OsenisBombastis

Pixel Desktop stops responding after updating Pi3

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:19 pm

After I update my Raspberry Pi 3 software to the latest version using apt-get update, then apt-get upgrade, everything stops responding in the Pixel Desktop. Keyboard, mouse and wi-fi ALL stop working. I've been avoiding the updates for months, since this has been a persistent problem. Every time I do the update, I end up reinstalling the OS from the image and keeping it un-updated. Luckily I have installed RetroPie with the OS, which forces it to tty1, where I CAN use my keyboard. Though wi-fi still doesn't work (plugging in a network cable allows the network to work). I've even updated the firmware, just in case that was the issue. It's still a no go. Am I the only one experiencing this issue?

vinaypundith

Re: Pixel Desktop stops responding after updating Pi3

Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:38 pm

Try rpi-update before apt-get upgrade, just in case the new versions of programs installed by apt-get upgrade need a newer kernel version to work.
What do you mean by "I've updated the firmware"?
I'm setting up a webpage and email server on a Pi 3B+ running Ubuntu Mate 18.10.
Please read the Unanswered topics section and help with whatever you can!

fruitoftheloom

Re: Pixel Desktop stops responding after updating Pi3

Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:53 pm

OsenisBombastis wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:19 pm
After I update my Raspberry Pi 3 software to the latest version using apt-get update, then apt-get upgrade, everything stops responding in the Pixel Desktop. Keyboard, mouse and wi-fi ALL stop working. I've been avoiding the updates for months, since this has been a persistent problem. Every time I do the update, I end up reinstalling the OS from the image and keeping it un-updated. Luckily I have installed RetroPie with the OS, which forces it to tty1, where I CAN use my keyboard. Though wi-fi still doesn't work (plugging in a network cable allows the network to work). I've even updated the firmware, just in case that was the issue. It's still a no go. Am I the only one experiencing this issue?

Raspbian Wheezy ?
Raspbian Jessie ?
Raspbian Stretch ?

FYI Pixel Desktop was retired July 2017 !
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

Return to “Troubleshooting”