db86694

pi cant find package when time to install

Mon May 07, 2018 11:49 pm

can anyone tell me how it is pi can find and recognize package when i download with wget can list were same package is in directory with ls but gets to stupid to install it with apt- get. how can it find it to list it but not install it. makes no sence it either knows were its at or not? right cant find then lose

SteveSpencer

Re: pi cant find package when time to install

Tue May 08, 2018 10:52 am

Generally speaking, if you are using wget to download a package, then apt-get won't know about the package.
This is because apt-get will get details of packages from (generally public) repositories, via apt-get update.

If you have manually downloaded a package, you should use dpkg to install it.
Steve S
No, I can't think of anything funny that won't offend someone if they want it to...

RaTTuS

Tue May 08, 2018 11:27 am

and you have to be sure that it will work on arm and it's not just x86 binaries
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

k-pi

Tue May 08, 2018 12:15 pm

Likely reason you couldn't use apt to get it is that you didn't do an apt-get update before trying to apt-get install it. 8-)

Heater

Wed May 30, 2018 8:38 pm

What actually is it you are trying to download and install?

apt-get will only install packages from the repositories it knows about.

wget can be used to download pretty much anything.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

bob_binz

Wed May 30, 2018 8:40 pm

Sorry, I've not helped with the double / cross posting issue:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=214824#p1321961

OP, please choose one and we'll work with you in that one alone.

--
BBz

wren

Wed May 30, 2018 9:37 pm

What package? UPS? Fedex? RPM? Where did you download it from? Is it specifically for ARM?

Pan Szymanowski

Wed May 30, 2018 10:17 pm

By default wget puts the downloaded file into the current directory. The name will be the same as it was originally on the server. To find the downloaded file do
ls -ltr
The last shown file is yours.
You can also specify the downloaded filename with "-O" option, i.e
wget http://www.server.com/somecrazynamefile.tar -O myfile.tar
Your file will be myfile.tar in current folder.

db86694

Wed May 30, 2018 10:28 pm

most files I downloaded from git hub and they are files made to work with rasp pi such as piclone, pidesktop-base,and about 28 others because they were written for rasp pi you would think that they would be listed in repo. I find it hard to believe all 30 files are the ones not in repo you would think at least one would be. and yes I did apt-get update apt-get dist upgrade and it made 0% absolutely no difference. I have bought 3 quality sd cards and installed fresh os on them redownloaded files and yes you guessed it cant locate file (that IT downloaded and saved). I followed the very limited instructions I found on subject nothing works! been months trying to figure this out. about ready to scrape pi experiment and stick with windows or android at least if my pc downloads something and saves it it is smat enough not to lose it. any help would be happily accepted. and as I stated before I can easily find package with ls its the pi that "cant locate package" not me if I go get something (download) and put it away (save to archive) and then tell you were I put it (list with ls) then I promise I'm smart enough to get it when I need to use it (install). I guess I just thought that my rasp pi would at least install what it saved I just cant understand how this can be. I thought computers were smart but apperantly not my pi my 5 year old is better at keeping up with stuff

wren

Wed May 30, 2018 11:07 pm

It looks like you're trying to install from source code. apt and dpkg only works with .deb files

git clone https://github.com/raspberrypi-ui/piclone.git
READ THE INSTRUCTIONS
chmod +x autogen.sh
./autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo make install

gkaiseril

Wed May 30, 2018 11:25 pm

In case you missed it, PC's can also use wget to download files to a specified location on the local computer and it works just the same on Raspbian as it does in Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, etc.

Unfortunately for some the RPF does not hold one's hand as much as Microsoft and Apple do, but the also do not charge as much for their products as Microsoft and Apple do.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

Heater

Thu May 31, 2018 6:24 am

db86694,
most files I downloaded from git hub and they are files made to work with rasp pi such as piclone, pidesktop-base,and about 28 others because they were written for rasp pi you would think that they would be listed in repo.
I sense much confusion here.

Just because one has download a file to ones local directory or wherever does not mean the operating system knows anything about it. This is the same in Windows. One can download any windows program from the net and it will end up in the Downloads directory, Windows knows nothing about this. If you want to install it you have to do something else: Find it in the downloads directory, run it, click on OK when Windows asks for permission for it to mess with your machine etc, etc.

The Linux operating system updates and install packages from Raspbian package repositories when you use apt-get update, apt-get install, etc. This is similar to Windows updating itself from wherever it gets updates from. Windows update knows nothing about random files you have downloaded here and there.
I have bought 3 quality sd cards and installed fresh os on them redownloaded files and yes you guessed it cant locate file (that IT downloaded and saved).
That is to be expected. As I said, the OS knows nothing of random files you have downloaded. Same as in Windows or Mac.
...been months trying to figure this out. about ready to scrape pi experiment and stick with windows
I don't see how that helps. Windows behaves the same way, as I explained above.
...at least if my pc downloads something and saves it it is smat enough not to lose it.
I don't know what you mean. When you install packages using apt-get the OS does not lose them, they get installed into your operating system. When you download random files to your home directory the OS also does not lose them, they are there where you downloaded them. Same as in Windows.

I think it would be of great help to you, and help us to help you, if you could mention one specific example of a program you want to install from github or wherever. Tell us what you downloaded, tell us what you did to try and install it. Tell us what happened.

