I have just purchased PoE HAT together with RPI 3 Model B+ but cannot make eth0 working. The below is the summary of what I did and tried:
- Only power with PoE HAT works fine, RPI is working fine (no sudden restarts or anything like that), just eth0 link does not work.
- when I start up RPI and check dmesg for any eth0 issues, I can see the only eth0 message after start up:
[ 17.710749] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
- smsc95xx seems to work fine, I see the below in dmesg as well as ifconfig shows eth0 and MAC address but no IP address:
[ 0.280147] usbcore: registered new interface driver smsc95xx
eth0: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether b8:27:eb:5b:75:39 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0
- The two ethernet LEDs (green and yellow) are off.
- The fan works as normal, turning on and off as per the temperature I suppose.
- I updated RPI to the latest version by running but did not help at all.
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade -y
- I am using passive PoE injector, should be compatible with 802.3 af. It powers other two devices in my network without issues, one being older rasberry pi with external PoE splitter.
- Wifi works as normal.
- When I detach PoE HAT and power RPI with USB power cable, all works including eth0 (with yellow LED blinking), can get IP address via DHCP without issues.
I suspect that this is PoE HAT hardware issue and need to get a replacement but first wanted to check here if I am still missing something.