Alexander2

Portable gaming setup

Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:03 am

I'm very, VERY, unfamilier with computers.

My school has an hour lunch, and playing mobile games isn't going to cut it for the next few years. I'd like to play computer games.
I remember seeing a video for one of the earlier rapberry pi models, and this seemed like the perfect solution to my problem. I plan to set up a raspberry pi with a iPad mini for a moniter.
There is only one problem: there is only one outlet in the entire cafeteria and, being a non-upperclassmen, I will probably never get it.

If I connect a raspberry pi to my iPad mini, will I be able to use the iPad's battery to power the raspberry pi?
Also, will a keyboard case (bluetooth connected) still work to type on the screen if the raspberry pi is using the iPad as a moniter?

Thanks for helping me. I cannot risk buying a pi and expirimenting because I am too young to legaly work and am relying on what little cash I get during the holidays. Please feel free to correct me.

grininmonkey

Re: Portable gaming setup

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:38 pm

Perhaps something along the lines of a kit I saw on Adafruit... https://www.adafruit.com/product/3728

You can cheap it down some... But looking at that kit, you can get the basic idea. I haven't messed with using an iPad as a screen, but in general... I would suspect the usb amps not being very strong, so you would need to consider powering the Pi and any accessories off the Pi from a battery pack. Adafruit has some good choices and even some good how-to's on "mobile" Pi`ing ;-)

HawaiianPi

Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:10 pm

Alexander2 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:03 am
I'm very, VERY, unfamilier with computers.

My school has an hour lunch, and playing mobile games isn't going to cut it for the next few years. I'd like to play computer games.
What kind of "computer" games. The Pi is not going to play modern PC games. It's based on mobile technology, so it's not going to be any more capable than a tablet or smartphone (many of which are more powerful than even the Pi 3B+).
I remember seeing a video for one of the earlier rapberry pi models, and this seemed like the perfect solution to my problem. I plan to set up a raspberry pi with a iPad mini for a moniter.
There is no way to directly connect a Pi to the iPad screen. It can only be done using a remote desktop application (RealVNC is the preferred and supported solution). This is not a good option for gaming. No remote desktop system will be fast enough for lag free gaming (and some games won't even work that way). You need a monitor of some type for the Pi.

There are some retro-gaming kits that turn a Pi into a portable gaming system, but those only play very old games (retro-games from generations ago), and you have to supply the games.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

DavidS

Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:47 pm

Your best option is likely to get one of the many 10 inch monitors made to mount on the RPi (about $30), get a compatible bluetooth keyboard and mouse (about $25), get a decent high enough capacity USB Battery pack that is capable of providing 2.5 amps or more (about $40), add a Raspbery Pi 3B/3B+ and a case that fits with the 10 inch HDMI monitor.

Now I am sure that some will warn you away from the cheep monitors, though my experience with them has been pretty good, so long as you do not attempt to go touch screen.

This will give a good platform for games of the equilivent of Quake 3, Qube, Doom 3 (though I have not seen a port yet), etc. And a pretty good gaming platform for the reasonable.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Imperf3kt

Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:08 am

DavidS wrote:
Your best option is likely to get one of the many 10 inch monitors made to mount on the RPi (about $30), get a compatible bluetooth keyboard and mouse (about $25), get a decent high enough capacity USB Battery pack that is capable of providing 2.5 amps or more (about $40), add a Raspbery Pi 3B/3B+ and a case that fits with the 10 inch HDMI monitor.

Now I am sure that some will warn you away from the cheep monitors, though my experience with them has been pretty good, so long as you do not attempt to go touch screen.

This will give a good platform for games of the equilivent of Quake 3, Qube, Doom 3 (though I have not seen a port yet), etc. And a pretty good gaming platform for the reasonable.
You missed mentioning to not use a Pi newer than a Pi2b otherwise there will be multiple headaches with "low voltage"
Google is ubiquitous - Try it today, it's free!
https://opensource.com/life/16/10/how-ask-technical-questions

DavidS

Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:11 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:08 am
DavidS wrote:

You missed mentioning to not use a Pi newer than a Pi2b otherwise there will be multiple headaches with "low voltage"
Not if you get a decent enough battery pack, prefferably at least a 20Ah 12Volt pack with a 3A 5Volt converter. I actually did this very setup with my RPi 3B for about 4 months, never had a problem.
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Imperf3kt

Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:47 am

Got any brand names / model numbers? I'd be interested to know myself

DavidS

Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:55 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:47 am
Got any brand names / model numbers? I'd be interested to know myself
Brand generic. Model, many.

