Knoet

Display images (slideshow) on tv/monitor

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:03 pm

Hello Forum,

i am looking for a software to display images through HDMI as an slideshow on an tv/monitor.

Ideally the software pulls the images from somewhere like dropbox, cloudservice, other server or anything like that. If it would be possible to set an schedule per image that would be great.

Since I sort of inheritid the Raspberry I can only read what it says on the hardware: Raspberry Pi3 3 Model B V1.2
I do not mind to freshly install the OS and additional software if neeeded.

Hope I provided enough infos.

Best regards,
Knoet

RPi_Mike

Re: Display images (slideshow) on tv/monitor

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:00 am

Knoet wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:03 pm
i am looking for a software to display images through HDMI as an slideshow on an tv/monitor.

Ideally the software pulls the images from somewhere like dropbox, cloudservice, other server or anything like that. If it would be possible to set an schedule per image that would be great.

Since I sort of inheritid the Raspberry I can only read what it says on the hardware: Raspberry Pi3 3 Model B V1.2
I do not mind to freshly install the OS and additional software if neeeded.

First, you'll need a quality slideshow viewer.

Perhaps you might like my comprehensive tutorial on the best way to view images and slideshows on the Raspberry Pi. It's based on the highly-respected feh image viewer – it even includes a script I wrote that automatically sets everything up for you:

TUTORIAL: Build the #1 Image Viewer – Automatically in 3 Minutes!

As for HDMI, that's simply the Pi's standard video output interface – so there's absolutely nothing you need to do in that regard (other than plugging your Raspberry into any HDMI-capable monitor or TV). It's pure plug-and-play.

To grab images from various servers, the well-established Linux tool known as "wget" works quite well.

And for grabbing those images on a pre-programmed schedule, the "cron" facility is a very robust solution for almost any scheduling task. It's a built-in feature of many Linux distributions (including Raspbian).

I don't wish to get into a coding tutorial or back-and-forth on how to do any of this, but the general idea would be to create a very simple Bash script that contains your wget lines (and any other basic logic you wish) – and then create a "cron job" that points to that script by using the crontab command. By doing that, your Raspberry will automatically activate your image-retrieval script every 30 minutes (or whatever you want).

One of the final lines of your script – assuming you use my image viewing and slideshow tutorial – would be my "fehshow" command. In the script, you would simply "cd" to whatever folder all the images are being downloaded to and then run "fehshow". And BOOM – the feh image-viewing program will automatically start displaying all the images in the folder as a slideshow!

Please realize that the bulk of such a project has absolutely nothing to do with "slideshows" or "graphics" or this particular forum. Instead, it falls under the general heading of "basic Bash scripting on a Linux computer".

One of your best resources, therefore, is to use Google's "site" option to restrict your searching to this website. For example:

crontab site:raspberrypi.org

Since all the tools I've mentioned are not Raspberry-specific, you'll also find excellent information on several Linux-oriented sites as well.

Finally, since you "inherited" your Raspberry from someone else, I wouldn't even think about doing anything until you've burned a completely FRESH copy of Raspbian Desktop onto a microSD card. There's no telling what alterations or damage may have been done by the prior owner, so I would make that your top priority!

aBUGSworstnightmare

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:21 am

@RPi_Mike: wow ... sound pretty complicated...

I'm doing it like this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install feh screen
Then simply write a script like

Code: Select all

screen -dmS pic1 sh -c 'feh -Y -x -q -D 3 -B black -F -Z -z /home/pi/Pictures; exec bash'
screen -dmS vid1 sh -c 'omxplayer --win "0 0 480 270" /home/pi/Videos/01_llama_drama_1080p.mp4; omxplayer --win "800 0 1280 270" /home/pi/Videos/02_gran_dillama_1080p.mp4; omxplayer --win "800 530 1280 800" /home/pi/Videos/03_caminandes_llamigos_1080p.mp4; exec bash'
to get this result
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=960YQle-f2w

In case of stills only simply omit the second line which starts omxplayer.

RPi_Mike

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:51 am

aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:21 am
@RPi_Mike: wow ... sound pretty complicated

It's inevitable that some will mistake a comprehensive answer for a "complicated" one.

I'll leave it to the good readers to decide which is which.

That shouldn't be too hard, given that you ignored almost all of the original poster's concerns.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”