ahiebing

7" touchscreen not registering input

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:22 pm

Hi all, I recently purchased the Pi 3B+ and the 7" touchscreen to use for a senior design project. After some difficulty, I got everything displaying properly (turns out I put the white ribbon cable in backwards, d'oh), however, the screen is not registering touch inputs at all.

I ran apt-get update, upgrade, and rpi-update.
dmesg | grep -i ft5406 shows that it is being detected properly.
cat /proc/cmdline | grep bcm2708_fb shows the correct width and height.

It is being powered directly via the 2.5 A power supply to its microUSB port, with power to the Pi itself through the USB Power Out port on the display. I also tried reseating the tiny end of the DSI cable, just in case, as I read those can be touchy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

ahiebing

Re: 7" touchscreen not registering input

Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:14 pm

Bump. Anyone have any ideas? I'd like to get this working soon!

DougieLawson

Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:53 pm

If it's a Raspberry Pi B+, A+, 2B, 3B, 3B+, 3A+ then pull off the green and yellow wires if you've got them wired to the GPIO I2C pins.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

ahiebing

Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:11 pm

I've tried powering through the GPIO (using just the two wires on 5V and GND) and through USB, with the same result. I read that the DSI port can be finicky, but unfortunately I can only reseat the small end of it, as the other end is sealed behind the backplate of the touchscreen and I can't get to it (that part came pre-assembled). So hopefully that's not the issue!

mooblie

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:06 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:53 pm
...some good stuff from Dougie...
[off topic]
Coo. Welcome back Dougie. Loving the sig.! :D
[/offtopic]

DarkPlatinum

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:24 pm

ahiebing wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:22 pm
Hi all, I recently purchased the Pi 3B+ and the 7" touchscreen to use for a senior design project. After some difficulty, I got everything displaying properly (turns out I put the white ribbon cable in backwards, d'oh), however, the screen is not registering touch inputs at all.

I ran apt-get update, upgrade, and rpi-update.
dmesg | grep -i ft5406 shows that it is being detected properly.
cat /proc/cmdline | grep bcm2708_fb shows the correct width and height.

It is being powered directly via the 2.5 A power supply to its microUSB port, with power to the Pi itself through the USB Power Out port on the display. I also tried reseating the tiny end of the DSI cable, just in case, as I read those can be touchy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
If you have not found a solution, you could ask for a replacement from the place you bought it from. There might be a problem with the screen.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): https://html.dynu.net

gkaiseril

Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:17 pm

With the Raspberry PI 3 B+ you only need the 5vdc power either through the GPIO pins or or the USB connector by using 2 power supplies or a Y micro USB connector.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

DougieLawson

Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:27 pm

gkaiseril wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:17 pm
With the Raspberry PI 3 B+ you only need the 5vdc power either through the GPIO pins or or the USB connector by using 2 power supplies or a Y micro USB connector.
I don't use a Y-connector. I have a USB-A to microUSB plugged into the USB-A socket on the display, that microUSB is plugged into the 3B on the display. The wall-wart power supply is connected to the microUSB on the display. It's not as ideal as a Y-connector but the only option since I've put a TV HAT on the 3B (to make a portable TV).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”