cdenney

Best way to splice multiple wires/components into a single circuit

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:58 pm

I have a project that has several resistive heaters on a single control circuit. I am moving it off of the prototype breadboard and want to wire it permanently. I want to wire them in parallel, but can't find the best way to splice them all together. Similarly, the project will have several I2C components that I would like to have all wired to the same connector. Is there a standard method of doing this cleanly and securely? The closest I have found is something like this https://www.amazon.com/Wago-Wire-Conne ... ay&sr=8-5 but it is for too large of wires guages and I would need to use a couple of them to splice together all the heaters. It seems like an inelegent solution. Is there something better?

Idahowalker

Re: Best way to splice multiple wires/components into a single circuit

Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:19 pm

Do you have a schematic?

Have you bought several proto boards and tried different wiring connection schemes?

Can you solder and do crimp connections?

Are your wires solid or stranded, those connectors only work with solid wire?
Without knowing why you are deleting my postings, I will not know how...

cdenney

Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:38 pm

here is a really rough schematic of how I would like to wire up the heaters:
Pi-wiring-diagram.png
Pi-wiring-diagram.png (21.9 KiB) Viewed 702 times
It's what to do about those nodes that I am unsure of. Soldering 6 wires onto 1 wire seems like a bad idea (although I have found some instructions on how to do it)

The built in wires on the heaters are stranded (with tinned ends) but I was going to solder on longer tails and I have both stranded and solid core wire that I could use.

I have several protoboards that I have played around with so far. My plan is to solder jst XH connectors onto the board and than snap on the wires to the components. (I have pre-connected jst xh wires that I will either solder to the components or solder to connectors to the components).

I am relatively new to soldering, but yes I can solder wires and connections. I also have a crimp tool and some basic crimp connectors.

The connector I linked claims it works for both stranded and solid core, but the gauges of both are larger than I had intended on using.

gordon77

Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:41 pm

If you wire to the first heater and then loop to each other heater in turn that will reduce number of wires joined at each point.
Attachments
IMG_20190313_184632.jpg
IMG_20190313_184632.jpg (61.51 KiB) Viewed 694 times

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:52 pm

Why the PWM pin, you cannot PWM a relay, its either on or off.

here is some info on how to wire a relay (module) to an RPI.
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=83372&p=1225448#p1225448

cdenney

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:20 pm

mahjongg wrote:

It's a solid state relay of this type: https://www.amazon.com/TinaWood-SSR-25D ... way&sr=8-3

which I had been informed was appropriate for PWM control, is that incorrect?

Idahowalker

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:23 pm

A wiring block like this would work well:

https://smile.amazon.com/Position-Termi ... ay&sr=8-17, look neat and would be a good option.
Without knowing why you are deleting my postings, I will not know how...

ameador1

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:45 pm

You could use a project PCB that is like a breadboard, but for permanent soldering - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071R ... UTF8&psc=1 With these, just solder them up - maybe use one of the supply columns at one end for the grounds and then the positive (relay) side on the other side of the board with another supply column. Link to PSU and relay to these columns and control the relay as before.

There are these lever nuts(https://www.amazon.com/222-418-Lever-Nu ... 224&sr=8-3) with 8 ports - so you could connect your 6 heater grounds with a lead to your PSU (leaving one port unused) and then use another one for your hot side for each heater with a lead going to your relay. Zip them up - would be pretty clean.

(Edit: I like @Idahowalker 's idea as well)
"When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns–or dollars. Take your choice–there is no other..."
- Ayn Rand - Atlas Shrugged

cdenney

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:09 pm

Thanks, for some reason I hadn't seen those version of the lever lock (even though I've looked at a similar product. I think a combination of the bus and the lever locks will solve both the heater and the I2C sensor connection problems.

boyoh

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:17 pm

cdenney wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:58 pm
I have a project that has several resistive heaters on a single control circuit. I am moving it off of the prototype breadboard and want to wire it permanently. I want to wire them in parallel, but can't find the best way to splice them all together. Similarly, the project will have several I2C components that I would like to have all wired to the same connector. Is there a standard method of doing this cleanly and securely? The closest I have found is something like this https://www.amazon.com/Wago-Wire-Conne ... ay&sr=8-5 but it is for too large of wires guages and I would need to use a couple of them to splice together all the heaters. It seems like an inelegent solution. Is there something better?
Please tell me more about the resistive heaters you are using
I might be missing something on this post, What wattage are the
Heater’s?
Regards BoyOh
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:04 pm

cdenney wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:20 pm
mahjongg wrote:

It's a solid state relay of this type: https://www.amazon.com/TinaWood-SSR-25D ... way&sr=8-3

which I had been informed was appropriate for PWM control, is that incorrect?
yes!
they might be solid state, but they will still only go on and off, they are NOT useable as dimmers, and controlling them with a PWM signal will not make much sense, especially if you are using them to control an inductive load. It might work if the load is purely resistive, so a heating element. but switching the heater on and off at high frequency will at best partly work, and will emit massive amounts of electromagnetic radiation while doing so.

sellers like this don't know the first thing about what they are selling, and most of it is cheap junk, without any technical support, like datasheets and schematics.

PhatFil

Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:54 pm

When using ssrs with a rapid switching frequency as employed by pid algorithms be mindful that they require a large heatsink to dissipate the heat that the rapid switching will generate. and if enclosed within a box vents and fans are a must. the 25a ssr used to switch the 3kw lwd elements in my brew kettle and hlt can hit 70c+ half way down the central vain of its heatsink during a 90 minute mash cycle maintaining 67C.

really over spec the ssr too I use 25a rated ssrs for my 3.5kw, 3kw and 2,4kw heating elements but i could have easily opted for 40a options

Also for connecting hi amp draw wires for an array of inductive heating elements and there is a real likelyhood of the wires getting hot its probably a good idea to consider using a ceramic terminal block to make the connections. the usual lego brick style of connector can easily heat up to the point that its insulation simply melts away when used with hi amp draw heating elements.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ceramic-main ... ed08bd2f82
just an example quickly pulled from ebay NOT a recommendation of the seller..

Return to “Beginners”