atulkatti

Raspberry for the Industry

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:31 am

HI
Is there a model of the Pi to be used in Packaging and process industry available globally. Im thinking of using the Pi B+ but could not find any sufficient cases of the Pi being used in industrial applications. Is there anything lacking in the Pi ?
Last edited by atulkatti on Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Raspberry for the Industry

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:32 am

atulkatti wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:31 am
HI
Is there a model of the Pi for the industry available globally. Im thinking of using the Pi B+ but could not find any sufficient cases of the Pi being used in the industry. Is there anything lacking in the Pi ?

https://www.element14.com/community/doc ... dules-soms
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

atulkatti

Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:06 am

This one doesnt seem to be made for the industry

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:30 am

atulkatti wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:06 am
This one doesnt seem to be made for the industry
The compute module linked is intended for commercial use, although a lot of standard Pis have also been sold into industry (millions)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

atulkatti

Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:10 am

My application requires turning an AC motor on/off based on feedback from temp/pressure/proximity sensors. MY concern is that since this is a critical process, i want to be very careful. Hence checking if Pi is good for industrial purpose

jamesh

Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:42 am

atulkatti wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:10 am
My application requires turning an AC motor on/off based on feedback from temp/pressure/proximity sensors. MY concern is that since this is a critical process, i want to be very careful. Hence checking if Pi is good for industrial purpose
Well, I wouldn't use one for safety critical systems. We do not rate the OS or the hardware in that way. You probably want something more deterministic, like an Arduino.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

atulkatti

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:12 am

wow, so you are saying that when it comes to critical applications the Arduino is more reliable than the Pi

drgeoff

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:59 am

atulkatti wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:12 am
wow, so you are saying that when it comes to critical applications the Arduino is more reliable than the Pi
No. The message you should take onboard is that the software running on an Arduino (a microcontroller) is much simpler and more deterministic. Raspbian on a RPi is a full blooded, multi-user, multi-tasking OS with interrupts and a scheduler. The consequences include some uncertainty about when any action will actually take place. That is a characteristic of most OS (on any computer) that are intended for general purpose "computing" as opposed to " real time controlling".

Almost all of the multitude of files on any RPi are not written by or on behalf of the RaspberryPi Foundation. No guarantees they are bug-free.

jamesh

Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:14 pm

The Arduino is also much simpler, and you control all the software that runs on it, whereas in Linux there is probably 1000 times as much software running, almost all of which is code from elsewhere.

Now most of that code is pretty good (the kernel), but because there is so much of it, you cannot be absolutely sure. With something as simple as an Arduino running all your own code, you can be sure (or as sure as your testing allows), that it will do what you want, in the timescales you want.

BeauSlim

Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:21 am

Proper industrial PLCs are EXPENSIVE and it is often tempting to look at $30 hobbyist boards and wonder if they'd work. They probably _could_ work but the actual cost of using one would end up being more than that of using a proper PLC.

Equipment used in various scenarios generally needs to be certified to meet standards for safety and other factors. The cost of certifying a custom solution is usually so high that building a solution with pre-certified off-the-shelf industrial gear ends up being less.

A really simple at-home example of this is those cheap IOT light switches from China. Most of them have no certification, and under most home fire insurance policies, if it burns your house down, you're screwed.

Gavinmc42

Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:57 am

There are plenty of DIN rail mount cases for Pi's.
This sort of suggests someone is using them in Industry.
Probably no one will admit to it for lots of reasons ;)

I seem to remember a comment from someone who would know, who said " about half of all Pi's are going to industry" :o
Is that still true, or just a Pi legend?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Brandon92

Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:14 am

I think it depends where you want to use it for. If you want to control a machine, like the topic starter, you need a dedicated PLC. Like I told him before. But, if you use him to get extra information about your process, with additional extra sensors. It will not harm anything, at least until someone get a inspection??

And there are product out there that are suitable for a Industrial use, like the BeagleBone Black Industrial. But with the same remarks about controlling machines.

And the DIN rail mount could also be ideal for home automation ;)

atulkatti

Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:02 am

thanks guys...i think im now a bit wary about using PI / Arduino to control a motor. May be sensing is fine, but actuation could be very risky

Brandon92

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:49 am

atulkatti wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:02 am
thanks guys...i think im now a bit wary about using PI / Arduino to control a motor. May be sensing is fine, but actuation could be very risky
In your case. You need a dedicated PLC with a industrial temperature sensor and a industrial weight/pressure sensor. And the code that goes into the PLC need also be written in a good and save way.

And this because it need to run 24/7 and need to be highly riablity in a industrial environment. With a high operation temperature 0-250C (your temperature sensor requirement).

By the way, the "drive" circuit for the motor start with your temperature sensor. And everything in between. So, what happens when the temperature sensor get damaged?

Brandon92

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:00 am

atulkatti wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:50 am
How about Beaglebone Industrial MC
https://www.element14.com/community/doc ... 1539579914
What do you think what the answer is. By reading this topic?

Brandon92

Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:36 am

Okay let me explain it a little bit more.
First of all, I don't know what your knowledge is electronics how familiar you are in this subject. And what it takes to make an industrial machine that is save.

Let's assume that you can use that controller, Rpi, BBB. Do you have the knowledge to make for instance the input of that device robust? That the noise, ESD, EMF,.. will not have a an impact on that signal. As an example, you wanted to use the ds1820, what happens when the sensor breaks down, do you need a back up? Or what happens when you did not mount the cable in a proper way, and it short all the connection to each other. Can the controller handle that, or will he die from that event. And let the machine in a unsafe condition.

boyoh

Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:37 pm

My advice is stick to tried and tested PLC ,for your plant control,, Easy to programme and maintain
They will work withe all the sensors you want to use through in/put & out/put modules ( A/D)
Easy to interface with production line panels relays and contacters, no need to worry about voltage
And current leveling .Easy to trouble shoot ,Remember plant down time costs money

SAFTY All programming must be FAIL TO SAFE, All Isolating must be Manual

Regards BoyOh
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

Return to “Beginners”