jack_richard05

Re: STICKY: Introduce yourself!

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:37 am

Hi I'm Jack,
I'm in high school and I love to program. I know 6 programming languages including Python and Java and I have published apps on the Google Play Store.

jalakamkiran

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:22 am

Hi guys,
I am kiran, studying in india and a wannabe raspberrypi-an . I am starting this now. Hope I will do my best to completely learn the pi

jimjulian

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:58 pm

Hello,

My name is Jim Julian (one of many). I have a degree in Psychology and minored in Electronic Engineering. I've been 'playing' with computers for over thirty years. I learned digital cartography from the ESRI Arcviiew 3.2 GIS program suite and the Matlab mathematics laboratory in the mid-2000s, Digital photography, HDR (High Dynamic Range) in the late 90s-early 2000s.
My first computer was a Texas Instruments TI/99A, though my TI-59 calculator had more power and flexibility, as well as a printer.

I use the Raspberry Pi 3B/+ to monitor and control a solar panel array. I collect daily data and graph the results on a webpage administered the Apache browser on the Pi. There are four relays wired as DPDT switches to run a linear actuator in forward and reverse directions. There is a small sensor constructed of small solar cells to determine the direction of the sun. The data from this sensor is compared to data calculations derived from a NOAA spreadsheet. The impacting energy is calculated using equations from pveducation.org's Solar Radiation on a Tilted Surface. Services and timers determine what runs and when. This way, the operation is ketp within daylight hours. I may eventually add one or more analog-to-digital converters, a weather hat, and a GPIO expansion. I already have a Real Time Clock (RTC).

While the event is unlikely, I think a Raspbian virtual machine for desktop and laptop computers running other operating systems, would be a good idea.

I think a small computer for kids to tinker, play, study, or 'fool around' with is a good idea. The cost of failure is small and the rewards of suucess are high.

Best wishes and Good Luck,
Jim Julian

ClassicMaN

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:04 pm

Hello world,

All of you got a amazing story to tell..

Lol not much to tell my self - my name is Manvin from England, I'm planing to start a up a new company as school photographer - developing e-commerce web site right now - this take ages to modify to meet my requirement.

im interested raspberry pi cluster because I want to find the ways if that can speed up my workflow - image batch processing using python or PHP - I haven't start yet im just starting out as newbie level :lol:

ClassicMaN

DivePADI

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:43 pm

Thank you for the add!

Last week I built my first Pi, it is a 3 B+ with PiCam and clear case w/fan. It is my OctoPrint server for my latest 3D printer. Next up is a POC thin client which will then be converted to a WeatherStation. If I could make a submarine out of one I would LOL

gennargiu

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:36 am

Hi, i am Gennaro from Naples italy and year 2016 november i have a buy my first raspberry pi3. I stay used it for my hobby music production with sunvox,sonic pi 3 and audacity softwares ;) I used system gnu linux on my laptop asus x54c and desktop hp elite 8200 ( debian stretch and repository kx studio). On raspberry pi 3 i have a raspbian stretch.

gennaro
Raspberry Pi3 Starter Kit

10osob

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:58 pm

Hello guys. I have 25 yo and work in IT. After work, I am playing in MMORPG Games. I am glad to be here. For sure I am WoW maniac. I am interested in cryptocurrency but not like everybody (bitcoint etc.). My passion is in-game currency so I am sometimes trading WoW gold. If somebody want buy wow gold https://mmoauctions.com/world-of-warcraft/gold here is the great option for price checks.
Last edited by 10osob on Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PerceptualRobots

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:17 pm

Hello,

I'm a roboticist in the process of starting up a robotics compancy based upon a novel approach to robotics based upon how living systems operate, http://www.perceptualrobots.com/2017/11 ... hitecture/

Previously I have work mainly with Lego EV3 but I am looking to do a robotics project with the Raspberry.

Regards,
Rupert

FlirtingWithDisaster

Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:11 am

Hi! I'm Howard.

I see members in their 30's calling themselves codgers so I'm not sure what that makes me at 63! I've been a tinkerer forever, taking apart old tube radios and once in a blue moon actually getting one to work after I "fixed" it.

