oldplum

Dilemma? To buy, or not to buy, that is the question.

Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:08 pm

Hello everyone
I am a 66 year old running Ubuntu 18.10 on my desktop and who would really like to get a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ kit similar to https://www.amazon.co.uk/CanaKit-Raspbe ... +b%2B+kits but would it be best if i waited until the new Raspberry Pi 4 is available sometime in February 2019?

My intention is to use the Raspberry Pi as a simple computer until i get some more experience and then perhaps try out something more ambitious.

Thanks for any help and advice

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Dilemma?

Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:26 pm

there afaik no plans for a raspberry pi 4 in the foreseeable future especially not February next year. the Pi3B+ is the latest and greatest and will be for quite a while

DirkS

Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:27 pm

oldplum wrote:
would it be best if i waited until the new Raspberry Pi 4 is available sometime in February 2019?
Or February 2020? It's no use waiting for the next one.
Whatever you do, there's a good chance that the next one appears just after you buy the current model ;)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:32 pm

oldplum wrote:
Hello everyone
I am a 66 year old running Ubuntu 18.10 on my desktop and who would really like to get a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ kit similar to https://www.amazon.co.uk/CanaKit-Raspbe ... +b%2B+kits but would it be best if i waited until the new Raspberry Pi 4 is available sometime in February 2019?

My intention is to use the Raspberry Pi as a simple computer until i get some more experience and then perhaps try out something more ambitious.

There won't be a Pi4 in Feb next year (2019). Going to be quite a bit longer than that!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

PhatFil

Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:45 pm

If in the UK try these trusted authorised pi resellers https://shop.pimoroni.com/ or https://thepihut.com/

that bundle looks like its including a redundand usb to micro converter (useful for Pi-0 models) a HUGE sd card 16gb is ample, and a cheap plastic case.

the heatsinks are probably not needed if you dont box the pi too.

get the pi3b+ now as the Pi4 hasnt even been anounced as yet.

anyway if you get on with your pi and set it to task, your probably going to find a use for a Pi4 when they do arrive on the shelves..

W. H. Heydt

Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:52 pm

jamesh wrote:
There won't be a Pi4 in Feb next year (2019). Going to be quite a bit longer than that!
Is that the definitive word? Just asking for a friend...

jahboater

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:12 pm

oldplum wrote:
That's fine and the current model, the Pi3B+ (make sure you get the "plus" version) will do just what you want.
The Pi will take you as far as you wish. It runs a powerful and complete OS with lots of cool extras.

Get a 3b+ and play with it!
There is lots of help on this site and lots of people in the forum who will help you if you get stuck.

Obviously you will need a monitor (full HD if possible), a mouse and keyboard, and a few good quality micro SD cards 16GB - 32GB are the cheapest now.
Last edited by jahboater on Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamesh

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:14 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
jamesh wrote:
As far as I am concerned, yes. Still loads of work to do.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Andyroo

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:25 pm

Having bought computers from the 6502 days there is always a new machine comming out soon!

Yes it will have go faster stripes, yes it will be the new cool thing but I have always found the slowest thing in the loop is me.

Buy now (I sound like a poor TV ad there) and enjoy. By the time you hit the machine limit from your own skills something will be out to eat your money and yes you will NOT get your cash back but you have had your fun and that I find is worth more.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

fruitoftheloom

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:35 pm

oldplum wrote:
Hello everyone

Just buy it and use it, if you keep waiting for the next big thing you will never buy anything.
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

oldplum

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:11 pm

Hello everyone

I'd like to start off by thanking everyone for taking the time out to reply with help and advice plus links.

I shall be ordering the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ starter kit asap.

Can i connect the Raspberry Pi to a smart tv? And, what about Wi-Fi?

Big thanks everyone

fruitoftheloom

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:16 pm

oldplum wrote:
Hello everyone

I'd like to start off by thanking everyone for taking the time out to reply with help and advice plus links.

I shall be ordering the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ starter kit asap.

Big thanks everyone

https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

W. H. Heydt

Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:55 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:25 pm
Having bought computers from the 6502 days there is always a new machine comming out soon!

Yes it will have go faster stripes, yes it will be the new cool thing but I have always found the slowest thing in the loop is me.

Buy now (I sound like a poor TV ad there) and enjoy. By the time you hit the machine limit from your own skills something will be out to eat your money and yes you will NOT get your cash back but you have had your fun and that I find is worth more.
Many years ago, my wife and I were at a small, local SF convention. At lunch we were talking with a pair of near-retirement school teachers who were wondering when they should get a computer to use for writing. I told them, "When the machine capability is sufficient to your needs at or below what you want to spend, then buy." Yes, there will be a cheaper and more capable machine along very soon, but in the mean time, you have the use of the one you buy.