For the display I found it on a Walmart listing (most recently), the keyboard and mouse were picked up at a store in a nearby town (closest town, about 100KM away) (not sure which store anymore), 12-volt 20 amp battery, picked up from Walmart in store. You can do a search and find many in the range.

On the displays, when I want one I just order what I find at a low price from a reliable vendor, I have a good number of them all still working (none of them have a model number that I can tell, looking at a couple of them now). They are usually advertised as something along the lines of Display for Raspberry Pi or something similar, often including names of other devices that CAN use them.

That is about it. I no longer have the battery packs, as no longer have any use of them. Oh the 5V 3A adaptors are often sold under automotive brandings, usually for consol power in an automobile. Though I now use a much bigger battery pack that powers my entire house, hooked to 15Amp 5Volt addaptors for 80% of my electronics (including all my RPi), as my house is powered 100% off of a small solar PV array.

Alexander2

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:05 pm

Hey all, thanks for the tips.
The games I planned on playing would have been steam games, including the origional 2005 battlefront 2 and cuphead (maybe).
I would have had to stream to my computer at home using a service such as parsec.
The computer is very old and, considering it plays even generic roblox games at 20 fps, I do not think I own a game a Raspberry B+ could not run (once again maybe: I do not own a B+ at this time).
Sadly, this project will probably not work out for me since parsec and similer streaming services have to have the host computer running to stream, and I don't think it's a good idea to let a old computer which has a history of overheating run while I'm not home.
Not to mention possible latency.

At this point it would be less of a hassel to jailbreak the iPad and change the os to windows or similer (maybe: I am not sure as of right now).

I hope to find another project for a raspberry pi in the future that I could keep local.
Once again thanks and see you guys soon.

Alexander2

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:08 pm

Of course, there are always the cloud computer you can rent with parsec but renting a computer just to kill time at school sounds stupid.

HawaiianPi

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:00 pm

Alexander2 wrote:
At this point it would be less of a hassel to jailbreak the iPad and change the os to windows or similer (maybe: I am not sure as of right now).
Windows/Steam games run on x86 architecture, and you won't be able to get the x86 Windows to run on an iPAD in any sort of useful fashion (even if you could get it to run, which is doubtful, it would be far too slow to use).

You really need to find some iPAD games you like, or get a laptop (I used to play older Steam games on a 4th gen x86 Yoga Ultrabook).

Imperf3kt

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:14 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:00 pm
Alexander2 wrote:
Windows/Steam games run on x86 architecture, and you won't be able to get the x86 Windows to run on an iPAD in any sort of useful fashion (even if you could get it to run, which is doubtful, it would be far too slow to use).

You really need to find some iPAD games you like, or get a laptop (I used to play older Steam games on a 4th gen x86 Yoga Ultrabook).
My personal opinion is that since the OP is at school, they should either study or partake in physical activity, but that's me.

Will5455

Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:10 am

My grandpa played supreme commander on a hp pavilion g6 with radeon hd 7400m graphics and a second gen i3.
does that count?
Oh and guess what I am typing on! :D
I do strange things and am sometimes the techhead stereotype.
deal with it!

Alexander2

Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:21 pm

Im using an HP Pavilion g6 as well! its been loaded with malware whoops

HawaiianPi

Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:55 pm

Wow, a G6 that's still working? I seem to recall that came out about a year after I adopted my bunny Zoom-zoom, and that was back in 2010. I still have a Sony VAIO VPCF121GX/BC from 2010 that works, sort of, and that's a year older than the HP G6.

The Sony's keyboard was messed up, and it was seriously overheating, but I took it apart and fixed a broken heatsink mount, then cleaned it up and applied fresh thermal paste, and just tossed the busted keyboard. It's now sitting in our spare room hosting the "Broken Laptop" Minecraft 1.13.2 SMP server. I call it a headless server, but technically the screen still works. It's got a quad core i7 and 8GB of RAM, but it's still running off a hard drive. I should clone that to a spare SSD and swap it out.

