Penaf

3B+ dead (?) after plugging camera to display port

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:57 pm

Hello everyone.

Long time user first time poster here.

I have one of those camera modules with 2 infra red leds and I was trying to start using it when following a tutorial the wrong way I accidentally plugged the wire strip to the display strip port on my Model 3B+. The board immediatly rebooted (short?) and now everytime I turn it on nothing happens apart the red lead turning on. No activity at all.

Have I killed the board? Is this fixable?

Thanks in advance! I appreciate your time.

pcmanbob

Re: 3B+ dead (?) after plugging camera to display port

Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:43 pm

Hi.

Plugging in to the wrong connector on your pi probably shorted something hence the reboot, as you still have the red LED lit my guess would be the 3.3v has been shorted and no longer works.

if you have a digital volt meter you could check this by connecting the meter between the 3.3v gpio pin and a ground, being careful no to short any pins to adjacent ones.

If there is no 3.3v then the pi is dead and the only option is to buy another.

If you do have 3.3v on the relevant pin then try re-flashing your SD card.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

Penaf

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:11 pm

Thanks mate for the fast reply!

Well ... bad news for me I guess. There's no 3.3V on that pin. The 5V pins are outputing 5.25V.

I'll have to grab myself a new board.

Kind of weird as there's no protection against this as I'd say doesn't seem a rare accident to happen since the camera and display wire strips are the same size.

Again, thanks for your time.

HawaiianPi

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:09 pm

Penaf wrote:
Kind of weird as there's no protection against this as I'd say doesn't seem a rare accident to happen since the camera and display wire strips are the same size
Do keep in mind that we're talking about a $35 computer. Some things on Raspberry Pi computers are not tolerant of ID ten T errors. The Pi is quite robust in many ways (ESD for example), but quite fragile in others (GPIO is also not very forgiving of improper connections).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

hippy

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:58 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Penaf wrote:
Kind of weird as there's no protection against this as I'd say doesn't seem a rare accident to happen since the camera and display wire strips are the same size
Do keep in mind that we're talking about a $35 computer. Some things on Raspberry Pi computers are not tolerant of ID ten T errors. The Pi is quite robust in many ways (ESD for example), but quite fragile in others (GPIO is also not very forgiving of improper connections).
The PMIC on the 3B+ is supposed to have over-current and short-circuit protection which should help mitigate these sort of mistakes. Why it sometimes doesn't is something which the Foundation are investigating. And it's not always possible to protect against all kinds of mistakes.

Imperf3kt

Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:07 pm

hippy wrote:
HawaiianPi wrote:
Penaf wrote:
The PMIC on the 3B+ is supposed to have over-current and short-circuit protection which should help mitigate these sort of mistakes. Why it sometimes doesn't is something which the Foundation are investigating. And it's not always possible to protect against all kinds of mistakes.
I think you mean it's supposed to tolerate shorting 3v3 to ground, according to the data sheet, at least.
Just clarifying because the way you wrote it makes it sound like plugging a cable into the wrong port, which the Pi has practically no protection against (most electronics don't)
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

rpdom

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:07 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
hippy wrote:
[The PMIC on the 3B+ is supposed to have over-current and short-circuit protection which should help mitigate these sort of mistakes. Why it sometimes doesn't is something which the Foundation are investigating. And it's not always possible to protect against all kinds of mistakes.
I think you mean it's supposed to tolerate shorting 3v3 to ground, according to the data sheet, at least.
Just clarifying because the way you wrote it makes it sound like plugging a cable into the wrong port, which the Pi has practically no protection against (most electronics don't)
It is supposed to cope with the 3.3V being shorted to ground. At least some of the reported failures have been when the 3.3V output is shorted to the 5V line.

However, as stated, it is under investigation.

hippy

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:48 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
A hard short to ground would be an extreme it would be expected to mitigate but there's a range of fault conditions the PMIC appears intended to mitigate, and it would seem one of those conditions has occurred if the PMIC has consequently failed or borked itself and no longer powering the Pi.

One would have to determine exactly what the failure mode was, what the consequences of inserting the cable in the wrong socket would likely be, to determine why the PMIC did not prevent that damage, has failed or bricked itself, or whether it could or should have done something else.

foo25

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:55 pm

Rather disappointingly, I've just done exactly the same thing. I'm also quite surprised this is so easy to do. I didn't notice the 'DISPLAY' label working in dim light and it seems I've just fried a brand new board and possible the camera too! :|

hippy

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:34 pm

foo25 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:55 pm
I'm also quite surprised this is so easy to do.
There is not a lot RPT or anyone can do when CSI and DSI requires the same cable connectors but those are incompatible with each other.

At best they could not fit one or the other but that still wouldn't prevent people plugging the wrong thing into either.

Printing "Display" and "Camera" on the board, expecting people to see that, hit the internet, or asking here, to discover or confirm which should be used rather then guessing or making a wrong assumption is not unreasonable.

Google Images has numerous photos of how to connect the camera and where to. Which is what saved me from getting it wrong when I wasn't sure, when I hadn't spotted the silkscreening.

I don't really see what more RPT could have done or could do, but I am sure they are open to taking suggestions.

Imperf3kt

Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:11 pm

hippy wrote:
Printing "Display" and "Camera" on the board, expecting people to see that, hit the internet, or asking here, to discover or confirm which should be used rather then guessing or making a wrong assumption is not unreasonable.
As far as I see, that is already printed on all Pi models I own.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

rpdom

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:14 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:11 pm
hippy wrote:
As far as I see, that is already printed on all Pi models I own.
I think that was the point being made.

Return to “Troubleshooting”