nelson.graham

RPi 3 Model B will not read anything from SD card

Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:25 pm

I have tried using two different brand new SD cards and my Pi refuses to boot. There is no green light at all, not even a flicker. I have used the official SD card formatter and installed N00bs and also used etcher to write raspbian directly to the card. I am using an official power supply and all I get is the rainbow screen. I have tried every other troubleshooting forum and guide but I can't find anything helpful. I have heard that every Pi is able to boot when it leaves the factory so it is unlikely that the board is a dud. The pi foundation website is useless as it just links to more guides on how to install N00bs, which I have done and redone about 10 times now. I can clearly see that boot\kernel.img is present on the boot partition of the card but the pi refuses to read anything or show any signs of screen activity.

W. H. Heydt

Re: RPi 3 Model B will not read anything from SD card

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:18 am

What versions of NOOBS and Raspbian are you using? Are you sure your Pi is a Pi3B and not a Pi3B+?

The symptoms you describe are typical of using a version that pre-dates the release of the board.

Return to “Troubleshooting”