I have another Minecraft SMP server for version 1.12.2 running on a Pi 3B+ (that one really is headless). 1.13 was too much for the little Pi, but the SpigotMC version 1.12.2 server works great (for small groups of players).

Anyway, back to your G6. Time for a wipe and reinstall. I do a clean install of my Win10 gaming laptop about once a year. Usually after the fall update, but this last one was so messed up I'm waiting for the spring update (so I don't have to download hundreds of updates to "fix" the clean install).

If you're not adamant about running Windows on your old lappy, you might want to give Debian x86 with the Raspberry Pi Desktop a try. If you're used to Raspbian you should feel right at home, and it could breathe new life into that... um... "Classic" computer. ;)

DavidS

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:29 pm

Steam games? No chance on a Raspberry Pi, wrong CPU.

Though there are a great number of games for ARM based systems that could be worth looking into. In my opinion many are more worthwhile than the x86 crop of games in the last 20 years. It seems like the companies doing the x86 stuff are attempting to be lazy about overall game play and are more into pushing graphics.

Many of the ARM based games focus more on gameplay, though still have pretty decent graphics. It has gotten to the point it really is not worth porting newer x86 games any more. I think the newest game anyone has recently ported from the x86 world is DarkPlaces, which is an extreme modernasition of one of the best 3D first person shooters (3D FPS) that had come out.

ARM only games may not be as plentifull, though we still have thousands of them that are recent releases. One to look at is !OOLite (a new game based on the concept and gameplay of Elite), and it runs greate on RISC OS on the Raspberry Pi.

Of course as it is at school you can just plug into the nearest ethernet jack and do your own searching. There are thousands of games for the ARM.

Also there are a number of games that are not CPU specific for Linux, if you prefer that operating system (like Raspbian).

Alexander2

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:54 pm

I've decided just to spoil myself and build a new computer. It will be a lot better than this g6 or probably anything I, a newbie, can make with a pi. After all it's only a hour lunch, and I use it to study anyway. It will also be faster for school work, seeing as how it takes a few minutes just to open my google drive on the g6. I think I do understand the pi better, and I see that what Im looking for is just a normal computer. Ive picked up an Arduino and Im trying to learn code at the moment. It'll have to wait since its Eocs month and the height of the playoffs. Plus I need to keep up my tuba skills for the concerts coming up.
Maybe in February...

Will5455

Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:01 pm

Alexander2 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:21 pm
Im using an HP Pavilion g6 as well! its been loaded with malware whoops
malware does not work on linux :D
deal with it!

grininmonkey

Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:29 pm

DavidS wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:29 pm
ARM only games may not be as plentifull, though we still have thousands of them that are recent releases. One to look at is !OOLite (a new game based on the concept and gameplay of Elite), and it runs greate on RISC OS on the Raspberry Pi.
I gota check this out.... I never played Elite, but played EVE for a good while...... just glancing at it on the website... OOlite seems interesting!

DarkPlatinum

Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:43 pm

The Raspberry Pi can probably play some 2003 games on Raspbian. You would have to get a license from eltechs exagear. I would not recommend them though as I purchased a license, but never received an email from them with the key. I then showed them the receipt, and they said my email was not in their database. They do not answer any forum topics, and when they do it is once every 1 month.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): Https://Html.dynu.net

Alexander2

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:39 pm

are you saying the g6 come with linux? its running windows for me. Im confused

Will5455

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:50 am

no I just put linux on it after replacing the hard drive. :D
deal with it!

Famishedrj3

Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:31 pm

There are two options OP can utilize to play pc games at school either stream their pc at home from the raspberry pi or pay for a streaming service but only if your school has decent wifi.

You can also look into getting a lattepanda alpha but its crazy expensive and the support/community doesnt touch the rpis. Im thinking of putting one in a wii-u controller as a side project.

Alexander2

Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:31 pm

I just decided to get a small keyboard for my iPad. Its good enough for school work and Ill find some way to entertain myself.

Famishedrj3

Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:37 pm

Dont give up dude, the best part of tinkering is the learning as well as the process to finding/making a solution to a problem you have. Its so rewarding to create or put together an idea scouring parts and utilizing your own or other ideas to make something you may enjoy.

If you ever want to really venture into making something feel free to message me, maybe I can be of help.

Return to “Gaming”