WCYU

Raspberrypi 3 b+ use GPIOs to implement PICE function?

Fri May 10, 2019 1:44 am

Hi ALL
Is it possible that we uses GPIOs to implement PICE function?
How to do on SW and HW side?

pcmanbob

Re: Raspberrypi 3 b+ use GPIOs to implement PICE function?

Fri May 10, 2019 10:04 am

Hi.

As I could not find an interface called PICE I assume you meant PCIe which is an interface on an X86 pc.

if this is what you actually meant the the answer is no the pi gpio can not be used as a PCIe interface/slot.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

hippy

Fri May 10, 2019 1:09 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
if this is what you actually meant the the answer is no the pi gpio can not be used as a PCIe interface/slot.
I have only made superficial investigations but it does appears PCIe can be clocked down to DC so it seems feasible to bit-bang it. That's likely not going to be usable for how people may be desiring to use it but it may be possible to do it.

chwe

Fri May 10, 2019 11:24 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
As I could not find an interface called PICE I assume you meant PCIe which is an interface on an X86 pc.
it's not.. there are plenty of arm boards around supporting PCIe.. just not the RPi. ;)

pcmanbob

Sat May 11, 2019 9:17 am

chwe wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:24 pm
pcmanbob wrote:
it's not.. there are plenty of arm boards around supporting PCIe.. just not the RPi. ;)
Sorry but PCIe is an interface found on an X86 PC, no were did I say you could not find them on arm based PC's ;)

and the original question was can the pi gpio used as such an interface , I think not...... others may have other ideas.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

chwe

Sat May 11, 2019 10:03 am

USB3 is an interface found on x86 PCs, display port is an interface found on x86 PCs, full speed GbE is an interface found on PCs... and you find all this stuff arm based boards if it's a must for you (and most of it also on MIPS based boards and.. surprisingly also on AMD64 :lol: )..
pcmanbob wrote:
Sorry but PCIe is an interface found on an X86 PC,
compare your first with your second statement.. Not that the second one is better.. All of them have nothing to do with the CPU architecture used, but with the other IPs glued on the SoC...

But it might make more sense that the OP states what he wants to achieve to bring him to a solution which works. And if it's not about maximum speed, most of it can also be achieved with a slow USB2 connection.

fruitoftheloom

Sat May 11, 2019 10:25 am

chwe wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:03 am
USB3 is an interface found on x86 PCs, display port is an interface found on x86 PCs, full speed GbE is an interface found on PCs... and you find all this stuff arm based boards if it's a must for you (and most of it also on MIPS based boards and.. surprisingly also on AMD64 :lol: )..
pcmanbob wrote:
Sorry but PCIe is an interface found on an X86 PC,
compare your first with your second statement.. Not that the second one is better.. All of them have nothing to do with the CPU architecture used, but with the other IPs glued on the SoC...

But it might make more sense that the OP states what he wants to achieve to bring him to a solution which works. And if it's not about maximum speed, most of it can also be achieved with a slow USB2 connection.

The OP stated PICE not anything else !!
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat May 11, 2019 10:32 am

On topic please, keep the meta discussion out.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

chwe

Sat May 11, 2019 11:20 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:25 am
The OP stated PICE not anything else !!
maybe, just maybe the OP is not aware that there's an other solution for his problem? But right.. we don't like those solution based approaches right? It was never supposed that you find creative solutions such SBCs.. :lol:

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat May 11, 2019 3:03 pm

Unless the OP comes back and explains what PICE means, other than the multiple of PI, or any small, wingless insect of the order Anoplura I would suggest not going off a limb second guessing him.

IMHO the OP is not a fluent english speaker, and all the blather here has scared him away.

my suggestion to him, is to do a second attempt.

but yes PCI is NOT a technology suitable for any RPI like device, and "emulating" it with GPIO's is NOT a relevant proposal, (and like forcing a square pin in a round hole) but that is just my humble opinion.

and now i'm off repairing a CBM 3016 (PET).

Return to “General discussion”