I think the same principle applies for the OP. For general use and learning, the current Pis--particularly the Pi3B and Pi3B+--are good for the task. Will there be a "better" Pi in the future? Sure. But if he buys what is available now, he will be in a position to understand what any new Pi brings to the table and whether or not he needs that for his purposes. Depending on what he winds up doing, he may find himself buying other Pis--older and slower ones--for specific purposes.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:03 pm

oldplum wrote:
So long as the TV has HDMI input, yes (note that DVI-D is compatible...more on that in a bit). The Pi3B+ has dual band WiFi built in, that is both 24.GHz and 5GHz.

Personally, I prefer to connect computer monitors to Pis. I also don't insist (as was suggested) on full HD (that is, 1920x1080). Rather, much of the time I buy used 17" or 19" LCD monitors with a resolution of 1280x1024 and they work very well. I've gotten 19" monitors for as little as $10 in second-hand shops. The one thing I make sure about is that such monitors have either HDMI input (rare in older monitors, at least where I live) or DVI input, which is quite common. A simple, passive, HDMI to DVI-D cable is all that is needed to connect the Pi to such a monitor.

And--FYI--as for being able to see what is on the screen...I'm older than you are.

Georgi

Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:56 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:14 pm
W. H. Heydt wrote:
jamesh wrote:
As far as I am concerned, yes. Still loads of work to do.
Hopefully, it is ahead of schedule and it would have usb 3.0 bus - needed for my next project ;)

boyoh

Re: Dilemma? To buy, or not to buy, that is the question.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:49 pm

oldplum wrote:
Hello everyone

Just go and get the latest model that is in current use, They all work on the same principle.
Just learn all about it's functions How to use the IN/PUT & OUT/PUT, And do simple projects

Regards BoyOh 87yrs
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

oldplum

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:24 pm

Big thanks for all the kind replies. I shall be ordering my Raspberry Pi 3 B+ without delay.

bensimmo

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:33 pm

If you're using Ubuntu, you should be reasonably fine with Raspbian.

If you can use a 1080/1050 screen all the better, as you can go into settings and click deafults for a large screen.
It works quite well on a 21" 1080p monitor, should should be nice on a larger Smart TV too :-)

Most of all, have fun and do come back and as questions or answer them.

Also where about do you love, there maybe a PiJam or other local to you to have a chat with.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:30 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:33 pm
If you can use a 1080/1050 screen all the better, as you can go into settings and click deafults for a large screen.
It works quite well on a 21" 1080p monitor, should should be nice on a larger Smart TV too :-)
Besides my 17" and 19" 1280x1024 monitors, I've used Pis with a 27" 1920x1080 and 24" 1920x1200. Pis work fine on any of those screen resolutions.

bensimmo

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:44 pm

The screens are no problem..
The ' large screen default' was to make everything larger for easy reading and use.

HawaiianPi

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:08 pm

Almost any TV or monitor with an HDMI or DVI input will work fine. I have used my Pi computers on televisions and monitors with resolutions of full HD (1920x1080p), 1680x1050, 1440x900, 1366x768, 1280x1024 and 1024x768 without a hitch.

If you have a black border around the screen, turn off overscan compensation (which is normally needed with TV, but not monitors). Some screens may require a bit of tweaking if the EDID data is not read correctly. In most cases the Pi will configure the resolution automatically.

For a DVI monitor a direct HDMI-DVI cable is the best option. While I have successfully used HDMI-DVI adapters, others have had problems with them, so avoiding adapters may save you some trouble.

Depending on what you normally do on a "simple computer" you may find even the Pi 3B+ on the slow side. Using one of the new "A1" class micro SD cards can help. I like the new SanDisk Ultra A1 cards because they are affordable and perform well. I mostly use 32GB cards, as they have a good price, performance ratio, and should have enough capacity for most projects (you can add a USB drive later if you need more).

A good power supply is a must. Phone chargers are not recommended, and unfortunately many power supplies advertised for the Pi are just re-purposed pone chargers. The official Raspberry Pi Universal Power Supply is reasonably priced and a proven performer. Click on the green BUY tag above and scroll down a bit.

I own several Pi computers from the old model B up to the latest 3B+ and all 3 models of the Pi Zero. The current version of Raspbian Stretch is compatible with all models available to date. Ubuntu Mate 16.04 is not compatible with the newer 3B+ and 3A+ models which require a new kernel and firmware, but both Ubuntu and Raspbian are based on Debian/GNU Linux, so you shouldn't find the learning curve too steep.

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi community! The people who volunteer their time here to support this amazing little computer are one of the reasons it has become so popular.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Beginners”