pcmanbob

Re: Clone and “Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk!”

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:11 pm

So at least you know were the problem lies. Got there in the end....

Do you not have a PC (x86) running Linux ?
as that would be the simplest method, use that with dc3dd to create a 64GB image file from the working 64GB SD card then just run pishrink on the image file on the PC .

Then you can copy the now much smaller image file to your mac for writing to SD cards.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

npaisnel

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:22 pm

No linux laptop, but do have a Win7 core i3 Acer here. could look at finding a Live Linu CD to do this...

I do have Win32 Disk Imageer on it..but that I believe only copies/ creates an image of each partition

Can i put dc3dd on the mac?

I'll look at that, make life easier if I can do that.

npaisnel

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:38 pm

Looks like i might be able to do it on the mac. HomeBrew to run dc3dd...
got a dc3dd session running now in the terminal on the Mac.

Then pishrink using Docker

npaisnel

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:39 pm

Ah bugger :(
Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 17.38.00.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 17.38.00.jpg (35.82 KiB) Viewed 693 times

pcmanbob

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:17 pm

npaisnel wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:22 pm

I do have Win32 Disk Imageer on it..but that I believe only copies/ creates an image of each partition

Win32 Disk Imager will make a copy of the SD card in its entirety,
if you select read instead of write it will read the SD card and make an image file that contains both the fat32 and ext4 partitions just the same as dc3dd does.

Its mostly what I have used to make images of SD card since I got my first pi1.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

npaisnel

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:33 pm

Ah, OK

I saw that you Browse' creat an image and select the Drive you wish to copy.
If you have a Rasp Pi SD card in the USB adapter, it appears on the Windows machine as two drives, E: and F: the boot drive and the main partition.

So as I saw it, it would only image one of the partitions..

Once the Mac using HomeBrew and dc3dd is finished...like in 4-5 hours time by the look of it..I'll try the Win32 Imager.

I am also going to try a VMWare Fusion Virtual machine of the Rasp Pi Desktop OS and clone the 64 gb using that.

Alternatively, could I just use the Pi as is, with a External USB HDD...write my dc3dd image to that, ...

procount

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:46 pm

May I propose an alternative approach?
(This is just a basic approach, not step-by-step instructions)

Assuming you have your master 64GB card in the USB SD card reader, and you are running Raspbian on another SD card on your RPi....

1. Create an empty image file on your new Raspbian SD card of sufficient size to store the data from your master 64GB (say 3-4GB from what I have seen in the posts above)
2. Use fdisk to create 2 partitions in the image file: a FAT32 boot partition of the same size as your master boot partition, and an EXT4 root partition to fill the rest of the image (adapt if you have more partitions)
3. Format the partitions as above.
4. Mount the two partitions from the image file (try kpartx)
5. copy or rsync the data on your 64GB partitions into the 2 new partitions of the image file.
6. umount the partitions.
7. Compress the image file with gzip or xz if you wish.
8. Copy the image file to your mac.

Just a thought.....
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

npaisnel

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:58 pm

OK, thanks

will give it a try once the current processes are finished.

currently have dc3dd running on the Mac copying the 64gb SD card and a test run with a USB HDD plugged in to the Pi, dc3dd'ing from a 32gb card to the USB HDD

also found a Rasp Desktop VMWare image..so could perhaps do it in the VMWare Pi machine too...Shame the SD Copier is failing though...sjhoudl that be reported somewhere?

Seems a shame to have a but;lt in tool that does not work properly

procount

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:07 pm

You can report it as an issue on github: https://github.com/raspberrypi-ui/piclone/issues
I will be interested to know the outcome because I use similar code in PINN to clone an SD card.

I also run "Debian x86 with Raspberry Pi Desktop" using VMPlayer (and an old 14.04 Ubuntu). Very useful when messing around with Linux disks.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

npaisnel

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:38 pm

npaisnel wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:33 pm

Alternatively, could I just use the Pi as is, with a External USB HDD...write my dc3dd image to that, ...

Nope that does not work..it starts, but fails at about 24% each time.. FFS ...all i want to do is create an image of the 64gb card.. Getting pissed off now, can see these bloody pi's being used as doorstops very soon!! ;)

npaisnel

Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:34 pm

OK, so

Posted on the pic lone git hub ahead and got a rather short response..
So what do you expect PiClone to do?
All I could reply to that is that I'd expect it to do what it says it is supposed to do , clone a Card and be able to do it to a different sized disk as per th ehe file. Would expect it to handle all partition issues etc.

So SD Copier is a dead end and can be said as 'does not work properly'

So I have tried dc3dd of the 64 gb image to an external HDD, and then pishrink it , then burn to an SD card via Etcher.
It copies. burns but when examined in a GPARTED from another boot,. when the card is not the running card..still shows the error and will not mount

So tried to do what I did not want to do..I used GPARTED on the 64gb card, shrunk it to a smaller partition, and did the same again.

copied with dc3dd and the pishrink

again when written to an SD card .. the SD card boots, but when looked at in GPARTED from another OS, it still shows errors and will not boot.

It just seems the whole clone making process is flawed in some way >>>or is there another explanation ..have been trying to create a clone for many days now.

Any clone, either created via dc3dd/pishrink/Etcher or direct clone with SD Copier... examining the resultant SD card in GPARTED always results int eh cloned card showing the orange triangle and exclamantaion mark

procount

Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:42 pm

Re piclone - you should wait for a response from Simon (spl...) for a proper reply ( if he does).

The image of the error you posted indicates out of date ext4 libraries rather than partition problem.

I know in creating some OS images for Pinn that I can't read some of their filesystems using my aging ubuntu 14.04 distro, so for those I resort to "Debian x86-32 with Raspbian desktop". Maybe that is the problem rather than what you think?

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:48 pm

procount wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:42 pm
Re piclone - you should wait for a response from Simon (spl...) for a proper reply ( if he does).

The image of the error you posted indicates out of date ext4 libraries rather than partition problem.

I know in creating some OS images for Pinn that I can't read some of their filesystems using my aging ubuntu 14.04 distro, so for those I resort to "Debian x86-32 with Raspbian desktop". Maybe that is the problem rather than what you think?

Regards Debian see OPs other post:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 6&t=231402
Retired disgracefully.....

npaisnel

Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:51 pm

Or maybe some FS type problem with the cad I am trying to clone....

I'll have to create a totally fresh 'My custom image' from fresh download and try from that ..but for now I give up

As far as I am now concerned until i prove otherwise, there is no point tin cloning for backing up SD cards as the backup system that is creating them is unreliable. Far better to create a text file with every you do to create your OS, and if need be you can re do it all again..Probably easier than wasting all this time taking backup that give a cals sense of security but ultimately are bloody useless!

;)

No backups for me from now on ..

Return to “Troubleshooting”