marcusarnell

RFID - Timing solution

Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:17 am

Hi all, first time poster so bare with me if I missed if a similar discussion has been brought up before.

I have project in mind to solve a problem me and my buddies are having. For training we race closed loop motocross and mountain biking and we haven´t found a solution for timing our events.

The solutions that are for sale are both to expensive and hard to set up.

I did a similar project when studying at the university on an Arduino Uno but that code is long gone and it required a PC to get a GUI. I would like to run this on a Rpi from my car battery with a small screen connected to 4G via my cell phone.

My plan is to:
1. Use the Rpi as a RFID reader and get a time stamp for each attendant(start time, loop1, loop2 and so on)
2. Either pre-register the RFID-transponders or have a registration mode that sets each attendants ID.
3. Store and sort these in real time on some kind of local database, mysql or similar
4. Post the results online every 10-15 seconds as simple charts, showing the results "semi-live"

Please hit me with some pointers how to start and not do the stupid mistakes that a beginner will make. I am familiar with programming but not on any level, but I usually manage by peeking on similar projects and others code.

//Marcus from Sweden

topguy

Re: RFID - Timing solution

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:28 pm

I'm missing some details here.. are you using the RFID to time the "runs", or just as identification of the drivers and the timing is done somewhere else ?

What RFID technology ?
What would the internet/4G connection be used for ?

Maybe consider having a web-based solution so that the screen can be any phone/tablet/pc with a network connection to the Pi. ( or just a browser running on the pi itself )
Maybe even consider setting the Pi up as an access point, even if it would exclude the 4G tethering to only one phone..

danjperron

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:06 pm

Is it a school project? Because it is the fourth post in less than a week with this request. RFID with attendance.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=225948#p1387383

marcusarnell

Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:52 am

This is not a school project, I did it as one years ago studying electrical engineering but now this is purely as an old nerd on a motorcycle.

Well I left out some details.

The timing is started by the attendant with his personal transponder, triggering a starting point. When finishing the loop another blip of the RFID set the finishing time. Finish1 - Start2 = Loop1, Loop1+Loop2=Result and so on.
There are other ways of racing but this would be the simplest to start with

As for the RFID-technology i assume that a passive transponder and a active receiver is the cheapest. Like the ones at the gym. I would just by one of Ebay for testing. There are several tutorials available for them.

I was thinking to use the local data base and then to upload if and when its possible, the 4G connection in the Swedish woods are not always 100%.
But if the code can be stored locally that would be fine.

/MA

topguy

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:53 am

As for the RFID-technology i assume that a passive transponder and a active receiver is the cheapest. Like the ones at the gym. I would just by one of Ebay for testing. There are several tutorials available for them.
There are different RFID technologies with different features. So I was trying to figure out what kind of reading range you are looking for. It doesnt sound like you are looking for sub-second timing here and that it is a active action by the driver to register his "loops".

marcusarnell

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:49 am

topguy wrote: There are different RFID technologies with different features. So I was trying to figure out what kind of reading range you are looking for. It doesnt sound like you are looking for sub-second timing here and that it is a active action by the driver to register his "loops".
Hi yes sure there are different options, I haven´t really had a thorough look. But if I can get an accuracy better than one second it sure beats manual timing.

The racer will have to stop to swipe the reader anyhow so I believe that the most important feature will be to get a read every time, no one will debate the accuracy of the timer. But if it needs several tries to get the read that will bum them out.

/MA

Return to “General programming discussion”