My first PC was a NEC 286 10 MHZ with a whopping 640K of RAM and a 40 MB (yes, I said MB) hard drive and DOS 3.2 in ROM. Cutting Edge!

I discovered Pi's about a year ago and love these little guys. Slowly learning Python (okay, actually copying and modifying other peoples code to suit me, but that's how I learn best).

Hoping I can start giving back to the community that's given me so many ideas!

Thank You

alierkanimrek

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:03 am

Hi all, I'm Ali

I'm hobbiest coder and have an pi card. I'm working on a server system that aim to connect pi like systems to each other and control them over internet. I hope to share the project soon.

Regards
Ali E.IMREK (rplexus.net developer)

AcmeLabs

Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:23 pm

Hello,

I just wanted to say HI!!

I love in Greenwood, Indiana

I'm totally new to the Raspberry PI. I do have a few projects I'm working on and would love some help and guidance if I could get it.
I'm not sure where to start/post in the forum though.

Thank you.

Ant27

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:49 pm

Hello,

My name is Anthony and I'm a musician that's working on my first Pi project. I'm building a musical pi thing. Not sure of what to call it exactly, but it'll function as a Midi Fighter style instrument with Sanwa arcade buttons, and as a DAW, effects processor, looper, and so on.

Anyways in doing my own research, topics on this forum always come up at the top of the search results. So I thought I'd join the community and give back. I've noticed there can be some gate keeping on this forum, so after I complete my project I'm planning to write up a post on some common questions asked here that I've had and tend to be gate kept. My favorite reply so far was "if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't do it." This forum is intended for people to share, ask and learn about a board that was itself originally intended as a learning tool for children. If you didn't have to ask, there's nothing to learn. It was entertaining to see that irony lost on the person who posted the reply, but at the same time its unfortunate to see those replies as being very common.

If everyone took that advice, the Raspberry PI Foundation would likely go out of business lol. I even saw another reply instructing someone to design, manufacture, and write specific machine code for their own PCB, to obtain a functionality the original poster asked about. After the intimidating set of complex instructions, they concluded that it wasn't worth it and impossible for a beginner like the OP. They failed to mention that such a board already exists by a particular name, and is cheaply available plug-n-play from all the big online retailers. There's always a way for anyone to do something DIY.

So after doing further research, I've answered many questions myself and plan to share what I've found. A few particular questions are frequently asked and have yet to be answered adequately or at all. Some examples by topic: Reusing existing LCD displays from other devices, finding cheap displays, desoldering/soldering usb sockets and cables, setting up and choosing a headless Pi for maximum speed in specific applications, customizing linux, studio quality audio I/O, using the display DSI port, and so on. Hopefully my post will be an informative starting point for others who come across it in search results, and will clear up misinformation that's falsely made certain things out to be dead ends. That's something I wish I had when I started. The spirit of DIY'ing with Pi's is about creativity, working it out for yourself, learning, and being affordable, so as to lower the barrier of learning technology for more people. Anyways that's why I decided to join, and hopefully I'll get to drafting up that post soon.

pilover1986

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:11 am

Hi I'm a new member here you can call me han, I'm a techie lover who wants to try new things specially if there's a gadgets that needed to be tweak, I was happy that there's such this community where I can ask also possibly will be able to help anyone.

maryrosesmithadvance

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:08 am

Hi everyone! Just checking in. :)

Yukon Cornelius

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Hi Folks !

Newcomer to the forum , but not quite a newcomer to the wonderful world of Pi .
I've got some great Pi projects running already , but I'm always looking for more ideas
and hoping that I can make a positive contribution to the forum in general .

I'm from a coding and electronics background going back many years , so the Pi is right up my street ,
and as a long-time Debian user , Raspbian feels like a comfort zone !

mrberty2020

Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:16 pm

Hi all,

My names Robert "prefer Rob though" I'm an I.T Manager for a manufacturing company within the UK.

Passion for all things techie so obviously PI's answer to micro computers has interested me.

I've been a Windows user all my life ( Earn a living looking after these OS environments but getting slightly bored!)

