alnaseh

cover options for Pi 3A+ case

Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:48 pm

Hi,

Pi 3A+ is very nice one and i hope if we can have a cover for the official case to fix the camera on it, in the same way the case for Pi zero. this will include a small cable as well

alnaseh

Re: cover options for Pi 3A+ / Pi4 case

Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:22 pm

I'm raising my voice again here on this request, but now for Pi4. it makes sense to have a custom cover for the official case to support the camera out of the box with custom cable.

Adding PoE hat inside the case (with suitable design for its fan) with the camera makes it more convenient as a home camera.

I believe it is a small addition with a big value

W. H. Heydt

Re: cover options for Pi 3A+ case

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:15 pm

Actually...given the thermal issues with the Pi4B, what I'd like to see would be aPi4 case top with ventilation holes. Until such a thing appears (and I'm not holding my breath), an electric drill and probably about a 3/16" drill bit should do the job in a few minutes per case.

DavidS

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:45 pm

For both the RPi 3 series and RPi 4 series I would say just use a stand, that holds the board in a vertical orientation and only contacts at one edge, giving enough space between the board and bottom of the RPi and the bottom of the stand to allow for good air flow. It is easy to throw a design together in OpenScad, slice it and 3D-Print it.

Cooling being an issue in both boards.

That is just my personal view (and what I already do with the RPi 3B and 3B+).
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

alphanumeric

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:57 pm

This is what I did, https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjOYwiwlwDtpgtIa6dhTBqnE9W-LcA
Pi 3A+, Pibow Coupe case, Camera mounted to the back side of a cut down difusser mounted on long bolts.
They all run Motion Eye OS, headless over my WIFI. I can do portrait or landscape just by turning the case on its side. Good cooling too.
I bought some camera mounts for the nuts and bolts and just cutout my difusser with a dremel tool until the camera fit in the holes I made for it.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:21 pm

DavidS wrote:
For both the RPi 3 series and RPi 4 series I would say just use a stand, that holds the board in a vertical orientation and only contacts at one edge, giving enough space between the board and bottom of the RPi and the bottom of the stand to allow for good air flow. It is easy to throw a design together in OpenScad, slice it and 3D-Print it.
Not necessarily a practical approach for all use cases. Plus, not everyone has or has access to, a 3D printer. I've considered getting one, but I don't know where I'd put it and She Who Must Be Obeyed would object.

alnaseh

Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:21 pm

DavidS wrote:

Cooling being an issue in both boards.

That is just my personal view (and what I already do with the RPi 3B and 3B+).
alphanumeric wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:57 pm
This is what I did, https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjOYwiwlwDtpgtIa6dhTBqnE9W-LcA
Pi 3A+, Pibow Coupe case, Camera mounted to the back side of a cut down difusser mounted on long bolts.
They all run Motion Eye OS, headless over my WIFI. I can do portrait or landscape just by turning the case on its side. Good cooling too.
I bought some camera mounts for the nuts and bolts and just cutout my difusser with a dremel tool until the camera fit in the holes I made for it.
thanks for the suggestion, but it needs tools and not practical as highlighted by Heydt. there are some cases out there (mainly by oneninedesign) but yet not as polish as the official one and not updated with the latest Pi4 (no clue if they have a plan to redesign it raspberrypiplastics.com)

Return to “Off topic discussion”