I'm sure you can see that these kinds of details of one particular example will likely get you more useful help than a general statement that you have downloaded a bunch of random files (unknown to us) and something you expected to happen (unknown to us) did not happen.
Last edited by Heater on Thu May 31, 2018 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

mfa298

Thu May 31, 2018 7:19 am

db86694 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:28 pm
I followed the very limited instructions I found on subject nothing works! been months trying to figure this out.
It would help those who want to help you if you provided a bit more detail.
  • What guide are you trying to follow?
  • What is it you're trying to install?
  • What steps are you trying to use to install it?
My crystal ball skills are nowhere near as good as my Linux skills meaning myself (and many others) could probably help if we actually knew what you had tried, and what you were trying to install.

fruitoftheloom

Thu May 31, 2018 7:38 am

Finding it hard to read text without paragraphs but the OP mentioned "pidesktop-base" which is the Element14 file for its ""Desktop PC Kit"'

http://uk.farnell.com/element14/pi-desk ... dp/2687142

http://www.makerspace-uk.co.uk/setting- ... sktop-kit/

Maybe the OP bought this Kit ??

If so Element14 should support ??
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

db86694

Thu May 31, 2018 6:46 pm

ok ill give two examples I used wget to download pidesktop-base-1.1.0.zip and piclone both from GitHub.com they downloaded and pi said it saved files to ardhive. all good so far. then I used ls to make sure file was there and it was listed, again all good here is were trouble starts I then tried apt-get install,dpkg -I, gdebi, and aptitude -f install and everyone of them returned various versions of cant locate file. I still fail to see how it can locate file to list but cantr locate file to install. thanks in advance

rpdom

Thu May 31, 2018 6:50 pm

That's not surprising. None of those tools will understand a .zip file.

Did you read the installation notes on github for the projects. The README file is there for a reason. There is usually an INSTALL file as well to look at.
Last edited by rpdom on Thu May 31, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bob_binz

Thu May 31, 2018 8:11 pm

db86694 wrote:
ok ill give two examples I used wget to download pidesktop-base-1.1.0.zip and piclone both from GitHub.com they downloaded and pi said it saved files to ardhive. all good so far. then I used ls to make sure file was there and it was listed, again all good here is were trouble starts I then tried apt-get install,dpkg -I, gdebi, and aptitude -f install and everyone of them returned various versions of cant locate file. I still fail to see how it can locate file to list but cantr locate file to install. thanks in advance
Just for your future reference, all of the installation options (apt*, dpkg, etc) you have specified are intended to work with packages (installation / data / support files bundled into one or more files, called a package) and are called package managers. These package files normally have a .deb extension (on Debian & Raspbian and other Debian-based variants). Typically, they are stored on a remote software server, called a repository, although you can download (e.g. wget) a .deb file and install it from a local file. As explained above, this is similar to Windows Update downloading updated package files from a Microsoft server and installing everything for you.

The files you have specified are zip files (compressed archives) which you can decompress with:

Code: Select all

unzip pidesktop-base-1.1.0.zip
Now if you then do another ls (to list files) you will notice that in this case you have two pidesktop.... files, the one with the zip extension and one with a deb extension. What's a deb? Well that's what we've just covered, and now you need a package manager to do something with it. In this case, as per https://github.com/pi-desktop/deb-make/releases, you use the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i pidesktop-base-1.1.0.deb
This is one example of how the dpkg command you mentioned needs to be used. Assuming this succeeds pidesktop-base will be installed on your Pi. You will have to research how it is then to be used.

It might be that when you run unzip blahblah.zip, you end up with a folder containing a lot of other files. In which case, follow what rpdom has said and read the README or INSTALL, that will normally be inside the extracted folder, for further guidance.

I hope this makes sense - have a go and come back, then see if you can do piclone yourself.

--
BBz

B.Goode

Thu May 31, 2018 8:25 pm

I used wget to download pidesktop-base-1.1.0.zip and piclone

What is your starting point for this frustrating 'adventure'? What are you trying to accomplish?

Because the Raspberry Pi Foundation recommended and supported Raspbian Stretch Operating System already has a fully functional desktop (GUI) by default, and it also comes with an SD Card Copier utility sometimes referred to as piclone.

So maybe you are hitting problems attempting something that might be redundant?

But to return to answering your substantive question:

In the case of piclone, the installation instructions are indeed in a README file - https://github.com/raspberrypi-ui/piclo ... ter/README
This is an application which allows the SD card inserted into the Pi to be copied to one in a connected USB reader.

To build, run autogen.sh, then ./configure and make.

To generate a Debian package for piclone:
1/ run autogen.sh
2/ run dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
3/ install the deb package with sudo dpkg -i piclone_0.?_armhf.deb

That's what the developer/maintainer has to say.

mfa298

Thu May 31, 2018 9:48 pm

db86694 wrote:
Others have already covered that .zip files aren't something that the package managers (apt, dpkg etc) will deal with. They all need files in a specific format (.deb files) which tell the package manager what else is required and how to install things.

If you're listing what's downloaded on the Pi using tools like ls and cd, then they act on the file system and will show all files (which could be programs, documents or software packages). Within some desktop environments they'll have some idea of how to deal with different types of file if you click on them (same as might happen in windows), but that doesn't happen from the command line (same would probably be true for trying to load a document from the command line on Dos/Windows).

What you're describing is a bit like seeing a show advertised that you want to see and expecting it to automatically appear in a paper diary (for the people who still use those) without anyone actually writing it in the paper diary.

Return to “General discussion”