This is where Raspbian & Linux comes in, starting from the ground up I want to learn as much as I can about this new OS and its possible uses.

I have a degree in computer systems & software development although my job doesn't let me use my programming skill set as much as I'd have hoped.

Perfect opportunity to learn Linux / Python programming and we will see where It takes me :D

Cheers :D :) :lol:

Will5455

Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:40 pm

HI all!

I'm will5455 (real name undisclosable as I am 13) plz don't judge me as I am knew-ish. I have had a pi 3 for about a year an 2 arduino's for about 4 months one is an uno other uno R3 clone from elegoo or telegoo. Have used everyone's wonderful advice maaaaaayyyyybeee will contribute a little :)
I do strange things and am sometimes the techhead stereotype.
deal with it!

victorrobinson

Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:00 pm

Myself Victor Robinson working with Zorneo company based in China my hobbies are award-winning travel ninja. Pop culture enthusiast.

Link500

Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:09 am

just bought a pi at target. been eyeing them for awhile now. a friend of mine got one on amazon basically as an emulator box, but I didn't really care for that since I've got all the games i want either as the originals, or through Nintendo's vc service. and besides that you can get those on pretty much any pc already anyway.

what eventually got me to get the pi was i wanted to really learn more about programming in general, and I figured for something cheap but also versatile like the pi, i didn't have much to lose.

I'm currently in the process of making a case for it, and looked up a tutorial on how to install a power button. I may even get another just to link two together(i've read about making a cluster of em, some folks even linking hundreds of em, for what I'd use it for other than just to see how it works i'm not sure).

So yeah, nice to meet everyone.

siribiriz

Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:16 pm

Bought a PI, whooooooooooooooooop it's not here yet, wish it were here already :mrgreen: i love mr green

Darren.Jones

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:45 pm

Hi All,

How many pi's can i own before it becomes a problem?? i have 5 pi's currently, an original 256mb, upto the new pi3B+ and 2* Pi0w

Darren

WastedProps

Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:24 am

(mods, feel free to shift this post into the more appropriate section)

Greetings folks, I was recommended to come here by a fellow user. I'm a replica prop builder and have been building fallout inspired props for about 4 years. I have been planning and sourcing parts to build a replica Fallout terminal based around a raspberry pi 3B+. My plan is to have it run like the terminals in fallout 4 with a few upgrades, i.e. ASCII web browsing, music player with 40's and 50's tracks, the mini games found on holotapes like atomic command, grognak etc and a few other bonus's. I originally started building the mini games in 'Scratch', but found that I couldn't really do much with the final game. ideally I'd probably want to have the games built in html5, but I'm open to suggestions.

this is the sort of thing I'm talking about (runs best on firefox)

https://phosphorus.github.io/app.html?i ... ght=%22360

Cheers.

CleverleyDone

Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:02 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm Martin from Essex England. I have been programming on and off for 31 years since I was 9 on the Amstrad CPC 464.

Currently a very bored IT & Systems Manager! :roll:

Languages & Technologies:

PHP | HTML | CSS | Python | Apache | IIS | MySQL | jQuery | Windows 3.1-10 :)

I have designed and built networks, servers, websites, CDN's, DB's, full back and front end systems for retail and wholesale. :P

I'm not the best, tidiest or even know that much about all the technologies above, but, I know the limitations and the best use cases for each of them. I love combining technologies to reach the end goal.

You can keep up-to-date with my project here: https://github.com/CleverleyDone/MyPi

Home Automation :idea:

MyPi v.1 - Web interface control - BETA
MyPi v.1 - Sensor control - ALPHA
MyPi v.3 - AI Complimented - IN MY HEAD (I am however collecting data already for this)

If I can be of any help to anyone, let me know 8-)

Now...Lets Geek!

jMrL

Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:04 am

Hello !!

I just wanted to say the new front page is awesome.
Remember You Are Amazing!

looking for a person that enjoys speaking and loves tech.
https://yolodigi.com

komoloco

Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:46 am

Hi, I'm Joaquin, aka Komoloco. Nice to see you guys.

Return to “General discussion”