hunter6690

USB Speaker is detected by EVERYTHING, but this thing refuses to output audio.

Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:19 am

I'm having one hell of a night. I'm literally pulling my hair out over why this damn thing won't work.

I have this USB only speaker, it's detected by everything (aplay, alsamixer, the speaker icon) and it simply refuses to output any audio. It's mind boggling that I've been at this for 4 hours Googling around. I've changed my .asoundrc, my config files and everything else I can think of. The speaker works as it worked in my main PC.

Joel_Mckay

Re: USB Speaker is detected by EVERYTHING, but this thing refuses to output audio.

Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:32 am

If you have the gnome desktop :
0. exit all active media players
1. right-click Speaker icon in the upper right hand of screen to select "Sound Preferences"
2. click "hardware" tab to see if driver is active
3. click "output" tab and select alternate default output line
4. click "hardware" tab again to test speakers (try each speaker test 3 times if driver buffer is initially silent)

If you want to do this via command line for every user, than it may involve manually changing the default device profile.
Try: https://superuser.com/questions/626606/ ... omatically
YMMV and may require you also explicitly disable unused output-devices or modules...

After a few years the hair retreats into ones ears and nose... take your victory while you can.... ;-)

fruitoftheloom

Re: USB Speaker is detected by EVERYTHING, but this thing refuses to output audio.

Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:38 am

Joel_Mckay wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:32 am
If you have the gnome desktop :

Why do you believe the OP is running Gnome Desktop .

...no mention of any Operating System !
Retired disgracefully.....

Joel_Mckay

Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:52 am

fruitoftheloom wrote: Why do you believe the OP is running Gnome Desktop .
It is a common issue people may have, and the "volume control applet" is usually more meaningful than "pactl list; aplay -l;" or fumbling in the "alsamixer" terminal interface with F6 menu.

I assumed they are using linux... ;-)

fruitoftheloom

Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:58 am

Joel_Mckay wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:52 am
fruitoftheloom wrote: Why do you believe the OP is running Gnome Desktop .
It is a common issue people may have, and the "volume control applet" is usually more meaningful than "pactl list; aplay -l;" or fumbling in the "alsamixer" terminal interface with F6 menu.

I assumed they are using linux... ;-)

Raspbian has "Raspberry Pi Desktop" which is a fork of LXDE.........

Joel_Mckay

Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:27 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
We use a minimal MATE package on the Raspbian Stretch Lite image (MATE image itself seemed out of date), as it was more consistent with traditional Ubuntu/Mint style community documentation and supported a configurable gpu compositor.

Is there any specific reason LXDE is considered "better", or can we assume the other OS images in the download area are just less popular?

Best regards,
J

fruitoftheloom

Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:16 am

Joel_Mckay wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:27 am
fruitoftheloom wrote:
We use a minimal MATE package on the Raspbian Stretch Lite image (MATE image itself seemed out of date), as it was more consistent with traditional Ubuntu/Mint style community documentation and supported a configurable gpu compositor.

Is there any specific reason LXDE is considered "better", or can we assume the other OS images in the download area are just less popular?

Best regards,
J

Raspbian Stretch is developed by the Raspberry Pi Foundation to be compatible with all models and the Compute Module, many alternative Operating Systems do not support ARMv6.....

fruitoftheloom

Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:26 am

hunter6690 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:19 am
I'm having one hell of a night. I'm literally pulling my hair out over why this damn thing won't work.

I have this USB only speaker, it's detected by everything (aplay, alsamixer, the speaker icon) and it simply refuses to output any audio. It's mind boggling that I've been at this for 4 hours Googling around. I've changed my .asoundrc, my config files and everything else I can think of. The speaker works as it worked in my main PC.

Please can you state Raspberry Pi model and Operating System ???

k-pi

Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:38 am

Likely you just need to change the sound output from HDMI by opening the sound menu/icon at the top right of your desktop, assuming you are running the official Raspbian OS.

Return to “Troubleshooting”