paleobuck

sd card characteristics

Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:28 pm

Are there specific sd card parameters required to work with Raspbian or other Raspberry Pi operating systems?

rzane0110

Re: sd card characteristics

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:20 am

I dont think so, you can directly run you pi with out configuring anything.

rpdom

Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:56 am

Just go for a good quality card from a reputable source. It doesn't have to be an expensive one.

As stated in the install instructions, card of 64GB or more will need to be reformatted before loading the NOOBS system (maybe PINN too, not sure about that), but for Raspbian and other images installed via Etcher there is no formatting required.

LTolledo

Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:18 am

Definitely a good quality card from a reputable maker.

stay away from those "ultra-cheap" (unknown or even branded) microSD cards, as those tend to be fakes.

This is MY standard: You may (or may not) adhere to this.
For RPi Zero, ZeroW, ZeroWH, A+, 1B+ : minimum Class 4
For RPi2B v 1.1 : minimum Class 6
For RPi2B v1.2, RPi3B, RPi3B+ : minimum Class10

I dont have A3+ yet, but may set it minimum Class10

other SBCs running without desktop ("same as Raspbian Lite") I use minimum class 4

Again this is the standard that I use. If yours is different than mine, then so be it, that's your standard
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

chwe

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:18 pm

IMO only A1/A2 rated cards are worth in those days.. The price difference between outdated slow card and an A1 rated one in minor and for sure not worth it.

jahboater

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:25 pm

+1

A1 and A2 class cards are designed for the purpose (random 4k block I/O). Older SD card types are intended for use in camera's and other media devices.

https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overv ... index.html

Sandisk A1 or A2 class cards work well. The larger ones are slightly faster.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microS ... a1+sandisk

and the latest version
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extrem ... a2+sandisk

rpdom

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:36 pm

For most of the things I do with my Pis the speed of the card is unimportant. The serious ones have external disks.

I have some first generation Pis that are still running on the original full sized SD cards with between 2GB and 8GB of storage.

HawaiianPi

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:53 pm

paleobuck wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:28 pm
Are there specific sd card parameters required to work with Raspbian or other Raspberry Pi operating systems?
There are no specific requirements for operation, but there are cards that work better and improve performance.

Regular micro SD cards are highly optimized for sequential read/write, but much of the I/O done by an OS is non-sequential, and most SD cards (even Class-10 cards) are really, really terrible at random I/O. The newer "A1" rated cards offer superior random I/O performance and provide a very noticeable improvement in OS performance on Rasp[berry Pi computers.

I like the SanDisk Ultra A1 cards. They are affordable and have much better performance than standard Class-10 cards. I have several 32GB SanDisk Ultra A1 cards and I've been happy with their performance.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

W. H. Heydt

Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:27 pm

chwe wrote:
IMO only A1/A2 rated cards are worth in those days.. The price difference between outdated slow card and an A1 rated one in minor and for sure not worth it.
You may be correct. My problem is that, for a lot of uses, I don't need a large card. I'm running many Pis on 8GB cards, and those simply don't exist in the A1/A2 space. If I'm going to--or over--32GB, I'm far more likely to be looking at an SSD than a micro SD card.

jahboater

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:06 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
I don't need a large card. I'm running many Pis on 8GB cards, and those simply don't exist in the A1/A2 space.
It looks like nowadays 16GB cards are cheaper than 8GB cards .....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microS ... ndisk&th=1
I'm not clear how having a larger card that needed causes any problem?
If there is any kind of wear leveling, the extra unused space may help longevity.

chwe

Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:49 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
chwe wrote:
You may be correct. My problem is that, for a lot of uses, I don't need a large card. I'm running many Pis on 8GB cards, and those simply don't exist in the A1/A2 space. If I'm going to--or over--32GB, I'm far more likely to be looking at an SSD than a micro SD card.
if you just wear out your old cards until they're gone sure it makes sense.. but buying new cards which are not A1 rated.. is IMO a 'missed opportunity' .. :P you can also buy 16gb A1 cards if you think higher ones are a waste of money for your use-cases. :) The price differences compared to (quality one) SD-cards from other suppliers are just marginal (off-topic: if I go for an SSD I go for another SBC :P).

Indrest

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:08 pm

I dint't think that it has to be a specific card.
I'm using a 8 year old low cost card and it works without a single problem.

Return to “General discussion”