible, because you can't lean! You don't steer with the handlebars - you lean into the corner.

Burngate

Sun May 12, 2019 8:32 am

As I was writing that, I knew it was wrong, but it looked good!
Also, riding with your eyes closed isn't recommended - it hurts the head, damages the car, and bends the front forks.
After that last, steering should be impossible, because the contact point is no longer in line with the steering mechanism, but it isn't - and I haven't worked out why not.
Totally off-topic, as you say.

bensimmo

Sun May 12, 2019 11:15 am

Burngate wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:32 am
As I was writing that, I knew it was wrong, but it looked good!
Also, riding with your eyes closed isn't recommended - it hurts the head, damages the car, and bends the front forks.
After that last, steering should be impossible, because the contact point is no longer in line with the steering mechanism, but it isn't - and I haven't worked out why not.
Totally off-topic, as you say.
It never was inline, there is a rake built in.
This is to the front (normally).
You've just altered that a bit.
There is also head angle, length of forks and wheel radius that determine how wobbly the wheel is with that rake.
To counter that at the steering end, the stem length and bar width/position of holding determine how twitchy or stable that movent is.
Couple that with center of gravity and you find out why different people like different bikes.

Anyway a slower speed you steer more with the bars that at the higher speed
None handed is quite easy to balance the bike as pretty slow speed but more difficult to turn, at faster speed is easier. Even over bumps.
BUT if the tyre is not behaving well, it might have an odd or every pointy contact patch or the forks (too long)/headset are not quite right and your weight distribution is wrong, none handed can just not work well, it unstable.
Quite often it's just the tyre and it flops around too easily.

Now having forks back to front, you'll find the bike is still quite ridable.
Ask all the people who buy ASDA bikes or other supermarket bikes and don't realise

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun May 12, 2019 1:31 pm

As we have gone completely off topic with bike riding nonsense, locked!

IMHO instructions should not include superfluous stuff, that have nothing to do with the task at hand, and is learning people the wrong things.
sorry lucy I know you meant well... :roll:

any explanations on how to format a card should be kept as a separate issue, same thing for unzipping.

Return to “The MagPi”